86 series poor reputation?

1086-7130

On 2/24/2022 at 2:02 AM, jass1660 said:

The Magnum could’ve looked like this….

47EBB0AE-1A23-4481-B075-C103A37AF006.jpeg

The more I look at that the more I want to find another FWA 7130 that needs cosmetic help and paint it like that.   Be about the only way to get a good CASE tractor and then at least the buzzard on the steering wheel would make sense.  :)

Plus if nothing else the neighbors would wonder "where he got that" lol 

4 hours ago, Binderoid said:

“They say...” “I’ve heard.... “ An old man told me....” this is how fables are continually perpetuated, without accepting any responsibility for them.

...it doesn't really matter any more. Even when members post an educated answer backed up with first hand experience, they often get vilified. More often than not, the original poster doesn't really want the answers that are given in the first place.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's all personal preference any way

Maybe the title should have been opinions on the 86 series good and bad? As far as bad reputation I don't think other than some not liking the layout they really had a bad reputation? 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

4 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

It's all personal preference any way

Maybe the title should have been opinions on the 86 series good and bad? As far as bad reputation I don't think other than some not liking the layout they really had a bad reputation? 🤷‍♂️

We put in excess of 20,000 hours on a 1586 we bought with a reman engine in need of 2nd+3rd gear in 96 . If they were a junk tractor that one certainly treated us very good. It would run along with the AC 8050 MFD we put a 210hp 8.3 Cummins in

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, bitty said:

We put in excess of 20,000 hours on a 1586 we bought with a reman engine in need of 2nd+3rd gear in 96 . If they were a junk tractor that one certainly treated us very good. It would run along with the AC 8050 MFD we put a 210hp 8.3 Cummins in

I mean a 1586 is the best there is.... it gets up each morning and leaks excellence!   

Said in my best Ricky Bobby voice lol

I love me a 1586 guys I can't help it 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bitty said:

Bitty, I love this post and I'm an AC guy!

44 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

Bitty, I love this post and I'm an AC guy!

2 hours ago, bitty said:

We bought it new in the spring of 87. Unfortunately we traded in the 72 1066 we bought new on the pumpkin. I'm the middle of the kids on the seat of the 1066 (and I am the same age as the 1066) . The pictures of the AC are from when the second owner sold out. I would have bought it if it was reasonable for old times sake but passed at the price it brought

IMG_20201219_140332230.jpg

Screenshot_20201219-085741.png

IMG_20211229_194420554.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bitty said:

We bought it new in the spring of 87. Unfortunately we traded in the 72 1066 we bought new on the pumpkin. I'm the middle of the kids on the seat of the 1066 (and I am the same age as the 1066) . The pictures of the AC are from when the second owner sold out. I would have bought it if it was reasonable for old times sake but passed at the price it brought

Again I am not bashing IH. Dad bought a brand new 1586 in 1977 think it was a 76 model it was sold in 84 with 1800 or 2000 hours. The motor had a new set of sleeves installed in 82, they pitted let the water in. TA was replaced in 1979 and the cab mounts, entire transmission case was replaced in 1980 the axle bearings failed and ruined case. IH did warranty most of the ta and transmission if I remember. 

27 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Again I am not bashing IH. Dad bought a brand new 1586 in 1977 think it was a 76 model it was sold in 84 with 1800 or 2000 hours. The motor had a new set of sleeves installed in 82, they pitted let the water in. TA was replaced in 1979 and the cab mounts, entire transmission case was replaced in 1980 the axle bearings failed and ruined case. IH did warranty most of the ta and transmission if I remember. 

Our 1586 was factory TA delete. Water filter and never a sleeve issue when we had it

On 2/26/2022 at 9:37 AM, Reichow7120 said:

The 66 series was the same way, so it wasn't unique to the 86 series. 

That's what I've been told too. Guys would pull it on the 56 series. Bang it on whatever hard surface they could find, damage the filter in the process and then dust the engine. The thought process was that what I've been told if you made it just hard enough that it wouldn't be easy to do in the field you would do it near the shop and actually blow it out with air. That's what I've been told anyway 

It was to protect the customer from themselves.   As mentioned,  the filter would get bent or a hole ripped in the pleats from compressed air.   Then, dirty air gets into the engine.  A plugged filter reduces power and fuel efficiency,  but the engine still runs: protected by the secondary filter.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Farmall Doctor said:

...it doesn't really matter any more. Even when members post an educated answer backed up with first hand experience, they often get vilified. More often than not, the original poster doesn't really want the answers that are given in the first place.

