Cat 215 Excavtor

Dirt_Floor_Poor

41 minutes ago, Binderoid said:

I saw a post about a month ago  in General Chat about a guy who welded up all this crazy stuff... a new walking beam for a manure wagon or something... maybe he could build one for you. 

I don't use it enough to invest in that much new steel and time on it at this point. I do have an old wheel loader bucket I want to add mounts for scooping heifer manure out of the pit to put in a "V" tanker 

3 hours ago, Art From Coleman said:

This might be the one case where "ran when parked" was simply being shut down at the end of the day, and NOT as a result of some catasprophic failure.

I think that may very well be the case. He was 72 years old, but had no plans to retire or sell out. My other neighbor was supposed to help him run some cows through the chute that morning. When they got over there they found him dead of an apparent heart attack.

In the picture there is a five gallon bucket over the exhaust. He had another son that helped him around the farm, but never farmed for a living. I suspect that he knew the equipment would sit for awhile and may have made at least some arrangements to store it somewhat properly until his mother was ready to let everything go.  He is the one trying to get what he can started and lining equipment up. I can’t imagine it will bring anything if they don’t have it running at the sale and the track pads are buried in two inches + of dirt. 

• Like 1

Was at a sale years ago where the guy had a big lineup of old equipment hence the attraction for me and he had over a couple grand in new batteries for the old wrecks and had a mechanic out there for a couple days pre sale when batteries were much cheaper than today's prices 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Was at a sale years ago where the guy had a big lineup of old equipment hence the attraction for me and he had over a couple grand in new batteries for the old wrecks and had a mechanic out there for a couple days pre sale when batteries were much cheaper than today's prices 

If you’re the seller, a new set of batteries is often the cheapest thing you can do to help something sell better. I don’t know how many consignment auctions I would show up early and some tractor that hasn’t run in a while from an estate would be idling. They would shut it down and when the auctioneer gets there to sell it, it won’t start. It would often cost the seller a few thousand dollars because of it. 

• Like 2

On 2/16/2022 at 8:56 PM, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

It would be a little over five miles away. Based on what the auctioneer said, it sounds like it’s going to be in my price range. I am going to go to the  auction regardless. It looks like on auction time in the last year they have gone between $5,000 to $20,000. I suspect that this one would be on the lower end just because it has been sitting for years. He died five years ago last month. 

oh man thats sad to hear dad/son how horrible for the wife/mother  - i hope you can get it for a descent deal and some of the local KC wannabees dont run it up out up out of contention - i would think maybe some seal issues or leaks from sitting - doubtful its locked up unless it didnt have antifreeze in it and cracked things 

• Like 1

My neighbor bought some old Warner Swasey excavator to build his golf course 40 yrs ago and it was old then, big blue thing, he would just put empty 45 gallon barrels under it and try and catch the oil leaking underneath and pour it back in when it was doing stationary work...lol

Then he had an old gas start TD20 201 series dozer and a Garwood cable scraper, those looked a bit better than the hoe not much but a bit

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hardtail said:

My neighbor bought some old Warner Swasey excavator to build his golf course 40 yrs ago and it was old then, big blue thing, he would just put empty 45 gallon barrels under it and try and catch the oil leaking underneath and pour it back in when it was doing stationary work...lol

Then he had an old gas start TD20 201 series dozer and a Garwood cable scraper, those looked a bit better than the hoe not much but a bit

...that sort of bloke would fit right in'down under' !!!

..now days it seems every man and his dog has an excavator 

Mike

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hardtail said:

If it did the job then it was "just right"

As in - a country publican had an "off keg" but instead of dumping it he offered it to one of his customers who was on hard times.  Because he'd put most of his farm over the bar.

So customer and friends collected the keg, retired to a favourite fishing spot  and returning the keg a couple of days later

Publican  "How was it?"

Customer  "Just right"

Publican "What do you mean"?

Customer "If it had been any better you wouldn't have given it to us and if it had been any worse we wouldn't have been able to drink it"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I had a 215 in 1982 traded it for a Komatsu in 1986 the CAT was a good machine in the day but it would not compete with the Jap machines thats why CAT got in bed with Mitsubishi If you can get it for a fair price I would be worried about parts, that is 40 years old

• Like 1

I drove by the sale site today. I saw the excavator was moved from it’s resting place. The ground is frozen again here, but it was nice a few days ago. They must have walked it out of it’s grave and up by the barn while the ground was thawed out. So I imagine the price just went up quite a bit. 

• Sad 1

On 2/18/2022 at 9:24 AM, m.c.farmerboy said:

I had a 215 in 1982 traded it for a Komatsu in 1986 the CAT was a good machine in the day but it would not compete with the Jap machines thats why CAT got in bed with Mitsubishi If you can get it for a fair price I would be worried about parts, that is 40 years old

When you say ‘not able to complete’, you’re talking marketing politics/world trade/ UAW/steel prices.... I’m saying that you can set a 215 and a dash 6 PC150 side by side and there is  nothing the 150 will do that the 215 can’t.... with the 215 being 17 years older. 

