My son finally talked me into it

cedar farm

My now 18 year old youngest son bought a cute little rust free 1990 Dodge D150 shortbox 2WD from western Kansas a couple years ago. It had a blown 318. He kept trying to talk me into a 440 swap. I had a good 360 that I said was good enough. I was 18 once. He and a friend pulled the 318 a couple weeks ago.

Well we picked up a great running 440/727 combo about 65 miles away by Hinton, Ia. The guy parts out Chryslers. 102,000 miles on it. It was still in a 1977 4dr hardtop. Ordered the installation kit, headers, lean burn free distributor and small dia brake booster. Going to put in new bearings and gaskets. I am going to hope for the best on him keeping his foot out of it. I have the tires pumped up on his bicycle just in case.

DSCF2894.JPG

DSCF2893.JPG

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Good luck with your project. 

I put (shoe horned) a 440 from a 72 New Yorker in a 73 Dart in 1998.  My worst issue was having to remove the passenger side front wheel to get to the spark plugs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Being "A Mopar Guy"    I Love seeing original Paint on Chrysler Built Vehicles,😂  What a Terrible paint Program!

Nice looking Truck, I wouldn't Worry about the Speed of the Truck Just Yet.

The rear end in a original 318 powered truck won't take much acceleration grief, This Little truck probably weigh's 3600 pounds, I would be hunting for a 8 3/4 with 4.10 gears, a lot of those units available at Swap Meet's,  You Might find a Chrysler 518 Transmission to help with Fuel economy. A little amount of work and a 518 will perform and be reliable behind a 440.

A Truly "Fun Family" Project,  Good Job!!

Jim Droscha

• Like 2

I wanted a 440 powered bright orange road runner that one of the  local car lots had once. We went and looked at it. Dad found out that the owner and his son drag raced it. That was the end of that.

Tall gears behind a big block is the way to go

Use the torque to cruise along at highway speed at low rpms.

Nowadays an overdrive helps to have the best of both worlds.

My days of wanting a driver with low gears is long gone

• Like 2

I've got a project 78 dodge D200 club cab with factory 440 if anyone is interested. Not that much of a project really. I bought it back when gas was cheap in the 90s. i bought a  cummins truck and changed my mind!

Thx-Ace 

wut color

air? tint? spoke wheels? camper topper? side boards? neon yellow bug shield? whip cb antennae? back off mud flaps? 

42 minutes ago, acem said:

I've got a project 78 dodge D200 club cab with factory 440 if anyone is interested. Not that much of a project really. I bought it back when gas was cheap in the 90s. i bought a  cummins truck and changed my mind!

Thx-Ace 

• Haha 1

It is gold and white. The front clip was replaced and primed before I bought it, now they are rusty. Split bench seat. 440, auto, 3/4 ton, 2wd, 16.5 tires. Flex plate cracked. Factory AC. Factory tool box under bed on right side. I lost the title in a move...

It would make a nice truck but i have a first gen cummins in the same setup. Of course the cummins worth alot more.

Come look at it. Im 3 hours from Joplin.

Thx-Ace 

When I was 19 I put a 460 into a 1984 F150 step side. It had the 15 gallon tank…. Could only go about 120 miles on a fill up but usually only got 100 or less. Man it would just burn the rear tires right off it without trying. Had to put air bags in the front springs to take the weight. Yours should be a great project and good luck with keeping his foot out of it. 

A guy who did a few LS swaps was trying to talk my son into doing that. It somehow seemed wrong. I just couldn't picture someone asking "what you got in there kid" And his reply-"Chevy LS" 

In my local town of Alvord the old IHC building which closed in the 1950's was owned by a local car collector named Dan Boone. There was always a bunch of cars under covers. It was in the fall of 1986 and I was senior in high school. I saw the garage door was opened so I walked in and he started pulling car covers off. 1957 Bel Air convertible which I had seen before. White 1967 Charger and then the one that got away. A 1970 red Road Runner with 26,000 miles. 440 six pack and pistol grip four speed. He opened the hood and all i saw was air cleaner. He bought it from the Plymouth dealer in Rock Rapids with about 5000 miles on it. Then he said to "Mike I would like to sell you this car" I asked how much. He replied $5000.00. Keeping in mind the farm crisis I asked my dad if I could borrow some money. His exact words were "no 17 year old needs a car like that" My pleading and salesmanship about the future value fell on deaf ears. I never asked Dan who he sold it to. 

That piece of the past haunted me enough to let my son have his fun while he is young. I still get to drive a 440.

