To buy or not to buy a new truck......

I have a 2011 f150 FX4 with 70,000 miles on it and 5.0 engine. The Bluebook value is right around $20,000 and it's been paid off for five years now. I really like the truck and the only reason I am even considering getting rid of it, is because despite washing it more than the average person  I'm starting to get rust on the cab corners. The rust spots are only about the size of a quarter right now but I know that once it starts it'll really take off especially if it's your daily driver. I'm wondering with peoples experiences if a guy trades it in and pay the appalling price of a new one or get a "beater" for a daily driver and try to preserve what I have? Thanks in advance 

A good body shop could weld in new corners and match the paint. If it is in good shape and you like and it's paid for, the expense of the body shop can be easily justified.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, dads706 said:

A good body shop could weld in new corners and match the paint. If it is in good shape and you like and it's paid for, the expense of the body shop can be easily justified.

Its kinda funny but the body shop guy that I got a quote from a couple weeks ago actually told me I should look into getting a 2015 or newer f150 since the body won't rust because it's aluminum. I hadn't really thought about getting one before that because I knew how high trucks are. 

Your asking the wrong guy.  I.usually run them until they just aren't worth fixing anymore.  By that I mean a single repair exceeds the value of the vehicle.

I wouldn't buy a new one right now.  There are no deals to be had.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Those cab corners are the first area to go on that style truck. Most I see are gone already. If yours are just the size of a quarter I would look into something like Krown rust proofing or put the used motor oil to it and preserve what is still there. New trucks are nice though!

• Thanks 1

I sold my 2011 F-150 to my son and bought a 2018 certified pre owned F-150 similary equipped. The 2011 was more comfortable and drove better. I do like the 10 sp trans vs the 6 speed. Gas mileage is about the same. Both were 5.0s 2011 had 3.55 gears, 2018 has 3.73 gears. Luckly I did this in Nov of 2020 before everything went crazy. Performance wise the 2018 is a lot peppier than the 2011. BTW mine was rusting in the passenger cab corners also.

• Confused 1

You're truck isn't broke in yet by today's standards.  I would get a estimate for the body work, and that may help you decide which direction you want to go. I'd pass buying new right now. Yes, you can have the bodywork done and keep the truck out of the salt afterwards buying a beater with a heater, but those aren't cheap anymore either. When I bought my new 2001 Dodge 2500, I drove beater's in the winter. Bought a '76 F-100 2-wd, I-300, auto, for $400. Drove it for around 5 years, then bought a '77 LTD 351M for $500 had it around 4 years. Trouble nowadays there's no reliable beater's with heaters for that kind of money.

• Thanks 1

Once the rust starts, it's a matter of time, whether it's daily driven or not. Get rid of it now if you can wait a bit and find a nice southern truck, or wait for people to not be able to afford these crazy high payments they have in a few years. I suspect the market will fall apart eventually and deals will be there again.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eason said:

I sold my 2011 F-150 to my son and bought a 2018 certified pre owned F-150 similary equipped. The 2011 was more comfortable and drove better. I do like the 10 sp trans vs the 6 speed. Gas mileage is about the same. Both were 5.0s 2011 had 3.55 gears, 2018 has 3.73 gears. Luckly I did this in Nov of 2020 before everything went crazy. Performance wise the 2018 is a lot peppier than the 2011. BTW mine was rusting in the passenger cab corners also.

My 2011 has 3.73 gears. I wonder why the 2011s ride an drive nicer than new ones? I noticed right away when I test  drove it that it rode a lot better than my 2004. It was like driving a car compared to a 1 ton

2 hours ago, 856 Custom said:

You're truck isn't broke in yet by today's standards.  I would get a estimate for the body work, and that may help you decide which direction you want to go. I'd pass buying new right now. Yes, you can have the bodywork done and keep the truck out of the salt afterwards buying a beater with a heater, but those aren't cheap anymore either. When I bought my new 2001 Dodge 2500, I drove beater's in the winter. Bought a '76 F-100 2-wd, I-300, auto, for $400. Drove it for around 5 years, then bought a '77 LTD 351M for $500 had it around 4 years. Trouble nowadays there's no reliable beater's with heaters for that kind of money.

