Jump to content

Cost of things...


Twolines
 Share

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I could leave it all behind if everyone else would, but unfortunately unless i am going to become Amish i kind of need to embrace some of it. 
its not just the phones though, I assume you have internet? Cable/Satellite ? Maybe an internet music subscription? I pay for cloud storage, got a Keurig, so gotta have a coffee subscription (that one is actually a savings) maybe you have an onstar subscription? Gotta have Netflix or something, Amazon? 
its a deep and twisted rabbit hole. 

That is true. For me fortunately (I guess) it’s limited to phone and internet at home. Then the utility bills.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In 2015 I was paying under $30 for a 4X8 sheet of 20ga hot rolled steel.   Now it is $109!!!!..    My 1/4" hot rolled 4X8 is about $350.     Spendy stuff.  I hope the USA steel manufacturers are ramping up production to meet the demand. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some things aren’t available at any price. My preferred bearing supplier can’t get Timken tapered bearings for a rear tractor axle or for a truck trailer axle. They give me NTN/Bower instead which I’m fine with. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm starting a Murphy bed/cabinet/storage combination project. I went to three places today and not a single sheet of 3/4" Birch plywood at any of them. The first one which is my go to lumber yard usually has 50-100 sheets on hand. Today = zero, and don't know when they will get any. I looked at substituting Oak instead of Birch but at $80 a sheet I think I'm going to wait a bit. I don't know why though, Birch was going to cost me $65.

I usually try to keep a dozen sheets or so on hand. I have none. Should have bought more when the price came down and there was an available supply.  I'm a slow learner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I could leave it all behind if everyone else would, but unfortunately unless i am going to become Amish i kind of need to embrace some of it. 
its not just the phones though, I assume you have internet? Cable/Satellite ? Maybe an internet music subscription? I pay for cloud storage, got a Keurig, so gotta have a coffee subscription (that one is actually a savings) maybe you have an onstar subscription? Gotta have Netflix or something, Amazon? 
its a deep and twisted rabbit hole. 

dont have /need any of that BS.

but the wall /911 phone,which dont work 40% of the time is $250 Mo

as govt cut the copper its in with 500 c (495 useless)tv, small throttled int

water is going the same way, $60+, always over limit of 4x (we are 2)  own the line $100K, "THEY" dont pay .01 for tapping on the cidiotes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As far as lumber im fairly set with a saw mill. As long as i can cut/get logs anyway. I dont use a lot of sheeting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dave Downs said:

Gasoline just went up 13 cents a gallon overnight - at $3.78 now, methinks $4.00 is in my near future…….

We jumped 10 cents last week and 8 or 9 this week.  I forget the year maybe 2007ish it was over 4 at the truck stop near our old place.  We are certainly getting close.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was at a Pesticide credit class the other day. The one speaker told the landscapers to be aware of a coming grass seed shortage. Big seed farms in Oregon and Washington were under a drought last year and yields were down so supply is down. Places have it now, but there won't be any this fall. He told the guys to get their orders for the year filled now. Most likely with a big price increase also.

No one has mentioned the price of real estate. In this area of SE PA houses are selling like crazy, most are getting multiple bids above asking price with most places selling within a week. Entry level homes are now around $200K, I feel sorry for young kids starting out trying to find a place. It will eventually level out, but I don't see the prices going back to 2019 levels.

I was listening to a show on the radio yesterday, they were talking about the inflation and why we feel it so bad. Even if you get a wage increase, your pay goes up in the beginning of the year and you get used to that rate so it is normalized, but you buy gas or groceries every week and you notice the difference each week.

I have been saying for years that we are paying for so much more than our parents did, back then it was electric and phone and maybe water and sewage for most homes, maybe a newspaper. In the 80's came the cable TV, then cell phones, then satellite radio, now steaming service, internet service and who know what else. Even look at the difference in cars and trucks in the past fifty years. 1970's I bet there were more manual transmissions sold than automatics, hardly any with AC and power this and that(seats, windows, locks, etc). Now you can't find a manual transmission, almost every car has AC and most have full power. I am guilty of it too, not putting anyone down, I do enjoy my heated seats and steering wheel! Try finding them in a 1970 K10!

Not sure where we are headed, but I think that the country needs to step back and re-evaluate some things.

