Good 'ol days

DT Fan

So a buddy recently got us booked into Canada this June 25-July 2. We will be fishing out of his boat. I haven't been since 2018, having serious withdrawals! Not sure why I thought about this but such is life. Made these rod holders back around 2006-2007 at a previous employer that is now out of business. Think I made five pairs and Bob is going to get a pair now. They have just been languishing in the basement here for 15 years now. Doesn't seem possible.

Most of the work was done on a Fadal 1020 with Gibb's cam, how I miss that thing! Looking back it's hard to believe I got that much government work done in between legitimate company work! Reason for making them was fear of loosing a rod and reel and lure to a plastic holder breaking. There was a commercial model available that gave me a rough pattern. Didn't like the cost and thought, "I'll just make my own!"

It really was the Good 'ol days, we knew it, just didn't realize how good!

Always wanted to get a small CNC mill like that Fadal, haven't given up hope yet. Just need to get a climate controlled shop built, maybe some three phase power. 

IMG_1290.JPG

• Like 4

I just left my old job of 25 years at a place that had an amazing machine shop.  I could pretty much get anything made for me that I dreamt up.  Gotta love G Work.  LOL

• Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 1:43 PM, DT Fan said:

It really was the Good 'ol days, we knew it, just didn't realize how good!

They really were, I recently bought a batch of our company magazines from the mid-70's to mid-80s, and I am surprised at the number of names of people that I either worked with, or just recognize the name.

The clerk, at that time, is once again working to set up another meeting up of those who worked out our yard at Mission from that time frame, as she did two, or three years ago, and it was, and hopefully will be to meet up again.

The company was a totally different operation back then, with, as far as I know, almost all the management, even to the very top, either starting at the bottom and working their way up, or had spent at least some time in the field.

A whole different company, in a whole different time, AND, WE DID OUR JOB, maybe not with a "song in our heart", but there were times when we had fun accomplishing it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gillfisher said:

Very nice rod holders. Won’t wear out!  Good fishing on lake of the woods. Very large waterbody. 

Gill, I made my first trip to the Lake of the Woods in '97. Immediately fell in love with it. Had fished on Eagle in '95 and '96, hit a reef and totaled the boat. Decided a lake with good maps was a better choice. One trip to the 'Woods' was all I needed to convince me it truly was a special place. Maps were just one small part of that. I could ramble on about this for a long time.

3 hours ago, Gillfisher said:

There is a government website called fish on-line Ontario.ca.  You zoom in where you are fishing and it tells you a lot about the lake and what’s in it and regulations.  We have a new. bait law this year

I'll check that out, do like to take some crawlers to help catch shore-lunch!

Yup. Sholes can cause damage. I’m in the Canadian Shield . Deep glacial cut lakes with rocks just under surface in spots. 300’ to 2’ in yards. I have a black evinrude etech with a white lower unit. Ha. Might paint it to match, but I’m worried that that will jinx it again.

• Haha 1

One of the things I really miss about working in a toolroom is the access to machines to make all the goofy stuff I could dream up. Need a special vise to hold spinnerbait heads, no problem. Or maybe a mini rod bender to work with the wire forms?

IMG_1308.JPG

IMG_1309.JPG

IMG_1313.JPG

• Like 3

One of the first things I made after starting apprenticeship was a barrel vice and action wrench for 700 Remington's. Made several different bushings to fit different barrel contours. The vice would work for most any rifle but the action wrench is pretty 700 specific.

IMG_1321.JPG

IMG_1322.JPG

Starting this thread got me thinking about making lures, I don't need anymore but maybe my fishing partner does. He said black and orange work pretty good for him so that's what he'll get. I was going to tie all marabou but had no orange so had to use bucktail. It is a lot more labor intensive but I'm not on incentive so here we go. Some shots of the process.

IMG_1314.JPG

IMG_1315.JPG

IMG_1316.JPG

IMG_1317.JPG

IMG_1318.JPG

IMG_1319.JPG

IMG_1320.JPG

• Like 1

We Had a Fella lived Near our Farm that Created several Styles of Lures. I Think,,.. I'm Actually Guessing,... It was called "Hurst's Hackles"

This Farm had Barn's full of "Hundreds of Pheasant's",  Dozens of local People worked in the old milkhouse. Making & Packaging Lures

All this Manufacturer used was the Feathers in the "Neck Area",..... I'm not an active fisherman,    but why only a small part of the Colorful Bird.

I was surprised that a Company would spend that much money to raise birds and not send them to slaughter.

I Remember During a Deer Hunting Season, Local Hunters found Mounds of Dead Pheasant Carcasses back in several of the neighbors woods.

One Day the Place was abandoned,   Never knew what happened to that Manufacturing Enterprize.

Local Bank Sold the Farm to a Family that wanted to own Horses,  I Sell them small square Bales of Hay.

Big Barn Still smells Like Chicken Poop on a Hot summer Day in the Hay Mow.

Jim Droscha

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DroschaFamilyDairy said:

We Had a Fella lived Near our Farm that Created several Styles of Lures. I Think,,.. I'm Actually Guessing,... It was called "Hurst's Hackles"

This Farm had Barn's full of "Hundreds of Pheasant's",  Dozens of local People worked in the old milkhouse. Making & Packaging Lures

All this Manufacturer used was the Feathers in the "Neck Area",..... I'm not an active fisherman,    but why only a small part of the Colorful Bird.

I was surprised that a Company would spend that much money to raise birds and not send them to slaughter.

I Remember During a Deer Hunting Season, Local Hunters found Mounds of Dead Pheasant Carcasses back in several of the neighbors woods.

One Day the Place was abandoned,   Never knew what happened to that Manufacturing Enterprize.

Local Bank Sold the Farm to a Family that wanted to own Horses,  I Sell them small square Bales of Hay.

Big Barn Still smells Like Chicken Poop on a Hot summer Day in the Hay Mow.

Jim Droscha

Jim, I have some pheasant capes in my inventory, don't use too much of them. I did tie a few large flies years ago that use more feathers than the muskie lures I usually tie.

Finished a second bait for Bob. This one is all bucktail, the orange kind of overpowers the black some how. This is a medium size bait about 2&1/2 ounces. Do need to get some head cement, (super glue) to finish the wraps. One fish with teeth will ruin one of these if the wraps aren't glued well.

IMG_1323.JPG

• Like 1