new ride

maurer

Pains me to promote anything not made in the USA...but honda does have a great reputation. Cant really speak for the new crv but it cant be far off.

My aunt had one for 12-13 years, and it finally got wrecked. My MIL has a 2011 and aside from brakes and oil changes it has needed nothing until yesterday when they finally had to put a new cat in it, but I think that is more representative of the driving she does. 
that said I HATE driving it. It does nothing wrong but I just don’t like it, I don’t like the open space between the seats, I don’t like the shifter coming out of the dash, and I don’t like the “golf cart” sensation i get . If you can get past that , its a great car. 
I rented a Rav4 in CO and several of my friends have one, its awesome, comparable in every way to the CRV and has what I consider a much nicer ride and feel, much better driving experience. 

• Like 1

Vt, i cant deny the rav....cousin has an older one late 90s i think and he beats the crap out of it. Keeps on tickin.

2 hours ago, maurer said:

what do you think of the honda cr-v , good, bad, etc ?

i had both ford and honda company vehicles 2008 thru 2014 ford escapes - 2018 CR-V was the last one I had - it didnt ride as good, the seats were not as comfortable from a drivers perspective, cr-v had way more wind/road noise than the escapes and the doors were tinny sounding when you closed them. The CRV was the fancier one with heated seats, moonroof, I want to say like the EX? all wheel drive also. No more power than the escapes. Both got similar MPG around 26 to 30 hwy depending on the road/speeds etc.....reliability was same for both, never had issues with either other than a wty issue on one ford escape 6spd trans when ford got a bad batch of torque converters. All covered under wty. 

we rotated our vehicles out every 3yrs or when they hit 80K they ordered a replacement. 

after my experience with the escapes/fusions for co vehicles and the CR-V I would get a ford personally - I like quiet/smoot/comfort when I am driving long miles for work. If you are getting it for longevity, resale, dont care about quiet/smooth/driver comfort on long trips and have a good line on one for good price - go for it!!! 

im picky when it comes to vehicles and driving long miles so keep that in mind - 

i put appx 400K on the fords and 60K on the honda 

• Like 1

Bought the wifey a 21 CRV EXL package. AWD love it. MPG is 29 local, 34 HWY. Sucker will drive itself. As far as being foreign …..Sticker says built in USA in Indiana. Nice ride. I like the safety features. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Farmall Nut said:

Bought the wifey a 21 CRV EXL package. AWD love it. MPG is 29 local, 34 HWY. Sucker will drive itself. As far as being foreign …..Sticker says built in USA in Indiana. Nice ride. I like the safety features. 

My wife and i would like to get the EXL next time.  She wants the back hatch to open without having to touch it and i would like the leather seats so it is easier to clean.  We take our dogs with us a lot.  The way things are today I don’t think they are any more or less American made than any vehicle.  My wife loves the safety features.  I am not one to always keep my eyes on the road ( usually looking a tractors, construction equipment, what the crops look like etc, so now not only is my wife yelling at me but the car is also.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've had a couple Honda cars and motorcycles, yes it's true 😵 they all were good for mileage, reliability and fit and finish but they aren't the most comfortable driving, middle of the pack there, if you have long trips I would look for something else

• Like 1

I am driving a 2001 Honda Civic now and the 30+ mpg is great.

Not the most comfortable but you can drive it like a rented mule and get great mileage.

Of course the Civic is the smaller economy car. The newer and bigger ones are so much better.

DO NOT buy any vehicle with the CVT transmission (continuous variable transmission).

It is basically a steel snowmobile clutch and they WILL fail. Guaranteed!

Honda used them for awhile and unsure if they got away from them.

I will continue to drive Honda's.

Aren't they made in Kentucky? Or somewhere down that way?

I think they have as many,or more, “domestic” in them than about anything does.   I’m driving a GMC built in Mexico that cost almost 2x as much as our RAV-4 built Here, and the RAV has never been back to the dealership. Same as our last 2.   Can’t say that for the GMC or my Fords.  If Toyota ever builds  comparable pickup, I’ll have one.  The new ‘23 tundra isn’t quite there yet. I have no CRV experience, but we have had 3 Civics…..hands down gotta be the toughest/simplest/most reliable cars ever. Newer ones are even comfortable 

My wife’s parents had one maybe a 06 or07. They traded a 2000 Jeep or something used. It was okay , but had the import choppy ride was’t acomfortable vehicle what so ever. They traded for a Buick after3 years then my mother in-law traded for another low mileage Buick. They are a lot better ride about the same mileage. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Flyer said:

Wife has one. I hate it.

And what you hate the most is that there really isn’t anything legitimate to complain about, right? 

23 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

My aunt had one for 12-13 years, and it finally got wrecked. My MIL has a 2011 and aside from brakes and oil changes it has needed nothing until yesterday when they finally had to put a new cat in it, but I think that is more representative of the driving she does. 
that said I HATE driving it. It does nothing wrong but I just don’t like it, I don’t like the open space between the seats, I don’t like the shifter coming out of the dash, and I don’t like the “golf cart” sensation i get . If you can get past that , its a great car. 
I rented a Rav4 in CO and several of my friends have one, its awesome, comparable in every way to the CRV and has what I consider a much nicer ride and feel, much better driving experience. 

That's funny. My wife has a 2009 RAV4 and I can't stand riding it. That closed in feeling from the center console, the shifter being in the way, the roller skate suspension.  It's one of the few vehicles I get car sick riding in. And, it's a pain in the neck to work on. Try putting rear shocks on one sometime. I tried my best to talk her into a CRV.  She, however, loves the RAV4 so I guess that's all that really matters.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, yellowrosefarm said:

That's funny. My wife has a 2009 RAV4 and I can't stand riding it. That closed in feeling from the center console, the shifter being in the way, the roller skate suspension.  It's one of the few vehicles I get car sick riding in. And, it's a pain in the neck to work on. Try putting rear shocks on one sometime. I tried my best to talk her into a CRV.  She, however, loves the RAV4 so I guess that's all that really matters.

I wanted a real vehicle so we went with the 4Runner, i spend half my life sitting on a pedestal seat in a van or on a bench seat in a rattly truck. I like a nice bucket seat and a console in a personal vehicle. 

On 2/23/2022 at 10:29 AM, Twolines said:

Pains me to promote anything not made in the USA...but honda does have a great reputation. Cant really speak for the new crv but it cant be far off.

They have a large plant in Ohio, I think.

Mom has a Nissan rogue and I have rented an escape at the airport. Both I like much much better than the Honda.  Is there an Acura version of the crv? If you are a Honda fan I’d look at Acura for better fit finish options while keeping the Honda drivetrain. 

Didnt know japanese cars were made here... strange to me. Thanks for the info. Do they have chevy plants in japan?

6 hours ago, Twolines said:

Didnt know japanese cars were made here... strange to me. Thanks for the info. Do they have chevy plants in japan?

No chevy plants in Japan...not a big car market.

7 hours ago, Twolines said:

Certain Japanese cars are, the rav4 is made here, the 4 runner (which has a heavy following world wide) are made entirely in Japan.

Huh, i didnt know this. Wonder what the trade off is? 

Also i was being facetious about the chevy plant...dry sense of humor i guess.

On 2/24/2022 at 8:11 AM, Diesel Doctor said:

Aren't they made in Kentucky? Or somewhere down that way?

Toyotas/Lexus camry's, Avalon's,RAV4 hybrid's,ES350,ES300H  and ford super duty and big suv's are made in Kentucky