Of course this is all coming from a guy wrapping up his 59th trip around the sun, so I guess I have earned the title of Grumpy Old Man!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, CC_Ranger said:

I was at a Pesticide credit class the other day. The one speaker told the landscapers to be aware of a coming grass seed shortage. Big seed farms in Oregon and Washington were under a drought last year and yields were down so supply is down. Places have it now, but there won't be any this fall. He told the guys to get their orders for the year filled now. Most likely with a big price increase also.

No one has mentioned the price of real estate. In this area of SE PA houses are selling like crazy, most are getting multiple bids above asking price with most places selling within a week. Entry level homes are now around $200K, I feel sorry for young kids starting out trying to find a place. It will eventually level out, but I don't see the prices going back to 2019 levels.

I was listening to a show on the radio yesterday, they were talking about the inflation and why we feel it so bad. Even if you get a wage increase, your pay goes up in the beginning of the year and you get used to that rate so it is normalized, but you buy gas or groceries every week and you notice the difference each week.

I have been saying for years that we are paying for so much more than our parents did, back then it was electric and phone and maybe water and sewage for most homes, maybe a newspaper. In the 80's came the cable TV, then cell phones, then satellite radio, now steaming service, internet service and who know what else. Even look at the difference in cars and trucks in the past fifty years. 1970's I bet there were more manual transmissions sold than automatics, hardly any with AC and power this and that(seats, windows, locks, etc). Now you can't find a manual transmission, almost every car has AC and most have full power. I am guilty of it too, not putting anyone down, I do enjoy my heated seats and steering wheel! Try finding them in a 1970 K10!

Not sure where we are headed, but I think that the country needs to step back and re-evaluate some things.

Of course this is all coming from a guy wrapping up his 59th trip around the sun, so I guess I have earned the title of Grumpy Old Man!

The raise in real estate sales is what drove up our assessments. It pushed higher numbers into the equation. 
 

Regarding how everything is bigger and more expensive, you can get a bigger loan. If they allow 7 year loans the manufacturer will make a product to max out the line of credit. 
 

Add to that no one under 50 remembers the 80’s, and I would guess there are very few left to remember the Great Depression, and that was really only ended by WWII.  History repeats itself 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Late 70s/early 80s interest rates would kill the economy overnight. And if banks were to start paying interest rates on savings like that again the stock market would take a beating overnight too. I doubt we see that again because no politician wants to be responsible for that mess. 
We are all about to find out why our parents or grandparents had coffee cans filled with bent nails they saved to straighten and use later. And why my grandma saved every container from packaged food at the grocery store to use later. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MTB98 said:

Late 70s/early 80s interest rates would kill the economy overnight. And if banks were to start paying interest rates on savings like that again the stock market would take a beating overnight too. I doubt we see that again because no politician wants to be responsible for that mess. 
We are all about to find out why our parents or grandparents had coffee cans filled with bent nails they saved to straighten and use later. And why my grandma saved every container from packaged food at the grocery store to use later. 

The interest on the national debt would take the entire budget at 20% interest. You can’t have this many trillions on a credit card. Things that can’t go on forever, won’t. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just saw they released the reported inflation for the last year

7.5%.  Worst since 1982.  Some items, like energy were over 20%. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got a letter from an electric supplier to change from what I have. they offered solar and wind power. really pushed the green energy thing. I think I will stay with my fossil fuel burning supplier. Wish they would of called so I could tell them what I really think.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, jingles1928 said:

Got a letter from an electric supplier to change from what I have. they offered solar and wind power. really pushed the green energy thing. I think I will stay with my fossil fuel burning supplier. Wish they would of called so I could tell them what I really think.

price was 52   went to 78  the green bs starts at 110 unit,no limit once you switch.

takes near act of congress to go lower once signed on.  at 62 we signed for  55 which went to 110 (coal)

took three months and 10x the savings to stop back to 78 , PUC is still ROFL and counting their cut$$

as I said in other p,everything I see and is actually main channel "reported", here and in euro ,once anything to do with coal is not operated for 1 week

By LAW is must be rendered PERMANENTLY !!!  razed never operable again, 

no idea $$$ once our supplier is cidioteville  in '23

and now suddenly WV is building nuclear ,since china only takes the coal 10% as fast as they can produce

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, AKwelder said:

Just saw they released the reported inflation for the last year

7.5%.  Worst since 1982.  Some items, like energy were over 20%. 

