Jump to content

Crusty old dodge.


Missouri Mule
 Share

Recommended Posts

Well. As some of you may or may not know my mother passed away in December. I have been busy all winter trying to go through her belongings and work towards selling her place. In my spare time I feed cows. In my other remaining time I have been working on my latest little project. I like binder tractors and 5.9 cummins trucks. So I bought me a 97 12 valve dodge with a 5 speed. 180k. Been around this truck since it was a couple years old. My now BIL and I used to "borrow" this truck from his dad in high school while he was working out of town. we put most of them miles on it driving around aimlessly. Anyway I suppose it keeps me busy and keeps my mind off of other things so I bought it. Needs alot of work. Head gasket, heater core, brakes, engine front cover gasket, balancer, dash, radio, just to name a few things. When I'm all done I'll still have a crusty old dodge but I like them. Plans are to jerk the bed off and install flat bed. Paint the cab forward and fix rusty rockers and cab corners. I wanted a decent diesel truck to pull trailers around the farms that I can leave my nicer diesel in the shed. I keep denting or scratching up my better truck and sure cant afford a new one. My smooth looking helper posing for a picture. He could fit back in behind that dash to help me get that wretched heater box out. Anyway it's nothing special to most probably but I thought I'd share where I've been lately. 

20220220_200751.jpg

20220220_200832.jpg

20220220_200901.jpg

20220220_200913.jpg

20220220_200924.jpg

20220220_201044.jpg

20220221_095410.jpg

20220221_095426.jpg

  • Like 10
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Is that your dirt daubers at work ?

Not sure what it was. I'm just glad I went the extra step to remove the whole heater box so I could change my evaporator. It was quite a bit of extra work to gain access. Glad I did. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, acem said:

You need a dash pad, probably the most unreliable part on those trucks.

Check the head for cracks if it got hot.

Thx-Ace 

Yes and yes. I bought a whole new dash pad from LMC. It actually fit very nice. It's all installed.  Worst problem is the lower dash is just as brittle as the top. So I  broke a couple places trying to roll the dash back in to get screws started. Theres no physical way to push anywhere on the thing without cracking plastic somewhere around the cluster or radio. I'm not quite ready to swap the whole dash out although I was probably only 30 minutes worth of work from being there. 

My head was cracked. I paid to have it magnafluxed. Good thing because this truck ran perfect. It had a very small coolant leak externally below thermostat housing. Gasket showed where it failed.  It has been like this 15 years at least. They just topped off the coolant everyday. So it wasnt leaking much. Just a little trickle after shut off mainly. 

20220220_080119.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Missouri Mule said:

Well. As some of you may or may not know my mother passed away in December. I have been busy all winter trying to go through her belongings and work towards selling her place. In my spare time I feed cows. In my other remaining time I have been working on my latest little project. I like binder tractors and 5.9 cummins trucks. So I bought me a 97 12 valve dodge with a 5 speed. 180k. Been around this truck since it was a couple years old. My now BIL and I used to "borrow" this truck from his dad in high school while he was working out of town. we put most of them miles on it driving around aimlessly. Anyway I suppose it keeps me busy and keeps my mind off of other things so I bought it. Needs alot of work. Head gasket, heater core, brakes, engine front cover gasket, balancer, dash, radio, just to name a few things. When I'm all done I'll still have a crusty old dodge but I like them. Plans are to jerk the bed off and install flat bed. Paint the cab forward and fix rusty rockers and cab corners. I wanted a decent diesel truck to pull trailers around the farms that I can leave my nicer diesel in the shed. I keep denting or scratching up my better truck and sure cant afford a new one. My smooth looking helper posing for a picture. He could fit back in behind that dash to help me get that wretched heater box out. Anyway it's nothing special to most probably but I thought I'd share where I've been lately. 

20220220_200751.jpg

20220220_200832.jpg

20220220_200901.jpg

20220220_200913.jpg

20220220_200924.jpg

20220220_201044.jpg

20220221_095410.jpg

20220221_095426.jpg

Some kids look all grown up long before their time 😂 look out ladies! 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

Some kids look all grown up long before their time 😂 look out ladies! 

Oh yah. My wife and I joke all the time. He dresses himself every single day and always has. He wears very nice clothes and button up shirts. Very picky about his outfits. I on the other hand wear whatever is in my closet, stained up, oil soaked, holes in Jean's. Could care a less what others think. He will get dirty with me no problem, but if we go to town he wants to change first. Lol

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i had a 98 1/2 model quad cab with the inline injection pump i never had any issues with it for the 10 years i owned it. when i put it up for sale i had more calls than i could answer it ended up going to Indiana, the guy drove all night after i posted the add, guessing i sold it too cheap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, from H to 80 said:

i had a 98 1/2 model quad cab with the inline injection pump i never had any issues with it for the 10 years i owned it. when i put it up for sale i had more calls than i could answer it ended up going to Indiana, the guy drove all night after i posted the add, guessing i sold it too cheap.

