Ruger .22 Charger takedown

vtfireman85

Does anyone have one? I am Contemplating one for a truck gun, in VT you can carry loaded in your vehicle if it is a pistol, illegal to do so with a rifle, on my drive I get a pretty good view of where my fox lives, several times if i had had something accurate and loaded I could have had one. 
next question is will the barrel from the takedown rifle fit interchangeably with the charger barrel? 
question 3 is how well would a red dot work?

https://ruger.com/products/22Charger/specSheets/4924.html

1C81ECFC-0C03-414C-ABB3-B4599230F519.png

84B58CAC-1F12-443D-AA78-4F240984B7EB.png

BA9CCAD5-A80B-4E91-9C51-5DF4945C0D7F.png

A3FE3C75-5197-42F0-8705-C5C3B97D2A9F.png

8CB77981-A9E2-4E1D-A5DC-F0455B609399.png

Nice guns. Cant hardly hold like a pistol and can’t hardly hold like a rifle. It’s a 10/22 action so it will work well. Shares many smaller action parts with a MK2 pistol also.  Red dot at 50 yards will likely appear larger than a fox’s head. 

9 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

What about a 10/22 with loaded mag at the ready?   Likely more accurate.....

It is illegal in my state to carry a loaded rifle. I can carry a loaded hand gun in my vehicle, on my person open or concealed . The .22 charger is a pistol. Once i have a “pistol” i can do whatever I want to it. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

It is illegal in my state to carry a loaded rifle. I can carry a loaded hand gun in my vehicle, on my person open or concealed . The .22 charger is a pistol. Once i have a “pistol” i can do whatever I want to it. 

I understand,  I was unclear before, my fault..... can the rifle be unloaded, with a loaded mag at the ready?   Or does it have to be cased etc?

I have never had any luck hitting things at "leery fox" range with a pistol.....especially an awkward one like a Charger....but I see your point about accessibility and immediate availability.  If you could rest it, it would be much better.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

I understand,  I was unclear before, my fault..... can the rifle be unloaded, with a loaded mag at the ready?   Or does it have to be cased etc?

I have never had any luck hitting things at "leery fox" range with a pistol.....especially an awkward one like a Charger....but I see your point about accessibility and immediate availability.  If you could rest it, it would be much better.

The idea is to put then rifle barrel on it to improve accuracy, with a pistol receiver the sky is the limit. 

Red dot answer.

I put a HOLOSUN red dot with a 3mil dot and a 60 mil circle surrounding in on my last "lightweight" 10/22 build......really nice fast sight picture.  Accurate and quick.

20210125_192230.jpg

• Like 1

A traditional scope on a handgun takes much longer to find the target. A Halo style or red dot would allow much faster target acquisition. The charger with a 25rd mag would allow the “spray and pray” theory to be used. I’m a big fan of the MK series Ruger pistols and would just use one of those with iron sights. Only take a shot you know you can make. If you see it and it isn’t a perfect shot, don’t take it. Let it get used to you. I’ve done this with success on varmints in the past. 

• Like 1

Slightly off topic comment.....I never understood why Ruger made a take down Charger other than because they had the parts from the carbine and the "cool factor".  Seems like a solution in search of a problem in some ways for such a short barrel.  Any "switch barrel" features would be negated by the need to realign sights for different barrels.

Maybe I'm missing something with the take down feature because I just don't have a specific situation that needs it?

I have often considered getting a fixed barreled one to noodle around with.....lord knows I have enough 10/22 supporting mags and parts!

29 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

never understood why Ruger made a take down Charger other than because they had the parts from the carbine and the "cool factor". 

I think you just answered your own question there. 
the pack-ability factor is a consideration, though I really don’t think anyone is truly interested in one for that, or they would have an AR7, my personal reasons are straightforward, the pistol grip allows for a secure grip, the 16.5” barrel gives me as much accuracy as I could expect out of a 10/22, and being a pistol from the factory means i am not restricted in barrel length/stock length and i can carry loaded in any place or manner i please. The charger receivers are prized above rifle receivers for the same reason.  As far as getting out of it cheaper I really don’t care that much, i have 10/22 parts coming out my ears and buying another barrel really doesn’t bother me. 

on to the building topic, i have a polished bull barrel, keystone thumb hole laminated stock, BX trigger and Nikon prostaff scope hanging around. I put a black receiver in some zip strip and forgot about it, it got all weird looking, my plan had been to polish it, i may have to start over with a different receiver because I don’t think it will clean up to my satisfaction. 🤬

In the wonderful state of IL we don't get all of those liberties with pistols.....Concealed carry or nothing.......

If you play with 10/22s you end up with a pile of parts!

I would recommend the 3x60 dot/ghost ring set up in a red dot though.....fast...

2 hours ago, acem said:

A friend has one and loves it. However pistol versions of rifles are rarely practical unless you use an arm brace.

Honestly you would be better off with a scoped ruger standard 22 pistol.

HND20-Online-Feature-Ruger-Mk-IV-9.jpg

20200530-153852-2.jpg

I do carry this around when out around and during sugaring season. I have picked off some vermin with it, but usually the smaller sap line chewing varieties. 

F434072A-CAC5-43C8-9163-B5F7E124AC56.jpeg

• Like 1

On the idea of going the MK route, this outweighs the full size 1911 by 15 oz and the charger by 2oz but I think it wins the cool factor award. 

056FD132-9BDA-4841-85C3-DC50A873A380.png

CD59567F-0978-428D-9225-63B72064378A.jpeg

Bull barrel version is a tank for sure.   Friend has an older std barrel 10" that's not horrible, but still heavy.

Love my mark 2s and 3s, but prefer them in the 22/45 version.....love that 1911 grip!

22/45 Lite is a slick pistol.....lots of fun!

6 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

Bull barrel version is a tank for sure.   Friend has an older std barrel 10" that's not horrible, but still heavy.

Love my mark 2s and 3s, but prefer them in the 22/45 version.....love that 1911 grip!

22/45 Lite is a slick pistol.....lots of fun!

I built a light 22/45 right before you could buy them. Took a plastic grip 22/45 and added a pac-lite upper on it. The one I had didn’t have the interchangeable grips so I sanded the solid grips out and drilled/tapped it for actual 1911 grips. 

The long bull barrel versions are nice but I’ve found that the 4” bull, 6-7/8” heavy taper, or even the old slab side bull barrel will shoot far better than 98% of the guys holding them (myself included) 

• Like 1