3 hours ago, Binderoid said:

When you say ‘not able to complete’, you’re talking marketing politics/world trade/ UAW/steel prices.... I’m saying that you can set a 215 and a dash 6 PC150 side by side and there is  nothing the 150 will do that the 215 can’t.... with the 215 being 17 years older. 

I'm comparing a 215 Cat to a 1986 Komatsu PC200 LC, the 200 is 6000lbs heaver that being said The Jap machines were a much better machine, better hydraulics better undercarriage better boom design and more fuel efficient, over-all better Machines, Cat and Deere got their lunch fed to them in the 1980's, that is why CAT got in Bed with Mitsubishi and Deere jumped in with Hitachi. I'm not saying one won't do the same work as the other I'm saying one was a more advanced machine 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

I'm comparing a 215 Cat to a 1986 Komatsu PC200 LC, the 200 is 6000lbs heaver that being said The Jap machines were a much better machine, better hydraulics better undercarriage better boom design and more fuel efficient, over-all better Machines, Cat and Deere got their lunch fed to them in the 1980's, that is why CAT got in Bed with Mitsubishi and Deere jumped in with Hitachi. I'm not saying one won't do the same work as the other I'm saying one was a more advanced machine 

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that Deere excavators have almost always been made by Hitachi.  I know that my 690 “No Alphabet!” (Predecessor to the 690A) was made by Hitachi.

I also believe that the 590D was a rebadged Liebherr, but I am not certain of that.  I do not know who made the little Deere excavatorssuch as the 25 and the 50, but I am guessing that Yanmar had something to do with them.

590D was the same as a Hitachi EX 150. The last truly built John Deere was a 690E in the mid 1990's. All 690's were John Deere designed. The 590D had a John Deere engine and the Hitachi had an Isuzu engine.

DWF

the last 690 Deeres had Hitachi cabs only, the rest of the machine was Deere. after that they were all Hitachi except the engine Deere wanted their engine. when Cat went with Mitsubishi they wanted their Cat engine in it, On the 200-class machine it was a bad move on Cats part. They used the 4-cylinder version of the 3208 and they didn't last more than 4-5 thousand hours whereas the guy's that had Mitsubishi before seeing their engines go 10-15 thousand hours that hurt cat sales for a while, I have toured the Mitsu. plant in Japan and the Takeuchi plant also in the 1980's, the one thing that impressed me the most was they told us that all manufactures in Japan sheared their technology, that is why they were so far ahead of the USA on excavators in Japan the excavator is there primary earth moving machine because it is a small country same with Europe these small countries were the first to have mini excavators and wheel loaders. My wifes family is in the earth moving business her father started in the 1950's her oldest two brothers took over in the late 1970's and now do about 275 million a year in sales her youngest two bothers do about 120 million a year I have built attachments for the industry for about 40 years and sold the company 3 years ago to farm full time I don't claim to be an expert on these matters but have had my hands in it for some time as we worked closely with Cat, Deere, and Komatsu dealers along with many others for a good part of my life

• Like 3

16 hours ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that Deere excavators have almost always been made by Hitachi.  I know that my 690 “No Alphabet!” (Predecessor to the 690A) was made by Hitachi.

I also believe that the 590D was a rebadged Liebherr, but I am not certain of that.  I do not know who made the little Deere excavatorssuch as the 25 and the 50, but I am guessing that Yanmar had something to do with them.

Jeff, I don't recall Liebherr working with Deere, as I recall the 590 was a Hitachi, Deere didn't have a Hoe smaller than the 690 till they got in with Hitachi. CAT did use a German company called Fransater (not sure on the spelling) to build their 28,000 and 34,000 pound machines but being of European design were not well received in the US what the Jap's did was to introduce a line from 20,000LB to 100,000LB machines which created a whole new market and gave smaller guys a chance to get away from loader backhoes and into a small excavator they also had a better price The 690 in 1983 was about $107,000 Cat 215 around $110,000 or you could buy a new Mitsubishi  EL 180 for $82,000 all three in the same weight class

In my world Komatsu was the game changer, it took cap many years to catch up and when they did their operating costs were still higher.

It's probably worth much more than 3500 in scrap value ..... 

3 hours ago, Finney said:

In my world Komatsu was the game changer, it took cap many years to catch up and when they did their operating costs were still higher.

in the late 70's we saw a lot of big used Komatsu dozers come up here that was used in coal country, Komatsu here is now in line with CAT price wise but has taken a lot of market share away from CAT. In their day Cat was no.1 in the world and still has good resale value but that is changing

• 2 weeks later...