5288 Front Axle

TB5288

My 2wd 5288 has the standard round front axle, I'd sure like it to have the high capacity axle. IF I can find a complete high capacity axle, is it as simple as pulling the pins on the round axle and installing the pins back in the square axle? Will they inter-change? What about the power steering cylinder and cylinder retaining yoke? Nothing wrong with mine, will they fit the square axle? Thanks for any information. 

I think after a certain serial number break they made the bolster to fit both axles.  But without my book in front of me, I can't look.   I think the steering cylinder is different, but hook up the same underneath, may just need longer hoses. 

The CNH website for parts look up just plain out right sucks.  They don't list all the parts unless it's actually available and you can't view the diagram and list breakdown at the same time without going back and forth....just dumb.

55 minutes ago, IHC5488 said:

you can't view the diagram and list breakdown at the same time without going back and forth

What are you using to view the site? This is what I see, and as you can see the diagram is on the left and the parts breakdown is on the right. No "going back and forth."

If it's on your phone, that's your phone. There isn't room to have both on that tiny screen and have it readable.

1469785345_5488frontend.jpg.6d9a4de134cabf2a4120066c8874bab1.jpg

32 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

What are you using to view the site? This is what I see, and as you can see the diagram is on the left and the parts breakdown is on the right. No "going back and forth."

If it's on your phone, that's your phone. There isn't room to have both on that tiny screen and have it readable.

1469785345_5488frontend.jpg.6d9a4de134cabf2a4120066c8874bab1.jpg

It's is on my phone, which happens alot when I am in the field.....but the diagram you show above I don't recognize even when I am home and using the home computer.   I must not be hitting the right buttons....  I just go to my office and get the good old books down and use them.

Thanks for sharing that with me.

Matt

9 minutes ago, IHC5488 said:

but the diagram you show above I don't recognize even when I am home and using the home computer

Google Chrome works best for me. I also have used Mozilla but it has developed a nasty habit of stacking everything along the left side of the page, including this site. Having to reload every page twice got frustrating so I quit using it.

Why are you wanting to go to so much trouble switching  front ends ? is it damaged ?  are you using a loader ?  I  like to keep things original myself  

Spindles, tired of buying spindles. I replaced the OEM spindles several years ago because the splines were wore on top. Had to bright idea of installing aftermarket taper mate spindles. Major mistake, they are junk. No loader, standard weight on front. I've probably snapped 8 in the last five years. Lucky never running on road. Twice I broke both at the same time, that's quite a ride! This is just by hitting things that are not very rough. Never broke an OEM one doing same work. I just thought for the price of 2 OEM spindles and arms maybe I could find a good used heavy duty axle for close to the same money.

Doesn't make sense changing it over its about the same front axle as the late 1086 I never had spindles break unless your running over some really hard ground too fast

6 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

Doesn't make sense changing it over its about the same front axle as the late 1086 I never had spindles break unless your running over some really hard ground too fast

I have a 1026, 966, 1066, 1486 and 5288. They all take the same spindle. THAT is what doesn't make sense to me. The 1026, 966, and 1486 have loaders. I can't tell you how many have broke on 9 & 10, a bunch. I'm not talking abuse either, now days you tiptoe around I'd there is a bale on the front. Frozen cow pies, those are bad. Hit one onetime going 2-3 miles per hour, just as I hit it I knew it was going to be bad. Yep, Boom! One side fell down causing the other side to bounce and there it went also. Never have broke one on 1486. They are OEM. Try not to lift anything heavy with them anymore, got a Cat loader for that.

Where are you getting your replacement spindles from? I've never broke one you must have the old style straight slpine spindle arms if your spindles are all the same on the tractors you have My 1086 has the tapered spline type I broke one on my combine once but your talking twice the weight also

Had a guy that would buy good, used spindles off of 1460 combines for his 86 series loader tractor, after he'd broke several aftermarket spindles.  Ones from a combine usually weren't worn as bad as tractor spindles could be, and he must've had good luck after that, cause I didn't hear anything about spindle trouble from him after that.

2 minutes ago, Nebraska1206 said:

Had a guy that would buy good, used spindles off of 1460 combines for his 86 series loader tractor, after he'd broke several aftermarket spindles.  Ones from a combine usually weren't worn as bad as tractor spindles could be, and he must've had good luck after that, cause I didn't hear anything about spindle trouble from him after that.