It’s funny you mention that, because I’ve got this 1270…

• Haha 4

On 2/23/2022 at 10:16 PM, FarmerFixEmUp said:

I remember a few guys that bought new Magnums wanted the "buzzard" decal removed from the steering wheel cap. We found IH decals to replace them. 

When I was at the dealership,  the 7200 and 8900 series Magnums were the new models.  We also had IH stickers to cover old abe on the steering wheel center.  We also had IH emblems to replace the Case IH on the front grille.   International decals for the back window and large IH decals for the 2100 and 2300 combines were also popular for diehard IH customers purchasing new or nearly new machines.  Just part of dealer prep.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

It was to protect the customer from themselves.   As mentioned,  the filter would get bent or a hole ripped in the pleats from compressed air.   Then, dirty air gets into the engine.  A plugged filter reduces power and fuel efficiency,  but the engine still runs: protected by the secondary filter.  

would the secondary filter not protect from a bent or ripped filter?

1 hour ago, Binderoid said:

So the purpose of the inconvenient air filter placement is to keep operators from bashing the filters and wrecking the canisters. That explains why all the other tractors with easy access air filters blew up.

I overhauled an 856 gas 15 years ago that still had the original 1969 air filter in it... you could see right through it! They demanded their old air filter back when they picked it up stating "there's nothing wrong with it, we blow it out every day"

• Confused 1

Local chicken farmer had (2) air filters for his Hydro 544. Wash one and put it on shelf, grab the clean one off shelf and installed in tractor. Done this several years until the inner mesh of filter rusted to the point it pulled it out of filter right into a cylinder. Kinda created a wreck on that cylinder. 

Now he just keeps a spare on the shelf and blows them out as needed. 

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, bitty said:

What your folks made you shave your beard off?!?!!? 🤣

6 hours ago, Farmall Doctor said:

I overhauled an 856 gas 15 years ago that still had the original 1969 air filter in it... you could see right through it! They demanded their old air filter back when they picked it up stating "there's nothing wrong with it, we blow it out every day"

My father had a saying for that...   "poor people have poor ways".    As a kid I thought he meant literally poor as in lack of funds, but as I've gotten older I now know it has a broader meaning! :)

• Like 1

had a guy one time have me walk out to his Kubota to see if I could match up a fuel filter. 20-25 hp tractor I would guess. He had a fuel leak on his fuel filter. The filter had actually rusted thru and had a pin hole in it.

We hauled in a 1660 with a blown Cummins one time. No oil in the engine. It took the mechanic two pry bars to get the air filter out. It was so plugged it had pulled the oil out of the crankcase. 

if owners would read their manual, 1/2 the partsman would be unemployed. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, cedar farm said:

had a guy one time have me walk out to his Kubota to see if I could match up a fuel filter. 20-25 hp tractor I would guess. He had a fuel leak on his fuel filter. The filter had actually rusted thru and had a pin hole in it.

We hauled in a 1660 with a blown Cummins one time. No oil in the engine. It took the mechanic two pry bars to get the air filter out. It was so plugged it had pulled the oil out of the crankcase. 

if owners would read their manual, 1/2 the partsman would be unemployed. 

I borrowed uncle George's 1066 hydro 18 years ago and the fuel filters were over ten years old and the tractor had 18xx actual hours. Drove it to the farm and when I parked it the fuel filter started leaking from the bottom. Rusted through from a little moisture in it . My wife's dad passed away in 96 and when I borrowed it in 2003ish it had sat in a shed the whole time since 

33 minutes ago, bitty said:

I borrowed uncle George's 1066 hydro 18 years ago and the fuel filters were over ten years old and the tractor had 18xx actual hours. Drove it to the farm and when I parked it the fuel filter started leaking from the bottom. Rusted through from a little moisture in it . My wife's dad passed away in 96 and when I borrowed it in 2003ish it had sat in a shed the whole time since 

Did you buy it?

24 minutes ago, Jacka said:

Did you buy it?

No. It's still at the inlaws. I'd love to get at and restore it someday. It had the original matched rear BFG tires back then. One sidewall failed since then and it had to be replaced