766 Diesel died and i cant get primed

766redpower

Need a little help before i do anything else, was plowing snow with my 7 when she died out on me like it was running out of Fuel, which i knew wasnt the case since i just filled it, i thought it was the filters so i changed both of those, now when i try to pump the primer pump i cant feel any fuel getting through it at all, its like it is not getting Fuel even to the filters, but the primer pump is really sloppy feeling, is that in need of new gaskets or something...or should i blow out the lines?? let me know...thanks

First thing I would do is crack the bleeder at the filters and see if fuel runs out.   If not, then take the line from the tank off- if no fuel, blow back into the tank (take the cap off first).  If fuel runs out of the bleeder, then work the other way into the pump. 

• Like 1

My 856 has something in the tank that will rarely move into the right spot and plug the fuel outlet. A little air through the bleeder and its good to go again.

May not happen for years. May happen 4 times a year. I should take the tank off and clean it. It's done this for over 30 years!

Thx-Ace 

Check the things the other guys are telling you  and if it’s sucking the plunger back down with a vacuum then check the fuel flow from the bottom of the tank to the filter base , had one a couple years ago that did this and the tank had stuff in it plugging the line .

Danny

• Like 1

No fuel gelling?

4 hours ago, acem said:

My 856 has something in the tank that will rarely move into the right spot and plug the fuel outlet. A little air through the bleeder and its good to go again.

May not happen for years. May happen 4 times a year. I should take the tank off and clean it. It's done this for over 30 years!

Thx-Ace 

4430 jd had the brass or tin float off of sender floating in tank . There is a piece of steel welded over the outlet tube extension in tank. But over the years one side cracked at spot weld. It broke off thus leaving float to be able to wear itself open and cover outlet tube. It took me about 4 hours to fish all pieces out of tank. We dealt with it plugging for about a month until I decid3d to fix it. Always when you went up hill or over a side hill. We bought 4430 well used so who new the history of it.

5 hours ago, netto55 said:

No fuel gelling?

Temps have been pretty mild here in Wisco - doubt even summer fuel would gel recently.

8 hours ago, acem said:

...something in the tank...over 30 years!

3 hours ago, dale560 said:

...fish all pieces out of tank...

Buddy of mine snapped off the flex nozzle from my fuel can into the tank on my 1206 about 20 years ago.  Fortunately it hasn't caused any trouble (yet)🙏

• Like 1

We had the outlet plug on the one 1066 the other year while running grain drill. Took a drill bit to remove what we think was a gasket from a fuel jug plugged in the 90° corner of the shut off valve . With the line off and valve open it wouldn't let any fuel out with a full tank. I couldn't believe it could plug that much

33 minutes ago, bitty said:

We had the outlet plug on the one 1066 the other year while running grain drill. Took a drill bit to remove what we think was a gasket from a fuel jug plugged in the 90° corner of the shut off valve . With the line off and valve open it wouldn't let any fuel out with a full tank. I couldn't believe it could plug that much

Dad let his stupid friends borrow our 915 combine. They lost fuel cap it took us about a month to get it clean the wheat chaff plugged every thing. We finally pulled tank out a bit, washed it many times with pressure washer and hose then vacuumed it out. The plugged tanked story that will top them all is our 976 versatile. They had a big filler neck. I left cover off over night and disked 30 acres until I found it. It would stall on us I would blow in tank it would run for a while. Finally I took a sewer pipe boot ,piece of hydraulic hose some window screen and a 1/2 tee. Rigged up another down pipe to suck fuel. Over the year we ran it that way we got most of the blackbird body parts out of the tank. Run it then we would pull screen out every so often and clean it. Once about half the black bird body parts came out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4-H tractor driving contest at our county fair 1962 or '63 we had choice of 460D or 3010D i wanted 460 it would start run  a short time and die. so i had to use JD (finished second). 460 was from the dealer we used so i asked if they found out what was wrong with it. some nice fair goer thought it would be good to drop a cap from a soda canister, 2 inch round dome shaped thing made of cardboard, into fuel tank it would get sucked over fuel outlet and cut off fuel.

pete

• 3 weeks later...