Jump to content

How many 766 gas tractors built?


Pete1468
 Share

Recommended Posts

I was looking for an auger tractor for winter loading out of bins.  Kind of had my eyes open for a 656 gas and haven't seen many around with a fast hitch gas.  Found a 766 gas that has a fast hitch.  How many 766 gasses did they make?   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Couldn't of been many. I had two customers that had them. One was a narrow front. C-291 had to be a gas hog.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Get an auger with electric motor, then no tractor needed!! We bought a Westfield TFX2 10x31 truck load auger, 15 horse motor, and speed up the pulleys for 10” unloads on the bins, that’s the way to go!! No more tractors running!! 107D2B1F-25E4-4000-A218-68195FB238C5.thumb.jpeg.bc2ee3ce961c2e56ab96afae5598a7ee.jpeg

This is not our auger, just a photo I grabbed off the internet, but this is how ours is set up, only with electric motor, not a gas engine.  You can put a gas engine on it too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't know how many were built, but dealer I worked at,(which is no longer) sold at least 5 of them. More gassers than diesel. Most were for small dairy operations. Most guys believed them to start better in the winter,needed a tractor to start every day. Even sold one with front wheel assist, for spreading manure in the winter and wet conditions

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Farmall1066 said:

Get an auger with electric motor, then no tractor needed!! We bought a Westfield TFX2 10x31 truck load auger, 15 horse motor, and speed up the pulleys for 10” unloads on the bins, that’s the way to go!! No more tractors running!! 107D2B1F-25E4-4000-A218-68195FB238C5.thumb.jpeg.bc2ee3ce961c2e56ab96afae5598a7ee.jpeg

This is not our auger, just a photo I grabbed off the internet, but this is how ours is set up, only with electric motor, not a gas engine.  You can put a gas engine on it too. 

Won't work for my truck with tall stacks and I need more length to get away from one bin.  I have my super c on it, when I first start my sweep auger it's to much for it.  I have to turn it on and off for the tractor to catch up.  I've got a U trough auger in the bin, 1,000 by in about 15 minutes.  Best part of that set up is the super c starts no matter how cold it is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1973 I worked for the Local IH Dealership, I was 17 years old at that time.  A Producer wanted to trade his 1964 706 Gas for something Newer with More Power.

I Knew Where this Part Time farmer Lived, The Salesman, "Benny", Instructed Me to Fill the Gas Tank and Drive the Bright Red 766 gas to the Producers Farm Field and Wait for "Him" to arrive and Demonstrate the Fasthitch 766,  The 766 Gas was Whisper Quiet Driving the County backroads, took 60 minutes to travel to the Farmers dooryard that Friday Morning.

Every Family member of that Farmer was standing Next to the "Sad" looking 706 Gas parked in front of the Milkhouse as the Radiator was being filled with the Water for the beginning of the workday.  A Broken JD 2510 & JD 60 were also close by, without Hoods or had a Flat tire, 

I Drove in the Driveway and Parked side by side the "New" 766 Next to the "Abused" 706,  Rear tire to Rear tire and shut the engine off.

The Farmers 3 Teenage Boy's immediately Jumped on the fenders & steps of the Open station "New Toy".

The First Words out of the Farmers Mouth was, "I'll Move the 706 away from this 4 Bottom plow, and you Attach your "New Horse" to it.

Like Clock Work the 766 was Latched into the Fasthitch Points, The 766 Left the Dealership with 6 new suitcase weights on the frontend. 18.4-34's were loaded full with fluid,

  I was Standing behind the 766, Looking at all the Clearence points & correct Pin's in Place, Lift arm linkage were adjusted to the plowing marks, and the Tail wheel Hydraulic cylinder was Raised up & down several times to make everything field ready.

Once this Hitching Task was completed the Farmer Shouted to his oldest son, who was sitting in the seat,  "Randy" take this thing to the Field and Start rolling ground, ....Without Hesitation or watching for Humans Standing in the wrong Places, The 766 Lurched forward & Ventured toward the Partial plowed corn stubbled field next to Cow Pasture, The other 2 Teenage boy's & 2 younger sister's were skipping along on the headland beside the 766.