Probably so. P pump 5.9's are very sought after. They sure do what was intended for them to do. To a cummins guy this is the 400 series of IH. Hard to beat. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a 96 club cab with the 5 speed.  It looks like your rear doors open.  Probably my favorite truck.  I sold it for what I paid for it.  I probably should have kept it but rust was taking over on the fenders rockers and wheel wells and at the time i thought it was now or never.  I wouldn't mind finding a better one.  I'm guessing less then 10% were 5 speeds. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh man, you've taken on quite the project. I don't bend in the right places to do a lot of what that's going to require. And as you say, there isn't anywhere you can push on anything without cracking some plastic.

My favorite truck of all time was a "48" 1 ton Dodge, flathead six and an unsynchroed 4 banger box. There was dang little you couldn't fix with ridiculous ease. And it still got you from point A to point B. At least once a month I wish I still had it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, N S said:

Oh man, you've taken on quite the project. I don't bend in the right places to do a lot of what that's going to require. And as you say, there isn't anywhere you can push on anything without cracking some plastic.

My favorite truck of all time was a "48" 1 ton Dodge, flathead six and an unsynchroed 4 banger box. There was dang little you couldn't fix with ridiculous ease. And it still got you from point A to point B. At least once a month I wish I still had it.

I really liked the 50 flathead dodge with the 4 speed, including the 7.50x16 tires BUT

I want it in the same condition it was in in 59.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My '96 dually had the Cummins with 5 speed.  Used it for 10 years and only did oil and fuel filter changes.  Batteries lasted about all of that 10 years, finally put new ones in 3 years ago.  I did correct the Killer Dowel Pin on it and never looked back.  Body was straight with no rust at all, but the paint was badly faded.  Still got good price for it when sold.  Replaced it with a '15 Cummins 6 speed hand shaker.  I still like to shift my own.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like a neat project and always good to have a helper to fit into tight spots. 
 

I recently bought a 95 dodge Cummins, 5 speed, 4x4 out of my neighbors junk pile. He used it for years to feed cows with. It had been sitting for 7 years. I put a battery in it, checked all the fluids and the air filter, primed the lift pump and bled the injector lines and it started up and drove. It has no bed and the cab,  front end and frame are so cracked up they are about to fall apart but boy it fires right up and sounds good.  They are good old motors. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, oldscoutdiesel said:

My '96 dually had the Cummins with 5 speed.  Used it for 10 years and only did oil and fuel filter changes.  Batteries lasted about all of that 10 years, finally put new ones in 3 years ago.  I did correct the Killer Dowel Pin on it and never looked back.  Body was straight with no rust at all, but the paint was badly faded.  Still got good price for it when sold.  Replaced it with a '15 Cummins 6 speed hand shaker.  I still like to shift my own.

Yep. First thing I went after was the killer dowl pin. It had already left the building. Got lucky or at least he did. I drove it all of 2 miles home and tore it down. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the 95 3500 4x4 dually with 5.9 12 valve  5 speed.   Prefer driving it more then my Ford f350 with the 7.3 powerstroke.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Those heater cores are a B???? to get at in all trucks.

The problem is, will the new one leak?

Quality is no more.

A big project but well worth it.

 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Yep. First thing I went after was the killer dowl pin. It had already left the building. Got lucky or at least he did. I drove it all of 2 miles home and tore it down. 

Not to derail, but what is this killer dowel pin?  I've been around several of these engines but never owned one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The timing gears are in a separate aluminum housing bolted on to the front of the engine.  The dowel pin is used as a locator for installing that housing.  It's not a real tight, press fit on the pin and has been known to slide out of its bore hole and drop to the bottom of the housing.  Sometimes it falls into the timing gears (no chain drive on this one) and makes a big mess breaking all kinds of parts.  And sometimes it's just found in the bottom.  One removes the crankshaft pulley, usually fan and radiator and cover of timing gear housing, and either bores a hole in the block to install a set screw against the dowel pin or attaches a tab over the pin that is held in place by a nearby bolt.  It was quite common as a problem in all 12 valve engines  '89-98 up to the 24 valve engines.  Geno's Garage sells the kit for $65.00 and articles in the Turbo Diesel Register magazine documents the process.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You cant beat those engines, I have 2 that are 24 valves with over 300,000 on them and they are like the energizer bunny. I have a 12 valve with a P pump waiting in the wings for a project. Right now around here a 12 valve or 24 valve in a decent body will bring crazy money. My diesel mechanic just sold a 97 3500 with a decent body and  200,00+ for $25,000. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...