DT436–tell me what I’ve got here

Dax DeCelle

I was given this power plant out of what I believe was a 1460 or 1480 combine, but I know absolutely nothing about combines, so tell me what I’ve got. As you can see, it’s complete from radiator to transmission. Obviously someone welded some skids under it, but I don’t know it’s history. It was remanufactured by SRC at some point, and I’ve read on here how y’all feel about them. I believe it’s a good running engine, but I’ll find out before too long. Why are the fuel filters different from the tractor set up? Accessibility? Or did it also have canisters at some point? I can see that it started life as a 436, but after reading other posts, I understand it might be another displacement now. I don’t know yet what I’ll do with it, but was glad to save it from the scrapyard, which is where it was headed. A559B72C-13B7-43A7-AF3F-2F4BBBAC7440.thumb.jpeg.85c97c020d580bb7ed3e29e78b1914eb.jpeg4A3AFF71-D3A8-49C9-B782-2B042D8AEAD4.thumb.jpeg.b747f87c87907a643319618d54e266a2.jpeg2059F1B0-2D3C-4F93-AA19-6AF3970B628B.thumb.jpeg.76b296cab380876251da113073156834.jpeg99E9E319-DB6D-49A4-9715-538E103652B0.thumb.jpeg.4b39e9668e30d25a14fd9744cac42b53.jpeg01C7C754-3343-4D3B-9D90-A1DE4160A731.thumb.jpeg.25e44f80d4060e15a43b405e83851a90.jpeg

1 minute ago, Dax DeCelle said:

Why are the fuel filters different from the tractor set up?

You'll have to ask the guy who put them on there. I have a combine engine too and I'm pretty sure it has normal canister style filters in the usual location. These were cobbed on, probably by whoever converted it into a stationary power unit.

They may have relocated the fuel filters to the RH side while it was still in the combine.  Much easier to access than climbing in behind it, down in the "hole". Maybe the glass style fit the new location better?

The fuel filters are Roosa Master and on a bracket that looks like it was made to go there. 
The bell housing has an IH part number. 
Hydraulic pump is mounted on an IH part numbered adapter. 
The block has a SRC tag on it. 
The turbo has a reman tag on it too. 
Hydro trans has “CenLa hydrostatic transmissions” tag on it. Probably from a “central Louisiana” company. 
I figure someone pulled it out of a combine to make a power unit and that’s as far as it got. 

2 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

Doesn’t matter where it crane  from anyway.  Change the oil, check the turbo for chipmunks, and fire it up? 

I agree. And I will. Just curious. 

Yep, what he said. That is off a 915 combine and some John Deere fuel filters put on for some unknown reason. Wanted left side space for some reason maybe, who knows. It is for sure off a 915, even though they had 414's new. Been at least one or more 915 on our farm since '79 so I may have had a look or two.

Well it’s locked up. Can’t hurt to pull the injectors and fill up the cylinders with transmission fluid and kerosene and let it soak, eh? Is that the least invasive method on these engines? 

17 hours ago, Big Steve said:

The engine is out of a 915 combine  can tell by the hydro  and pulley set up and radiator and oil cooler.  The fuel filters are not an IH set up 

definatly 815-915 more than likely 915 as the came with the turbocharged dt414

1 hour ago, Dax DeCelle said:

Well it’s locked up. Can’t hurt to pull the injectors and fill up the cylinders with transmission fluid and kerosene and let it soak, eh? Is that the least invasive method on these engines? 

With all due respect....make sure its not the gearbox on the back of the engine that's not locked up, instead of the engine itself. Almost looks like that hydro pump has been so hot the paint is burned off(probably from a machine fire?). That whole gearbox looks like its been hot. Maybe the picture just makes it look like that? Hard to tell for sure.

No offense taken. After bumping the starter, I removed the starter and checked it. Good. I removed the hydro trans and hydraulic pump drives, and inspection covers. Engaged the clutch and attempted to rotate the crank with the nut that holds the pulleys on with a 4’ cheater. No movement. Pryed against the teeth of the flywheel with a long pry bar.  No movement. Put a wrench and cheater on one of the 3 bolts on the front of the crank pulley. No movement. There is no water in the oil. The guy that gave it to me said he turned on it not terribly long ago. 
And the hydro box is fine. Just faded. 
I believe I’ll pull the nozzles and fill ‘er up. Got nothing to loose. 

• Like 3

There was a thread in the construction forum relatively recently about a seized engine. Someone else posted about one of @King of Obsolete’s “tools” for getting engines loose again. It was called a bar starter. The guy on there tried it and said it worked good and he got it unstuck with minimal effort. You might check that out and see if it would work. Like you said, there is nothing to lose. 

Those 915 engine skids were used to power alot of things. There were alot of 915s in rice country but by the mid 80s all the red farmers wanted an axial flow and the 15s lost all value. Dad bought a nice 915 with header in 90 for @1200. It should be a dt414. It has an over center clutch.

I have a parts and service book for the 915 if you need info.

Thx-Ace 

Thank you for the information and the offer. Yes, after more research on this invaluable forum, I see that it should be a DT414. It was remanufactured at SRC at some point and they butcher the id stamp. I thought I was seeing 436, but in fact it’s 438, and I’ve read all about those numbers here on the forum. I had about five years away from the forum when life had me running in other directions. It’s so nice to come back and find the same core group of people still helping each other out. Heck, I was so scattered over the last few years, I didn’t even tear the plastic off several issues of Red Power magazine.  Never let my subscription lapse though. Thanks again. It’s good to be back.