Wear is the least of your worries its the hairline breaks that cause the problems , A combine spindle would be worse to me I'd buy a new one from CaseIH and be done with it  

40 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

Where are you getting your replacement spindles from? I've never broke one you must have the old style straight slpine spindle arms if your spindles are all the same on the tractors you have My 1086 has the tapered spline type I broke one on my combine once but your talking twice the weight also

At first I was getting them from Abilene Machine, then some from All-State and lately from Hy-Capacity. Honestly, I think they all get them from the same place. The splines were straight on all of them when they were OEM, they have the snap ring that the arm bottoms out on because they are straight splines. When I went to after-market I went to the taper-mate set. When I replaced the spindle I replaced the arm also. You can get an after-market straight spline spindle also. I never tried one of them, I originally changed to the taper-mate setup because the splines on the OEM spindles would wear and that's why I would have to replace them over the years. I thought I was bettering myself with the tapered splines but not it they keep breaking. Can't get tapered OEM, only straight. This is off HY-Cap site. For all 2wd 66,68,86 & 88 Series. This schematic doesn't mention the 26 Series, but it's the same also. 

image.png.082eb7fa86f05909f4f235c0bcc30979.png

5 minutes ago, TB5288 said:

At first I was getting them from Abilene Machine, then some from All-State and lately from Hy-Capacity. Honestly, I think they all get them from the same place. The splines were straight on all of them when they were OEM, they have the snap ring that the arm bottoms out on because they are straight splines. When I went to after-market I went to the taper-mate set. When I replaced the spindle I replaced the arm also. You can get an after-market straight spline spindle also. I never tried one of them, I originally changed to the taper-mate setup because the splines on the OEM spindles would wear and that's why I would have to replace them over the years. I thought I was bettering myself with the tapered splines but not it they keep breaking. Can't get tapered OEM, only straight. This is off HY-Cap site. For all 2wd 66,68,86 & 88 Series. This schematic doesn't mention the 26 Series, but it's the same also. 

image.png.082eb7fa86f05909f4f235c0bcc30979.png

Abilene machines spindles are junk I used one on a 4440 JD once to get it going again and it broke the next year I'd won't buy another one there ever 

19 hours ago, 88seriesrestorer said:

bolster and all is different.  even the handpump is different.  but you can get by withthe one you have

Mike

It's a job, just ask ihrondiesel, he did one of his a few years back. 

I would bet Abilene Machine, HyCapacity and All States all get them from A&I. Pictures are almost identical on their websites. 

14 minutes ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

It's a job, just ask ihrondiesel, he did one of his a few years back. 

I would bet Abilene Machine, HyCapacity and All States all get them from A&I. Pictures are almost identical on their websites. 

All States and A&I

Spindle - Right Hand or Left Hand fits Case IH 7110 7140 7230 7120 7150 7240 7130 fits McCormick fits International 5088 5288 5488 fits New Holland (155763)

Spindle, Heavy Duty, 2WD, LH or RH

Hy Capacity

Abilene Machine

Spindle - Right or Left Hand

i doubt a&i are making them. agree their all coming from the same place in china. even case ih ones. i try to keep the original spindles when possible and use hy cap clamp type steering arms to make up for spline wear

I sold Hy-caps at the dealership. At that time they were making their own and they were as good as the OEM's. I sold both and never had a customer bring back a broken HY-cap spindle. Or OEM for that matter. I wouldn't have given an A & I spindle to my worst enemy. Local tractor salvage yard was selling the A & I's and I was selling the their replacement 6 months later. We are in a high livestock area and there were countless 06-86 series with loaders on them.

I have no idea where abilene gets theirs. never sold one.

8 hours ago, ksfarmdude said:

I don’t think a late 1086 axle has any similarity to a high capacity axle 

9 hours ago, TB5288 said:

Spindles, tired of buying spindles. I replaced the OEM spindles several years ago because the splines were wore on top. Had to bright idea of installing aftermarket taper mate spindles. Major mistake, they are junk. No loader, standard weight on front. I've probably snapped 8 in the last five years. Lucky never running on road. Twice I broke both at the same time, that's quite a ride! This is just by hitting things that are not very rough. Never broke an OEM one doing same work. I just thought for the price of 2 OEM spindles and arms maybe I could find a good used heavy duty axle for close to the same money.

Good luck finding one for about the same money, I paid 2500 for mine and had to completely rebuild it including the bolster, still worth every penny, the knees and spindles are same as 2wd magnum.E149A330-7598-4235-98A0-4AA9E8237145.thumb.jpeg.a406d31964cbf789f5e59dd1517589f6.jpegget the wheels and lug bolts too, the standard wheels and tapered bolts will work, but the offset is wrong, and it cost about 350/side for magnum wheels and bolts, as I can’t find a source for bolts beside CNH for over $14/bolt.

• Like 1

If you do find one check it over really good if there is any wear in that rear pin its not a matter of if but when it will give you problems and if it boggers up you bolster you'll wish for the round tube back and the spindles because its easier to fix and a lot cheap easier to find parts, i'm awful with names but someone was on here not long ago talking about a fwd front end doing the same thing look it up and that thats about the same boat we was in with the square tube we have they got tired of sending money on it and it got swapped out for a round tube 

Look in southern salvage yards for an 1844 cotton picker, they “might” be easier to find. I know in the northern US the salvage yards have a waiting list if they get that axle in. And yes, as has been said, you need the axle and bolster both. It’s not a terribly difficult job, all I had was a bottle jack and a stack of blocks. You can get by without changing the hand pump, steering will just be slower.