I got an estimate a couple weeks ago. $2,000. I figured if I'm gonna do that, I might as well let it rust through and then do it. It wasn't that long ago you could buy a beater for $500. Now it's $2,000 or more

The part that bothers me more, is it has the body colored bumpers and when I was washing it a couple weeks ago, I was spraying out the inside of the bumpers and rust chips were falling out. I'm sure any of you guys that live in the rust belt have seen the bumpers about rust right off the f150s with body colored bumpers

I have a 2013 F150 and the cab corners are rusting also.  I talked to the local body shop who I have a lot of trust in.  He said if replacing the cab corners I should do the rocker panels too because they will be and are rusty too.  At the time, 1 or 2 years ago, it was going to cost $2,500/side, so $5,000 to do it.  Considering your truck has only 70,000 miles I would almost be tempted to spend 5K on it.  It should last you a long long time.  I guess it just depends how much you want something new.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, IH Forever said:

I have a 2013 F150 and the cab corners are rusting also.  I talked to the local body shop who I have a lot of trust in.  He said if replacing the cab corners I should do the rocker panels too because they will be and are rusty too.  At the time, 1 or 2 years ago, it was going to cost $2,500/side, so $5,000 to do it.  Considering your truck has only 70,000 miles I would almost be tempted to spend 5K on it.  It should last you a long long time.  I guess it just depends how much you want something new.

I guess one plus to keeping it is having more money to buy vintage tractors! 😎

Your learning the hard way about vehicle ownership in MN. If you want a nice truck you better get used to making sky high payments forever, or not driving them in winter.

My 96 Crewcab was a NE truck, it's got 327K miles and it's starting to rust. It's only seen 1 MN winter in the now 10 years I've owned it.

Fix your paid for truck, find a beater for cheap for winter. Put the $500 a month new truck payment in YOUR pocket, not the dealers. By not making payments, you'll have your cheap beater paid for in 1 winter.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nomorejohndeere said:

buy replacement panels and have them galvanized before install

The key is find someone who uses panel bonding compound instead of doing a lot of welding.  Welding kills whatever primer or galvanizing that is used

• Thanks 3

13 hours ago, Farmer in training said:

I have a 2011 f150 FX4 with 70,000 miles on it and 5.0 engine. The Bluebook value is right around $20,000 and it's been paid off for five years now. I really like the truck and the only reason I am even considering getting rid of it, is because despite washing it more than the average person  I'm starting to get rust on the cab corners. The rust spots are only about the size of a quarter right now but I know that once it starts it'll really take off especially if it's your daily driver. I'm wondering with peoples experiences if a guy trades it in and pay the appalling price of a new one or get a "beater" for a daily driver and try to preserve what I have? Thanks in advance 

If you fix your truck and document the repairs so you can prove things were done the RIGHT way, you are not throwing money in a hole here.  I am a fan of WELL maintained used vehicles that the owners have done timely repair and maint on.   The key is,  document your work.   

Now, if a new truck is best for your mental health and makes you more confident in other areas of your life and you can afford it without locking in 5 years of balogna sandwiches twice a day, then go for it.  Life is too short to base EVERY decision we make on what makes the most sense.

Myself personally,  Id make repairs AND be scouting for used low mile southern trucks because i enjoy the search and the process of finding a gem as much as driving it.  And, I like to keep my vehicles in the best condition i can.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Farmer in training said:

the body shop guy that I got a quote from a couple weeks ago actually told me I should look into getting a 2015 or newer f150 since the body won't rust because it's aluminum.

There is a reason they don't use salt/brine on airport runways.....

Aluminum airplanes...

Mike