Sadly the AN225 has been destroyed by Russian forces. If you've ever seen it in person it was truly an awesome sight.

AN225.webp

• Sad 1

I was in it back in 1990 when at OKC, OK on an air show circuit. Very large and loud when doing the "pattern" for the show.  

Saw at an air showing the 90s also, Russian fit and finish was rough on the skin IIRC

I was broken hearted when I read this earlier.

However, I'll tell a story that makes me feel good now.

Possibly the worst "end of the world" genre movie ever made was "2012". Seriously, whoever thought casting John D. Cusack to play the guy who saves humanity, is supremely idiotic by Hollywood standards even. I mean, they shouldn't even be allowed near a middle school play. Just stupid on a whole other level. 

Anyway, there's a bunch of scenes with the AN225 in that movie. There's a stereotypical obnoxious Oligarch type who charters it to get the "safe place" away from the unfolding global doom of the -hold on- -brace yourself for the shock- -you're never gonna guess- out of control climate change causing the earth to rupture from within like a celestial pimple.

Anyway, there's a scene where the plane *barely* makes it, taking off as the earth falls away from underneath it or something (where the **** does the earth *fall* to you ask? You wouldn't understand. It's science) Stereotypical Oligarch guy says something along the lines of "If course it take off. It is Russian plane!" Now mind you, since the plane began flying in the nineties it's had a FRIGGIN UKRAINIAN FLAG RIGHT ON THE FRONT AND UKRAINIAN BLUE AND YELLOW LIVERY.

So right in the middle of the crowded theater, like the smug know it all airplane nerd I was (am?), I said (intentionally loudly mind you) "Those morons. It's not Russian! It's a Ukranian plane". I got some groans and eye rolling from my companions, but it made me feel better!

• Like 3

1992 I saw it at the Abbotsford air show, very large and in charge, very cool, I think they had a flight team there also. first time i ever saw a fighter do a tail slide about 1,500' in the air.

29 minutes ago, from H to 80 said:

A plane no matter how rare is just a plane,at least 35 children have been killed so far in this power trip of Putin's.

I'm sure anyone here would give ten thousand Antonovs to save a child's life. ****, most would give their own. It's certainly not a matter of one-or-the-other. Please don't make it out to be that.

I watched that video of those medical staff doing pediatric CPR on that little girl and I cried. Uncontrollably. I felt useless and helpless. I called my little girl's babysitter just to check on her.

I spent hours thinking and feeling all kinds of things. Sorrow and anger and sadness are not exclusive. They're cumulative.

• Like 1

Sometime in the early 90's they used a AN225 to haul two (2) complete cotton gins and all the equipment for them from Lubbock,Texas to India. A really big deal at the time.

• 1 month later...

about what has been shown,BUT worse here on the woookie channels.

one would not call it a rebuild vs replacement

IIRC there are air frame pieces in "other storage" and alot of the UC was replaced 1 -3x per cycle anyhow.