Buying parts

MCC

Crazy these days on everything.  I order a lot of electrical parts for my job.  Now when I order parts, it seems like 2/3 of everything I need is OUT OF STOCK, with crazy lead times.  I had to order a couple of pole transformers and was quoted 72 weeks delivery.   Other things have doubled in price in the past year.   I needed to order bulbs for street lights today and where I could find stock, they were twice the cost of when they were ordered last year.  Ordering parts takes so much longer just trying to find stock or a fair price.  After work today, I went to Farm and Fleet and their store brand brake cleaner was listed for $5.79, up from $2.99 a couple of months ago.  Getting kind of scary if this keeps escalating.

• Like 2

Had a tire blow out in a combine this fall. I needed a 900/60-R38 tire and I didn’t think we were going to be able to find one. Lots of people are telling me it’s going to get worse before it gets better. I’m pretty worried about how parts will be by next fall, lots of stock is used up with not much inventory coming in. 

• Like 2

I don't have a big fancy shop or anything but last year I really started collecting consumables such as oil and filters for everything we own, along with wear parts, twine, plastic etc.  Not to be a hoarder but just to be able to get it off the shelf quickly when I need it and not have to wait. 

• Like 2

We have always tried to stock up on supplies. We are a half hour away from the closest small dealership. Even back when a small ex-IH dealership was in business we wanted to stock most small things rather than drive 5 minutes both ways every time you needed something. I have a few things I need to line up currently and I'm nervous that some might be hard to get

• Like 3

We are now paying the piper for 30 years of sending our mfg overseas.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I have been doing some boiler installs after work. My clients can’t get anyone and if they do it’s hard to find materials. Local store just had a 100% increase for glycol, when they can get it. 

Not good 

• Like 1

I have a C15 cat in a Caterpillar shop being rebuilt (only 49000 miles on  platinum rebuild).Injectors from cat are 55 days out,cylinder kits coming from 3 different places,rod brgs from another,mains from yet another.Told me that I should be thankful thankful that I don't have a new engine as there are no parts in the pipeline and  no idea when there will be. 

Just getting done with a house build, materials were terrible form shortages and about 30% increase over all. Ordered a oven last June and a ETA of March. 

• Like 1

lot of new homes around with no doors or windows and we are having a hard time getting steel and aluminum on a normal month we spend 25-27 grand, and we are spending about half that, and jobs are piling up some costumers went to other shops only to find the same thing, all this is really putting a Hert on this country a pain we will feal for a long time!

• Sad 3

15 hours ago, acem said:

I've had a pair of 9.00-20 tires on backorder for 6 months. I'm getting by but it's getting scary. Luckily I don't drive the truck much...

Is something like this an option to maybe get you by till better times???

https://militarytires.ca/product/sta-9-00-20-on-wheel/

45 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Is something like this an option to maybe get you by till better times???

https://militarytires.ca/product/sta-9-00-20-on-wheel/

I have 4 10-20 military tires brand new if that will help, I found them on Ebay the guy had 8 and I needed 4 for a dump wagon but had to buy 8 to make the shiping work

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

I have 4 10-20 military tires brand new if that will help, I found them on Ebay the guy had 8 and I needed 4 for a dump wagon but had to buy 8 to make the shiping work

When we replaced all ten on one of our 6x6's I took home two of the most decent ones for my manure spreader.

Good tires.

I'm getting by for now on tires. 9.00 20 is as big as I can go on the rear. I've tried 10.00 20 and they rub when loaded. The 9.00 20 military would work but I'd prefer a more conventional tread. I 2as paying $200 each with tube and liners before all this crap.

I'll try some 11r22.5 I already have on the front and see if they rub. I think they will work. If not I'll have to start patching up some old ones.

Good luck y'all.

Thx-Ace 

On 2/7/2022 at 11:47 PM, AKwelder said:

I have been doing some boiler installs after work. My clients can’t get anyone and if they do it’s hard to find materials. Local store just had a 100% increase for glycol, when they can get it. 

Not good 

I just about fell over when I went in for a pail of glycol. It more than doubled since late fall they said. And they didn't have at the time

Ordered (5) tie rod ends, from (4) places. What should have taken me 3 minutes to do took me an hour, not to mention the $100 bucks of freight (total) due to ordering from 4 different places. 

• Sad 1

On 2/8/2022 at 12:47 AM, AKwelder said:

Not good 

Local plumber is booked out until 2023!

On 2/8/2022 at 2:10 PM, m.c.farmerboy said:

lot of new homes around with no doors or windows and we are having a hard time getting steel and aluminum on a normal month we spend 25-27 grand, and we are spending about half that, and jobs are piling up some costumers went to other shops only to find the same thing, all this is really putting a Hert on this country a pain we will feal for a long time!

I ordered some windows yesterday- 52 week wait for aluminum windows 😱

• Sad 1

On 2/8/2022 at 12:50 PM, Jess_656D said:

Just getting done with a house build, materials were terrible form shortages and about 30% increase over all. Ordered a oven last June and a ETA of March. 

Guess it's where your from and what ya need and how soon you want it.

Maytag oven was toast and wife wanted to bake herself a birthday cake. Called local hardware, yep we got the oven/range you want, but we are a week out on delivery, swap out to propane and take away your old one.

Ok I'll be there in a half hour on a Sunday, knew what we were looking for loaded up and home, converted out the NG to LP and cooking by dinner.

Free Maytag, just needs ignitor for the oven.

Hometown proud family owned hardware that got into the appliance business and they're price busters to the big box stores..

853 tax, title and plates!IMG_20220212_124759.thumb.jpg.f0f7a92d492fc67afd0baea27460415c.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/8/2022 at 5:17 PM, acem said:

I'll try some 11r22.5

I’ll be interested in how they work, especially clearance to spring vs the 9.00-20s

I am probably a glutton for punishment but I have applied for a position handling the critical shipments out of a factory. From the information I gleaned during the interview the bulk of the customer orders are as needed and the plant builds as needed. So a whole lot of "just in time". A friend of mine works at a supplier to the factory where I applied. Getting raw materials is a problem and nobody wants an inventory even though most every week the factory needs more of the same part. Supplier has started building a 10 day supply ahead when they can get the raw material. Sad