Farmall H PTO Shims

When taking apart this Farmall H there were two shims behind the pto but I don't remember if it had a paper gasket. I looked at the parts book and don't see a shim as part of the diagram. My Case dealer sold me a paper gasket when I bought all the seals and gaskets. 

Should I re-install the two shims or just the paper gasket? Is there a measurement that needs to be taken to adjust the shim pack?

Thanks

I would install the shims and a new gasket and don't worry about it.

The shims would have set the end play on the driveshaft inside the transmission.

If it ever wanted to jump out of gear, then remove the shims.

With the normal wear, they are probably OK without them after all this time.

There is very few critical tolerances on an H.

If you have the common splined countershaft and the last design PTO, no shims needed unless something is wrong. Spacing housing back will decrease the shaft sleeve length onto splines. Front bearing on countershaft places it in position. Rear bearing in PTO housing positions it. Just in case something is off slide PTO in without gasket or shims first. If nothing bottoms out before PTO housing contacts trans housing, just use gasket.  Notice in picture it looks like you are using keyed bull pinion shaft. So maybe you could have a early PTO. If it's the second design PTO with flat back it used a shim or shims. It should have a splined countershaft. Unless you want it original suggest installing the later PTO.  

17 minutes ago, DWV said:

If you have the common splined countershaft and the last design PTO, no shims needed unless something is wrong. Spacing housing back will decrease the shaft sleeve length onto splines. Front bearing on countershaft places it in position. Rear bearing in PTO housing positions it. Just in case something is off slide PTO in without gasket or shims first. If nothing bottoms out before PTO housing contacts trans housing, just use gasket.  Notice in picture it looks like you are using keyed bull pinion shaft. So maybe you could have a early PTO. If it's the second design PTO with flat back it used a shim or shims. It should have a splined countershaft. Unless you want it original suggest installing the later PTO.  

Pretty sure there are three different pto's. I concur with your shimming method. 

4 hours ago, snoshoe said:

Pretty sure there are three different pto's. I concur with your shimming method. 

Yes I mentioned the last and middle type.  Looked at a parts book to check memory and shows shims as needed for first and second type. Serial 501 to 45613 first type with notched counter shaft. Second type started at 45614 and also the splined countershaft. Last design started at 118000. Think shims were in case shifted tubes bottom out before shift linkage made it to the poppet ball.

8 hours ago, DWV said:

This is the PTO it has:

(230) - ATTACHMENTS, POWER TAKE-OFF, SPECIAL, SERIAL NO. 118000 AND UP Parts scheme

1 hour ago, LipRipper3006 said:

This is the PTO it has:

(230) - ATTACHMENTS, POWER TAKE-OFF, SPECIAL, SERIAL NO. 118000 AND UP Parts scheme

No shims used with that one. Have less spline engagement when PTO is on with any shims added.

this is the early style although its on my 39 M. I think there is another style that looks similar to this one as well but one has the slot and the other a spline. I expect mine is a slot if its original on my M. 

DSCI1055.JPG