Don’t see too many of these

Big Bud guy

3F95730F-B77B-4AB7-9C32-2C9F1887B815.jpeg

Uncommon around here anyway.  Saw this today at the local JD lot.  1977 4630 with a powershift.  So you can bash the 404, the jerk O matic, the cab post, and then finally the HFWD.  If anything maybe it would have made a decent loader tractor on a livestock farm.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I know a guy who has one.  He pulled a 16 row planter with it for a while.  Not a bad unit but lots of improvements when you get to a 40 series.  IMHO that weight bracket on it is worth some coin.  Those are hard to find.  Or at least around here.  That’s a pretty straight clean tractor.   Those steps make all the difference.   The ones around here of that age have mostly had the radish on dairy farms.  We have a 4440 at work you don’t want to set anything down next to the seat cause it might fall through.  That tractor runs like a sewing machine.  I know everyone on here bashes them but that tractor runs smooth.   Northeast is hard on stuff.  

2 minutes ago, Paystar5000 said:

I know a guy who has one.  He pulled a 16 row planter with it for a while.  Not a bad unit but lots of improvements when you get to a 40 series.  IMHO that weight bracket on it is worth some coin.  Those are hard to find.  Or at least around here.  That’s a pretty straight clean tractor.   Those steps make all the difference.   The ones around here of that age have mostly had the radish on dairy farms.  We have a 4440 at work you don’t want to set anything down next to the seat cause it might fall through.  That tractor runs like a sewing machine.  I know everyone on here bashes them but that tractor runs smooth.   Northeast is hard on stuff.  

I have one of those brackets in a barn that hasn’t been bolted to anything in 40 years. Are they worth anything?

6 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I have one of those brackets in a barn that hasn’t been bolted to anything in 40 years. Are they worth anything?

If they are the 30 series they are worth something 

Never knew it until 2 days ago. A guy had a ad looking for those weights for a 4430. We have 2 sets off 10 or 20s. Called him and he told me he was specifically looking for the single row 4430 not the double row like on 4630. The correct 4430 rail has a hole and longer slot than 20.

4E7478D1-E439-4903-B306-E6ECA8CF3A71.png

2F62389D-E15E-4903-8F5B-DFE0FBBBC339.png

31459586-F524-421D-AA74-8A61AD6DF33B.png

4 minutes ago, dale560 said:

If they are the 30 series they are worth something 

It came on a 1973 4230 that my dad bought in the mid ‘70s. I think it also had 10 or so weights bolted on it. My dad took it off when he got it because he thought it was a crazy amount of weight on a 4230. I don’t know how much the bracket weighs, but it is very heavy. 

1 hour ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

It came on a 1973 4230 that my dad bought in the mid ‘70s. I think it also had 10 or so weights bolted on it. My dad took it off when he got it because he thought it was a crazy amount of weight on a 4230. I don’t know how much the bracket weighs, but it is very heavy. 

The set with brackets is probably 1000 to 1500. They are rarer for the 30 series. A 20 series set will bring 600.

• Like 1

No, it wouldn't make a good loader tractor. The loader would quit working when you held the clutch pedal down too long. Oops, that's the 20 series, sorry.

All joking aside, I see more front wheel assist John deeres from the 20, 30, and 40 series around here than most other places. I think guys liked them for getting around in the snow in the winter. One farm here had a 4630 like that one. They said it rode nice going down the road but as far as extra pulling for tillage it didn't do much. They sold it and bought a 3788.

BIL bought a 4630 when he started out on his own. Has been an excellent horse for him and was his only tractor for probably 8 years. Did everything for him and then some. Now it's one of many around there, but is still put into use and runs and looks great. I am red through and through but those were good tractors. 

2 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

The last double one I saw starter weight and side frames was 500 ish.  The weights on my 4020 are single row.  They look just like the ones dale is showing go on a 4430.  I will have to investigate this.  They were given to me by a guy who went to Florida , Georgia, Alabama every winter and bought tractors and had them trucked up here.    They could be off just about anything.  

Never see 30 series with fwa.  Typically not until the 50 series here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dale560 said:

The set with brackets is probably 1000 to 1500. They are rarer for the 30 series. A 20 series set will bring 600.

We still have the tractor. It is an open station with synchro range, I forget the derogatory name for a synchro range on here. I always thought I should put it back on the tractor just so it isn’t sitting in the barn doing nothing. It would make a fantastic bumper. 

1 minute ago, hobbyfarm said:

Never see 30 series with fwa.  Typically not until the 50 series here.

The 50 series had mechanical four wheel drive, a major improvement. The 20, 30, and 40 series had the hydraulic front wheel assist as an option. 

We had a two wheel drive 4630 . I prefer the 1586 or 1566 over it in every way. It was so hard to start if cool out yet according to the local JD mechanics it was a good runner 

4 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

3F95730F-B77B-4AB7-9C32-2C9F1887B815.jpeg

Uncommon around here anyway.  Saw this today at the local JD lot.  1977 4630 with a powershift.  So you can bash the 404, the jerk O matic, the cab post, and then finally the HFWD.  If anything maybe it would have made a decent loader tractor on a livestock farm.  

I don’t know much about them, but I really really hate the windshields/door arrangements in those cabs. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I don’t know much about them, but I really really hate the windshields/door arrangements in those cabs. 

Of course.  But in 1973 I’d rather sit in one of these for week then a 66 for a day.  

It’s the bracket 2 in first picture that is the harder one to find. The double set in second picture you see more often. That first picture no 2 with the round hole is the more rare. It  was only early or so 30 series. The other 20 bracket works but is not right.

2 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Of course.  But in 1973 I’d rather sit in one of these for week then a 66 for a day.  

In all fairness, I wouldn't disagree with that statement.

• Like 1

I have spent fair amount of time in both 66 series and JD 30 series. If all else faile you could hear radio in 4630. In all fairness if a 66 was new with deluxe cab foam all in place it probably was better then.

• Like 1

The deal about the JD HFWA is that it was NOT a full time four wheel drive, if I remember correctly, the control had a "high torque" and a "low torque", along with the OFF position.  Oliver also had a hydraulic front wheel drive/assist option, but I do not know how it was marketed.  The John Deere had a larger hydraulic pump to supply the front wheel motors, and I can see how full time use would overheat the hydraulic oil, possibly to the point of breaking the oil down.

I find it interesting that Oliver also offered a MFWD axle at the same time, which brings up the question as to which one was cheaper.

download.jpg.ac2b2a14cb26ea76d777336b2fd3feea.jpg884804756_download(1).jpg.d21f106ee708c6c7e5909a1914b764c6.jpg

When I was at BT&I, we had a 4430 come thru the shop, with a non-functional HFWA, and the solenoids on the control were NLA.

What I did NOT know is that the single slab, and the double stack front weights were available for the 30 series, and possibly the 40 series.  The only 30 series I thought either weight brackets were available for was the 6030, and I saw a set at the JD dealer in Cimmaron, KS, and they absolutely dwarfed the brackets for the smaller 20 series which were being sold at the same time.

And just for grins and giggles, this would have been very similar to the 4020 PS that one of my cousins bought in either 70-71.

0L9A4235-M.jpg.d219b2eaa23edc7a010dff84fc127124.jpg

• Like 1