             My Explanation to the Farmer, My Never Ending Repetitive Statement, that I Said, Many, Many times, "You Folks Need to Wait for the Salesman to Demonstrait this New tractor" was ignored,

I walked Beside the Farmer down to the Headlands of the Field where the 766 was struggling in the heavy Ground to Plow a decent furrow.  The Teenage Kid had gone to the Far end and back.   Was almost back to where I was standing when I signaled for the plowing procedure to stop. 

I Motioned for all future Tractor operators to Gather around the Open station of the 766, with the tractor sitting Idling I pointed out the "Draft Control Lever" that had been placed at the Bottom of the Range, I took time to point out the significate importance of the Lift arm Adjustment.

I Also Explained what a "T/A" was, That was a Challenge, their old 706 had the Handel removed!! The Teenage Boy's Soaked up the information like a sponge, Those young men understood everything I said, They were Field Ready!!

Once the 766 & Plow was adjusted correctly, the 766 scooted along the field in 4th low, Smiles for everyone standing on the headland that Late Morning!!

"Benny" the IH salesman never showed that morning, The Farmers Wife Drove me Back to the dealership, The tired 706 Stayed on their farm.

The 766 was sold to another Neighbor 35 years later at an estate sale & is still in my Area,....766 Never saw the inside of a tool shed.

My 2 Cents, Jim Droscha

 

  

 

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

FWIW, wasn't the first year of production for the 766 all gas-powered? IIRC, if you look at original 66 series sales info, I believe you will only see the C-291 for engine options available. Don't know if the IH 300 series diesels weren't quite ready to go when the 66s were introduced? Might be more 766 gas models out there than a guy realizes, although I'm sure most later 766s were diesels. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

Get an auger with electric motor, then no tractor needed!! We bought a Westfield TFX2 10x31 truck load auger, 15 horse motor, and speed up the pulleys for 10” unloads on the bins, that’s the way to go!! No more tractors running!! 107D2B1F-25E4-4000-A218-68195FB238C5.thumb.jpeg.bc2ee3ce961c2e56ab96afae5598a7ee.jpeg

This is not our auger, just a photo I grabbed off the internet, but this is how ours is set up, only with electric motor, not a gas engine.  You can put a gas engine on it too. 

Some of those are self propelled aren't they? Drive them to the bin! 

https://www.aggrowth.com/en-us/brands/westfield/portable-augers/stx2-truck-auger

Image

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

Some of those are self propelled aren't they? Drive them to the bin! 

You can get them that way, yes!

 

7 hours ago, Pete1468 said:

Won't work for my truck with tall stacks and I need more length to get away from one bin.  I have my super c on it, when I first start my sweep auger it's to much for it.  I have to turn it on and off for the tractor to catch up.  I've got a U trough auger in the bin, 1,000 by in about 15 minutes.  Best part of that set up is the super c starts no matter how cold it is.

You can get longer augers to work with electric motors, I know of 2 10x61 augers with electric motors, one of those handles soybeans without issue 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dug into this once.  It was pretty low number.  1000 rings a bell.  They only built like 300 tractors the first year then the Diesel engine came out and they quit the gas engine tractors somewhere long the line.

 This is my triple 6 on a auger.  Those little gas tractors can be handy for these jobs.

1570628B-073B-466D-8CEE-29CFE505EE4A.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, SDman said:

FWIW, wasn't the first year of production for the 766 all gas-powered? IIRC, if you look at original 66 series sales info, I believe you will only see the C-291 for engine options available. Don't know if the IH 300 series diesels weren't quite ready to go when the 66s were introduced? Might be more 766 gas models out there than a guy realizes, although I'm sure most later 766s were diesels. 

I think you are right. I went back and looked at what it said about the 766 in the Summer/Fall Buyers guide for 1972 and it only has the HP ratings for the gas version. And I have a 1973 film of the 766 and it says “the new all new International 766 diesel powered tractor”.

566EC816-6E5B-45B9-9513-0626EA6CA13B.thumb.jpeg.36ea5d6d7b7e609182a84596d686b648.jpeg 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, DroschaFamilyDairy said:

1973 I worked for the Local IH Dealership, I was 17 years old at that time.  A Producer wanted to trade his 1964 706 Gas for something Newer with More Power.

