Nylon 66

dads706

1 minute ago, from H to 80 said:

A friend of mine had one he used to take rabbit hunting i always thought they looked cheap,guess i was wrong. A little off topic but i read where Remington settled a school shooting[can't recall which one ,i know that is truly sad] for 73 million. I just had to shake my head in disbelief,next thing will be suing the weatherman for an unpredicted lightning strike.

I thought they seemed kind-of cheap too. Guess they were really ahead of their time.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, from H to 80 said:

A friend of mine had one he used to take rabbit hunting i always thought they looked cheap,guess i was wrong. A little off topic but i read where Remington settled a school shooting[can't recall which one ,i know that is truly sad] for 73 million. I just had to shake my head in disbelief,next thing will be suing the weatherman for an unpredicted lightning strike.

Unfortunately MSM seems to be immune and unaccountable for any of their actions 🥺

1 hour ago, Steve C. said:

Here's a link to more 66 ads than you can shake a stick at.  One ad that I remember but couldn't find here had a famous sharpshooter with a giant pile of hand-thrown wooden blocks that he'd drilled with a 66.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=remington+nylon+66+ad&t=hp&iax=images&ia=images

Pin on firearms

I remember the sharp shooter thing.  There was coverage of it in one of the magazines dad got,  they threw 10,000 blocks of wood into the air and he hit all but a small few.  From what I remember they threw them fairly rapidly and hammered away. Had a picture of him on a pile of the blocks 

37 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Unfortunately MSM seems to be immune and unaccountable for any of their actions 🥺

So true, and they make the most of their "unaccountability".

38 minutes ago, hardtail said:

,next thing will be suing the weatherman for an unpredicted lightning strike.

Can't, said weather guesser would immediately hide behind his/her/its First Amendment right of Freedom of the press, which allows her/him/it to weatherguess, with immunity.

Second, since they treat weather guessing as a game, with their waving of their hands like a magician, and their dancing around like a "dog s****ing peach seeds", or their stupid little costumes that they wear, shows that, with few exceptions, they aren't smart enough to come in out of the rain, much less capable of "predicting' the weather (but now, they are predicting what it will be like 1200 years from now, weather guessing at its finest, and at a level the cidiots understand.

Most of the Nylon's were sold in brown.

You had to get fancy to get the black one with the chrome cover over the action.

I personally carried a 550 Remington for years.

That would digest any round and was dead on accurate.

Remington's are great rifles.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, from H to 80 said:

From what I've been able to find out, Remington literally isn't the same company as it used to be, and they didn't settle, their insurance company did.  The other lawyer argued that the AR is a military weapon and Remington was greedy to produce it.  So this precedent will make it very hard for other manufacturers to get insurance.  Back door control.

Can't say I ever approved of the styling,  but they seemed dependable.   Guess I've always been a 10/22 guy for autos....

• Like 3

Can someone explain the nylon receiver? How exactly does that work? Can the metal components be totally removed for cleaning and oiling? 

2 hours ago, Steve C. said:

From what I've been able to find out, Remington literally isn't the same company as it used to be, and they didn't settle, their insurance company did.  The other lawyer argued that the AR is a military weapon and Remington was greedy to produce it.  So this precedent will make it very hard for other manufacturers to get insurance.  Back door control.

Something about the way Remington had advertised it to “young male juveniles…” is the excuse used… And yea- insurance company settled as Remington went bankrupt. 
Control the purse strings, circumvent the 2a.

4 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

Most of the Nylon's were sold in brown.

You had to get fancy to get the black one with the chrome cover over the action.

I personally carried a 550 Remington for years.

That would digest any round and was dead on accurate.

Remington's are great rifles.

MOHAWK BROWN   APACHEE BLACK. THERE WAS SOME TYPE GREEN ALSO. MY DAD HAD A 550. COULD POUND NAILS WITH THAT ONE TOO...

5 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Can someone explain the nylon receiver? How exactly does that work? Can the metal components be totally removed for cleaning and oiling? 

The nylon stock is actually the receiver as well, with the sheet metal top cover retaining the pins that hold everything together. A friend brought one to me years ago completely disassembled in a box. He had had tried and failed to do a detailed cleaning. It took me awhile to get it together, they're definitely not a typical semi .22 design. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Best I remember, the action consists of stamped steel parts that are kind of inset in the nylon, with is one piece, butt to forestock.  It can be totally disassembled, or pretty close anyway.  Not that it needs cleaning...when I inherited mine, I'm certain it had never been cleaned (until I did it).  In 40+ years.  And it had been shot, a lot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They also made an  SBR in both brown and black . I have seen both. My cousins have an original original 66 thats had a ruff life, pretty well abused and neglected and still works perfectly.  

• Like 1

Dad had a Nylon 77, from what I understand it is the same as the the 66, but with a removable 5 or 10 round magazine.  Like others have said, it took a lot of abuse and still kept/keeps firing.

It lived for years behind the seat of his pickup, which my have led to it's undoing...it has some cracks in the (fore)stock.  Remington, at one time, offered free "Lifetime replacement" for these stocks, unfortunately the supply of these ran out years ago. 

I would like to like to restore it beyond the glue Dad used, but those parts are hard to come by.  

9 hours ago, lorenzo said:

They also made an  SBR in both brown and black . I have seen both. My cousins have an original original 66 thats had a ruff life, pretty well abused and neglected and still works perfectly.  

what is SBR

21 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Short barreled rifle .  

Looked like this but this isnt the exact right picture.   I have seen three .

60D46A7A-7B3D-43F5-B991-08F43B59365B.jpeg.d4802df99bacfa926f90f07697c17850.jpeg

I know where one of these is in the .221 Fireball round.

Unsure what other rounds these were chambered in?

41 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

I know where one of these is in the .221 Fireball round.

Unsure what other rounds these were chambered in?

I bet those werent in 22 like i thought. 

.221 only.   Its been 15 years since i held one . 

You could get the Thompson Contender in a bunch of chambers . I shot a friends with a 30-30 barrel on it, ...a very ornery handful!     I  think the guy with the big pile of blocks shot with the Nylon 66 was pictured on the pile in some older Guinness Book of Records.

Anybody have experience with the nylon 66 clone? I think it made by CBC. I only seen one. Never shot one. My pa has a black/chrome nylon 66 which I probably put a couple hundred rounds through in my younger years. Nice light and accurate rig. 

Apache for sale on local trading post right now for $1000, apparently something thinks their value has gone up