• Like 2

A buddy of mine had a 440/727 in a truck just like that in high school. It was even a similar color. It had a set of Hoosier radials on it and would roast the tires until he got sick of it. I’m a Ford guy but have always loved the sound of a 440. Good luck with the project. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cedar farm said:

In my local town of Alvord the old IHC building which closed in the 1950's was owned by a local car collector named Dan Boone. There was always a bunch of cars under covers. It was in the fall of 1986 and I was senior in high school. I saw the garage door was opened so I walked in and he started pulling car covers off. 1957 Bel Air convertible which I had seen before. White 1967 Charger and then the one that got away. A 1970 red Road Runner with 26,000 miles. 440 six pack and pistol grip four speed. He opened the hood and all i saw was air cleaner. He bought it from the Plymouth dealer in Rock Rapids with about 5000 miles on it. Then he said to "Mike I would like to sell you this car" I asked how much. He replied $5000.00. Keeping in mind the farm crisis I asked my dad if I could borrow some money. His exact words were "no 17 year old needs a car like that" My pleading and salesmanship about the future value fell on deaf ears. I never asked Dan who he sold it to. 

That piece of the past haunted me enough to let my son have his fun while he is young. I still get to drive a 440.

that story is similar to my brother's car and my indirect involvement. He bought a '68 or '69 Road Runner with a 440 six pack and 4 speed in 1973 or 4. Never been in snow etc etc. He put F60s on the front and G60s on back, and drove it for several months but got tired of having to retune it every other week, then he saw a used Fury III he liked at the Plymouth dealer. He offered the Road Runner to me , but I was saving for a farm. So I passed. Duh! He made the deal on the Fury and tried to buy the RR back the next day. But it was already sold, to a kid that wrapped it around a tree about 2 weeks later.

• Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

Not gonna happen…but yea, good luck with that😂

For sure.  My two oldest boys are 20 and 19, I thought they were pretty responsible until one night we were talking about the ‘99 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP I owned at the time. Somebody said something about going fast, I said I had been told the GTP topped out at 126mph but I never had it over 110, they looked at each other, looked around to make sure Mom wasn’t within earshot, and said “Well you were told wrong, it goes 130!”

It hit a deer last fall at 60, not worth it to me to repair it, need to bring it to the salvage yard one of these days unless someone wants it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cedar farm said:

I asked my dad if I could borrow some money.

The year was 1968.....the car was a split window Corvette....the engine a warmed 327 fuelie..... the price was $2000. I asked, but I didn't even get an answer. Just a look that said don't ask a stupid question twice. 

When you are young and broke, it's easy to have stories about "the one that got away". Oh well...it's called life.

39 minutes ago, dads706 said:

The year was 1968.....the car was a split window Corvette....the engine a warmed 327 fuelie..... the price was $2000. I asked, but I didn't even get an answer. Just a look that said don't ask a stupid question twice. 

When you are young and broke, it's easy to have stories about "the one that got away". Oh well...it's called life.

Economics 101! 
IF you had the money it would be gone along with the car… but ooh what memories you could’ve had😉

7 hours ago, cedar farm said:

My now 18 year old youngest son bought a cute little rust free 1990 Dodge D150 shortbox 2WD from western Kansas a couple years ago. It had a blown 318. He kept trying to talk me into a 440 swap. I had a good 360 that I said was good enough. I was 18 once. He and a friend pulled the 318 a couple weeks ago.

Well we picked up a great running 440/727 combo about 65 miles away by Hinton, Ia. The guy parts out Chryslers. 102,000 miles on it. It was still in a 1977 4dr hardtop. Ordered the installation kit, headers, lean burn free distributor and small dia brake booster. Going to put in new bearings and gaskets. I am going to hope for the best on him keeping his foot out of it. I have the tires pumped up on his bicycle just in case.

DSCF2894.JPG

DSCF2893.JPG

That’s screaming for a step side box and stacks…, just saying 

Really cool project, I've been around a couple big block Chrysler engines, haven't modified one yet, currently summer driving a 72 Newport with a 400, my Dad has been around a few when they were current and his stories are mostly positive, one of his suggestions when installing a used one is replacing the oil pump, it is an easy job and good practice, my Gramps had a 74 D200 with a 440, Dad had an 80 W200 with a 318, then a 96 Ram 3500 with a Cummins, and now a 06 Ram 3500 with a 5.7 Hemi, Dad says the 74 was the speediest one of them all, my Newport is stock except for dual exhaust and a 2.94 gear vs the stock 2.71, It will hang right with my buddy's 2005 Chev 2500HD with a 6L, if you are wanting to change your diff for a diff lower with a lower ratio you need to find a 9.25 diff, an 8 3/4 from an earlier version of that truck style will have 4.5 bolt pattern axles and your truck will have 5.5 bolt pattern

10 hours ago, NY1468 said:

When I was 19 I put a 460 into a 1984 F150 step side. It had the 15 gallon tank…. Could only go about 120 miles on a fill up but usually only got 100 or less. Man it would just burn the rear tires right off it without trying. Had to put air bags in the front springs to take the weight. Yours should be a great project and good luck with keeping his foot out of it. 

Had an 80 shortbox with a 16 gallon tank and the 396 would get 8 mpg, couldn't even go to Edmonton and back without refueling 

Have a 67 C10 that came with a 350, I've always said ignore small block pursue big block and the outcome will be so much better, gas prices approaching $7 gallon have that poor mileage a consideration, could go LS route but not a huge electronics fan, have being eyeing up Dmax 🤔

• Haha 1