Best first line of a song?

Sledgehammer

55 minutes ago, bob_carr said:

Thank you for starting this thread.  Browsing fourteen screens of responses has triggered a lot of recollection and nods.

A few that come to mind for me:

"All the leaves were brown and the skies were gray" - Mamas and Papas

"Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away" - Beatles

""Hello Darkness my old friend" - Paul Simon.

Those are some great ones.

“Last night I dug your picture out from our old dresser drawer, I set it on the table and talked to it til 4” - Diggin Up Bones, Randy Travis

• Like 4

I hurt myself today

To see if I still feel

Johnny Cash - Hurt

Haunting song and IMHO a helluva song to go out on

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

I hurt myself today

To see if I still feel

Johnny Cash - Hurt

I always hated that song because it was right at the end. Kind of like I don’t like John Wayne in “The Shootist” because it was his last movie. Not that the song or movie aren’t good, just don’t like the implication. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandhiller said:

I hurt myself today

To see if I still feel

Johnny Cash - Hurt

a head banger group 'Nine Inch Nails" wrote that song not Johnny 😲but Johnny owned it.!!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hillman said:

a head banger group 'Nine Inch Nails" wrote that song not Johnny 😲but Johnny owned it.!!!!

Yes, I knew that but had forgotten, thank you!

1 hour ago, Sledgehammer said:

I always hated that song because it was right at the end. Kind of like I don’t like John Wayne in “The Shootist” because it was his last movie. Not that the song or movie aren’t good, just don’t like the implication. 

I understand where you are coming from Todd. 

It is always tough to watch someone you emulate at the end of their life. 

Some psycobabbilist would probably say dealing with our own mortality

Piling on my years here on earth, I have watched many friends and loved ones pass on before me and the number keeps climbing.

I don't deal well with loss so I have chosen to celebrate their lives. 

A coping mechanism of mine.

Not right or wrong, just mine. 

So for me it's remembering good times with friends, listening to the music and watching the movies that helped shape my life.

This songs in this thread bring back a lot of good memories!

• Like 5

Wake up Maggie, I think I got somethin' to say to you...

Rod Stewart - Maggie May

• Like 2

Copenhagen it makes me feel so good.
Copenhagen the way I know it should. 
I put a little chew in my mouth,
Go spittin' and a-slobberin'
All around the house, that
Copenhagen, it makes me feel so good.

Well she rolls her own cigarettes with the work of just on hand 
She acts mean and she cusses I know she wish she were a man 
She got her teeth knocked out by a bucking horse 
And when I told her that It made her look tough 
She just grinned and said I like it that way 
And then she loaded up her lip with snuff 
She's my snooze queen she's my Copenhagen angel 
She's my Beech Nut bunny she's my Red Fox brush hog 

couple of great ones from the late Chris LeDoux. Hard to believe he’s been gone 17 years  seems like just yesterday me and some buddies were singing along when we were in college 

• Like 4

“I got a gal in Shawneetown, she gets drunk when the sun goes down, she can fight like a man, she can spit and chew, got red bone hound and a mustache too” - Shawneetown, Rocky Alvey

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

and FYI, Shawneetown is a real town on the Ohio river in Southern Illinois. Been there but left the ladies alone 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1. Can I have this dance, my you're lookin pretty, is there something wrong did he leave you hurting, I don't mean to pry but that tear in your eye gave you away.  Perfect stranger
  2. Gotta take a little time,a little time to think things over, gotta read between the lines in case I need it when I'm older. Foreigner 
  3. I'm so tired of being here, suppressed by all my childish fears, if you have leave, I wish that you would just leave, your presence still lingers here, and it won't leave me alone.(My Immortal) Evanescence 
  4. What you needs a sugar daddy, diamond rings and a brand new caddy. Bellamy Brothers 
  5. Diddle do do do, diddle do do do, who is the girl wearing nothing but a smile and a towel in the picture on the billboard in the field on the big ole highway. DEL REEVES
  • Like 1

He had plastic bags wrapped ‘round his shoes, he was covered with the evening news. He had an old pair of wool socks on his hands. 
Craig Morgan- Almost Home

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/30/2022 at 6:47 PM, 1256pickett said:

couple of great ones from the late Chris LeDoux. Hard to believe he’s been gone 17 years  seems like just yesterday me and some buddies were singing along when we were in college

Borrowed his albums from buddies and put on cassette tapes. 

When I had my ACL repl surgery back in '94, wife and I hit every record shop in Lincoln and bought every CD of his we could find. I think we got all the good ones including Gold Buckle Dreams. 

• Like 2

I'm a man who's gone to he** with heaven's blessings.

Chris Ledoux Hairtrigger Colt .44

• Like 2

15 hours ago, sandhiller said:

When I had my ACL repl surgery back in '94, wife and I hit every record shop in Lincoln and bought every CD of his we could find. I think we got all the good ones including Gold Buckle Dreams. 

I think it was a year or two after his death I bought some more of his cds to replace some of the old cassette tapes that, well got wore out. If I remember his family/estate put out a bunch of his older stuff on double cds. I think I actually have 2 or 3 copies of Gold Buckle Dreams plus a copy of the book. 

• Like 1

I almost put this in another thread but it belongs here if it hasn’t shown up yet I’m starting to lose track. 

My daddy left home when I was three
And he didn't leave much to ma and me
Just this old guitar and an empty bottle of booze.
Now, I don't blame him cause he run and hid
But the meanest thing that he ever did
Was before he left, he went and named me "Sue".

• Like 3

18 hours ago, sandhiller said:

....""The Ride""    and "Powder River Home ""....always loved those two of Chris's

Mike

• Like 3

“You never close your eyes any more when I kiss your lips” - You’ve lost that loving feeling”, Righteous Brothers

“I went to a garden party to reminisce with my old friends” - Garden Party, Ricky Nelson

4 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

“You never close your eyes any more when I kiss you lips” - You’ve lost that loving feeling”, Righteous Brothers

Those boys could sing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

“I went to a garden party to reminisce with my old friends” - Garden Party, Ricky Nelson

Heard that one a bunch of times on top 40 radio - from the fender radio of Dad's 2520.  Always liked it.

“You see it at the truck shows, out there on the open road, even in the driveway at his house” - Royal Purple Peterbilt, Leland Martin

Speaking of top 40 songs on the tractor radio, this was one of my favorites back then:

Makin' a livin' the old hard way
Takin' and givin' my day by day
I dig snow and rain and bright sunshine
Draggin' the line (Draggin' the line)

Tommy James - Draggin' the line

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=tommy+james+draggin+the+line

• Like 1

."".....a pterodactyl   was a flyin fool

...just a breeze flappin daddy of the old school

..but a mama dactyl could sure make him drool

Aaaaah---eeee----yaaah""

Nervous Norvis.....  "Ape call , doodly----ah-- Ba "

,,,,going to College , some long years gone, I found that ...ah...'''song''    , highly amusing,   Recounting a,  at times difficult growing up period with my Dad...as recounted on another thread...I remember tormenting him with this  drivel....if he could have got hold of the aforesaid Mr Norvis, Dad would have boiled him in oil   ..or worse..Dad just loathed the crap that I thought was ok.....

I'm not surprised......

Mike