beef prices again

gh-in-oh

Sorry to all for asking the same question that has been here a lot, but what is a fair price for beef.   Live or hanging weight.   Just sold one to a friend and drove about 80 miles to butcher.  (closer ones were booked out a year)   Beef was 1520 lbs live weight 939 hanging.   Don't want to cheat anyone.  To be honest, i am nervous to turn in a bill with these crazy inflation prices.    Thanks in advance for your input.  

$ 2300 for animal + $300 for pulling your trailer 160 mile.  $ 2600 total. If i were had your animal in my feed lot my net would be a little higher than selling it the way i figured in the example. The example is being generous to the buyer.

We just sold 2 for $2.30 lb dress weight 3 weeks ago.Dressed 842 and 870 lbs.  Kill cut wrap fee is $.85/lb.  This was family and friends so kept it reasonable with what it was selling for at market price that week for choice. 

As crazy as fuel went I'd want $2.50 now at the very least. Let other people give cattle away.  

I have been around $2.80 hanging last few years might go $3.10-3.25 this year to cover higher corn and I think I’ve been a little cheap. I pay trucking (30 miles) and kill fee $75. They pay cut wrap and freeze. $.65 last year. I should have bumped it up a little a year or two ago then this year would only be small increase but I think I got customers hooked on good beef and shouldn’t have many balk at it. I usually have same customers for last 10-15 years so they trust me. That’s what I love about freezer trade I set the price and I make sure I’m over break even without screwing anyone. I figure ALL my costs plus a very small profit. It’s a hobby so costs might be touch on high side but it’s not my main income so it doesn’t have to be big profit 

• Like 1

I have been charging $2.65 / lb. hanging weight.  I pass the kill ($90/hd), cut, wrap ($.70/lb.) charge to the customer.  Everyone seems pretty content with the price.  Had a few customers put a bit extra on for a tip as well.

The 10 approved licensed -etc -etc, processing shops, still open with in 2 hrs are booked 9-14 months out.

When you add it all up,cidiotes here cant pay $ for 100 # in one go, lest 1/4-1/2-whole.

store $4.50  floor sweep or $7.50 ($30 roast) is ok on CC BC,  $2k mo cc,$2k car,$2k house,$2.6K tax,etc is all un-seen PC auto pay bill,while the phone runs their life.

as of 3-5-22 un sellable cattle are being offered in bulk at the monthly (junk ,auction/dealer owned) online only auction. $1.15lb last I looked.  We see if all the govt fees were collected.....?

naturally results and seller info are classified.

• Like 1

Ive been paying 5/lb for the last 3 years processed, though i am not certain that reflects any sort of actual market value. 

going Monday to pick up a pig, i will ask about beef, i may put in for one while i am there. 

we have been charging $3.00 hanging plus processing customer picks up at butcher shop. looks like we will have to raise price this year with higher feed cost.

pete

The way we have been doing it is processed at a usda inspected facility making it legal to sell meat.  If the processor doesn't have a usda inspector on site technically we would have to pre sell the live animal and they would pickup at the processor.

Out the door we have been $6lb finished product.  Probably not enough but we had to start somewhere.

Like mmi says getting into the processor is mission impossible.  The way our place of choice opperates is you keep the same date for following year.  The only way someone gets a spot is if someone drops out which typically doesn't happen.  We have managed to beg our way in but it hasn't been easy.

Thanks for the replies.    Kinda impressed with some of the prices you folks get..... (and good for  you)    As one said, "let others give their beef away"   Sometimes i feel like that guy.   I have just looked at the local market and based it off that.   I think i really need to start selling by hanging weight.   Seems to be a bit easier.    Again, thanks to all who replied.   

49 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

The way we have been doing it is processed at a usda inspected facility making it legal to sell meat.  If the processor doesn't have a usda inspector on site technically we would have to pre sell the live animal and they would pickup at the processor.

Out the door we have been $6lb finished product.  Probably not enough but we had to start somewhere.

Like mmi says getting into the processor is mission impossible.  The way our place of choice opperates is you keep the same date for following year.  The only way someone gets a spot is if someone drops out which typically doesn't happen.  We have managed to beg our way in but it hasn't been easy.

2 yrs back $6 gross would have been high living,we shut the freezer off then at $500 mo.

Most did not want the 60 m trip to nearest PC processor . Couldnt decide how to have it processed, expected  400# steak ,all roast,chuck etc.    or couldnt/wouldnt pay both bills in a quarter.