I Knew Where this Part Time farmer Lived, The Salesman, "Benny", Instructed Me to Fill the Gas Tank and Drive the Bright Red 766 gas to the Producers Farm Field and Wait for "Him" to arrive and Demonstrate the Fasthitch 766,  The 766 Gas was Whisper Quiet Driving the County backroads, took 60 minutes to travel to the Farmers dooryard that Friday Morning.

Every Family member of that Farmer was standing Next to the "Sad" looking 706 Gas parked in front of the Milkhouse as the Radiator was being filled with the Water for the beginning of the workday.  A Broken JD 2510 & JD 60 were also close by, without Hoods or had a Flat tire, 

I Drove in the Driveway and Parked side by side the "New" 766 Next to the "Abused" 706,  Rear tire to Rear tire and shut the engine off.

The Farmers 3 Teenage Boy's immediately Jumped on the fenders & steps of the Open station "New Toy".

The First Words out of the Farmers Mouth was, "I'll Move the 706 away from this 4 Bottom plow, and you Attach your "New Horse" to it.

Like Clock Work the 766 was Latched into the Fasthitch Points, The 766 Left the Dealership with 6 new suitcase weights on the frontend. 18.4-34's were loaded full with fluid,

  I was Standing behind the 766, Looking at all the Clearence points & correct Pin's in Place, Lift arm linkage were adjusted to the plowing marks, and the Tail wheel Hydraulic cylinder was Raised up & down several times to make everything field ready.

Once this Hitching Task was completed the Farmer Shouted to his oldest son, who was sitting in the seat,  "Randy" take this thing to the Field and Start rolling ground, ....Without Hesitation or watching for Humans Standing in the wrong Places, The 766 Lurched forward & Ventured toward the Partial plowed corn stubbled field next to Cow Pasture, The other 2 Teenage boy's & 2 younger sister's were skipping along on the headland beside the 766.

             My Explanation to the Farmer, My Never Ending Repetitive Statement, that I Said, Many, Many times, "You Folks Need to Wait for the Salesman to Demonstrait this New tractor" was ignored,

I walked Beside the Farmer down to the Headlands of the Field where the 766 was struggling in the heavy Ground to Plow a decent furrow.  The Teenage Kid had gone to the Far end and back.   Was almost back to where I was standing when I signaled for the plowing procedure to stop. 

I Motioned for all future Tractor operators to Gather around the Open station of the 766, with the tractor sitting Idling I pointed out the "Draft Control Lever" that had been placed at the Bottom of the Range, I took time to point out the significate importance of the Lift arm Adjustment.

I Also Explained what a "T/A" was, That was a Challenge, their old 706 had the Handel removed!! The Teenage Boy's Soaked up the information like a sponge, Those young men understood everything I said, They were Field Ready!!

Once the 766 & Plow was adjusted correctly, the 766 scooted along the field in 4th low, Smiles for everyone standing on the headland that Late Morning!!

"Benny" the IH salesman never showed that morning, The Farmers Wife Drove me Back to the dealership, The tired 706 Stayed on their farm.

The 766 was sold to another Neighbor 35 years later at an estate sale & is still in my Area,....766 Never saw the inside of a tool shed.

My 2 Cents, Jim Droscha

 

  

 

Jim, I love your stories about working at the IH dealer. Those are days I really wish I could have experienced, but its guys like you that I’m fortunate enough to hear your stories.

And I love the 66 series so hearing stories about them is great!

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Yeah, it's only money. What's a new electric auger the size Pete needs cost, $25000? More? I hear he's taking donations...

766 gas is what, $7000?

I'll only take donations from farmerfixemup.  He moves such large amounts of money so often that's where all the wind comes from at my house.

I think tonight I'm going to look at a 756 gas close to me.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You're fussy Pete, I'll take donations from anyone. Whatever money comes in here goes right back out.

My 756 gas spends a lot of time on the auger too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My dad bought a new 766 gas with a Hiniker 1300 cab in January 1973. He didn't like diesels at the time but the gas that 766 guzzled convinced him to purchase a diesel. He kept the 766 for a little over two years before trading it in on a 1066 diesel. Very wise decision on his part and turned out to be the best tractor we ever owned. He traded the 1066 in on a 1086. Big mistake, that 1086 was the roughest riding tractor we ever owned. Had an old 806 that I preferred running over that 1086.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...