I learned today that the way the government calculates inflation was changed circa 1980. If it was calculated the way it used to be the inflation rate would be over 15%, which is more like what it “feels” like. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I learned today that the way the government calculates inflation was changed circa 1980. If it was calculated the way it used to be the inflation rate would be over 15%, which is more like what it “feels” like. 

Figures don't lie.......But liars can figure.     

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey akwelder, i called and "complained" about our assessment and actually got them to knock off 800 bucks! They raised us 15k in value but i see the -800 as a win even so. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Twolines said:

Hey akwelder, i called and "complained" about our assessment and actually got them to knock off 800 bucks! They raised us 15k in value but i see the -800 as a win even so. 

 

That’s great. Glad to hear it. 
 

they didn’t raise the price of my raw land lots, guess it’s homes mainly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here’s a new one for shortages. There are a few buildings going up around here that they are on hold for the shower surround. Since you have to get it in before all the walls are up it’s a heck of a bottle neck

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I learned today that the way the government calculates inflation was changed circa 1980. If it was calculated the way it used to be the inflation rate would be over 15%, which is more like what it “feels” like. 

Yeah, I don't know of many things that "only" went up 7.5% last year.  Most stuff I deal with at work (farm supplies) went up anywhere from 20-50%!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I run a CNC business. We use a lot of 16ga steel sheets for projects... Went from $48 last year February to a whopping $132 this year. I've busted my butt growing the business more then double every year since I started it in 2018... Despite having nearly 4x the business I did in '18 I only make a few thousand a year more due to the insane raising cost of items.

What is really frustrating is how cruddy shipping has gotten. Only about 60% of the things I ship out arrive on time... Had to stomach some poor reviews and refunds just because people don't realize I have nothing to do with how fast the shipping carriers deliver.

Anyways... that's my rant. lol Times are definitely going to get tough before they get better again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Last July received a quote to build a 80x200’ steel building with some cooler space on one end Quote $1.7M for the job, have talked to contractor several times right up to end of 2021 right on track, had meeting 10 days ago to reaffirm cost now $2.2M WTH . Asked him what cost is to put on hold. Need to pay $15k for engineering of building which would need to pay either way. All other ordered products were stopped except we are going to install a new main line with 2 hydrants plus bring in the gravel fill for pad.  After seeing the inflation rate for the year so far I’m glad we stopped it. This craziness has to stop at some point. 2010 built a 80x200 steel building with 6” concrete floor for $375k guys were hungry 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/10/2022 at 4:42 PM, CC_Ranger said:

I was at a Pesticide credit class the other day. The one speaker told the landscapers to be aware of a coming grass seed shortage. Big seed farms in Oregon and Washington were under a drought last year and yields were down so supply is down. Places have it now, but there won't be any this fall. He told the guys to get their orders for the year filled now. Most likely with a big price increase also.

No one has mentioned the price of real estate. In this area of SE PA houses are selling like crazy, most are getting multiple bids above asking price with most places selling within a week. Entry level homes are now around $200K, I feel sorry for young kids starting out trying to find a place. It will eventually level out, but I don't see the prices going back to 2019 levels.

I was listening to a show on the radio yesterday, they were talking about the inflation and why we feel it so bad. Even if you get a wage increase, your pay goes up in the beginning of the year and you get used to that rate so it is normalized, but you buy gas or groceries every week and you notice the difference each week.

I have been saying for years that we are paying for so much more than our parents did, back then it was electric and phone and maybe water and sewage for most homes, maybe a newspaper. In the 80's came the cable TV, then cell phones, then satellite radio, now steaming service, internet service and who know what else. Even look at the difference in cars and trucks in the past fifty years. 1970's I bet there were more manual transmissions sold than automatics, hardly any with AC and power this and that(seats, windows, locks, etc). Now you can't find a manual transmission, almost every car has AC and most have full power. I am guilty of it too, not putting anyone down, I do enjoy my heated seats and steering wheel! Try finding them in a 1970 K10!

Not sure where we are headed, but I think that the country needs to step back and re-evaluate some things.

Of course this is all coming from a guy wrapping up his 59th trip around the sun, so I guess I have earned the title of Grumpy Old Man!

 Price for my seed crop. 2020 fescue grass seed price was .87/lb.  2021 fescue crop went to $1.24/lb

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...