Yet have no issue going to the store and "charging" $600 for 1/2 full cart.

Back when the BTO processor sent a dedicated pot, was the nice checks $$$$.

But it was a nightmare to get loaded,like it had pirate flag on the door.

4 hours ago, mmi said:

2 yrs back $6 gross would have been high living,we shut the freezer off then at $500 mo.

Most did not want the 60 m trip to nearest PC processor . Couldnt decide how to have it processed, expected  400# steak ,all roast,chuck etc.    or couldnt/wouldnt pay both bills in a quarter.

Yet have no issue going to the store and "charging" $600 for 1/2 full cart.

Back when the BTO processor sent a dedicated pot, was the nice checks $$$$.

But it was a nightmare to get loaded,like it had pirate flag on the door.

Most of our customers are 1st time with freezer beef when they started with us.  I pick the options first time around unless they have experience and truly understand what they want.  Yes, this fall there was one that said they didn't want any ground beef since they could get that cheaper at Walmart.  They just wanted steaks and some roasts.  They ended up not being a customer. 

5 hours ago, gh-in-oh said:

I think i really need to start selling by hanging weight.   Seems to be a bit easier.

It is easier as far as setting your price but you almost have to know who your selling to. I have been very fortunate but I know some friends that got out of doing freezer trade because they got burned on no-pay customers. Most of my customers I work with so it’s pretty reliable. I did have one guy keep telling me next week I’ll have it,next week. I got tired of asking. He finally payed a year later when he wanted more, sorry I’m sold out was my response. 

January 5th 2022, 1/2 beef, 435 lbs hanging weight $905.

Butchering fees, $60 kill, 430 lbs processed @ $0.55/lb, 159 lbs ground to hamburger in 2 lb bags @ $0.25/lb, total butchering fees $358.11

Total $1,263.11 for 430 lbs of meat total = $2.94 total per pound.

This was a beef bought from a friend/customer, he does business with me so I try to do business with him also.

The butcher called and asked how I wanted the beef split up, I told him we were a family of 5 and use a lot of hamburger, then steaks, then roasts.  He processed how he felt would fit us best.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Allen Ulmer said:

Butchering fees, $60 kill, 430 lbs processed @ $0.55/lb, 159 lbs ground to hamburger in 2 lb bags @ $0.25/lb, total butchering fees $358.11

This was a beef bought from a friend/customer, he does business with me so I try to do business with him also.

The butcher called and asked how I wanted the beef split up, I told him we were a family of 5 and use a lot of hamburger, then steaks, then roasts.  He processed how he felt would fit us best.

Similar to what we are getting.  The 435lbs lost quite a bit in bone though didn't it?

48 minutes ago, Allen Ulmer said:

Like you we do more burger than anything else, i get the call whenever the mood strikes Kenny, I assume it has more to do with when he needs a little extra cash than any type of schedule. I “get to” stand there and give my order as they process it, takes about 45 minutes for a half. Kenny says its 2.50 for the beef and 2.50 for processing. But I pay him for the whole deal. So I really don’t actually know how it breaks down. Works out to about 1200 for a half of grass fed black angus. 

On 3/8/2022 at 8:50 AM, gh-in-oh said:

Sorry to all for asking the same question that has been here a lot, but what is a fair price for beef.   Live or hanging weight.   Just sold one to a friend and drove about 80 miles to butcher.  (closer ones were booked out a year)   Beef was 1520 lbs live weight 939 hanging.   Don't want to cheat anyone.  To be honest, i am nervous to turn in a bill with these crazy inflation prices.    Thanks in advance for your input.  

I usually go by live weight and they cover the butcher costs 

1 hour ago, hobbyfarm said:

Similar to what we are getting.  The 435lbs lost quite a bit in bone though didn't it?

Would't you take home about  70% of the 435  or  304 lbs?  Price just went from $2.94 to $4.15  still not to bad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

I’ve always heard 60-65% from live weight to hanging then another 60-65% loss from hanging to retail cuts. I only ever checked one of mine all the way through but those numbers were real close. 

1 minute ago, 1256pickett said:

I’ve always heard 60-65% from live weight to hanging then another 60-65% loss from hanging to retail cuts. I only ever checked one of mine all the way through but those numbers were real close. 

Right.  There is lots of room to sell here but every guy with a steer in his yard is trying too.  Prices are all over the place and we try to be real clear upfront with how it works.  I guess I brought it up because there is a lot of misinformation to unsuspecting customers around here leading people to think they are getting more then they do.

• Like 2