Independent Dealers

IHHarvester886

6 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

L & W in Woodhull is NH only.  No Case IH there.  Monroe Tractor bought the SC Hansen dealer chain (Stewart (SC) and Henry (MT) were brothers) of which one location was just west of Hornell, NY that sold Case then Case IH.  The facilities were considered outdated and the territory going into Allegany County somewhat poor so a decision was made to relocate to Campbell which is near I-390 and move the Elmira location there as well.  I went by the old location in Hornell a few times many years ago and it looked like no business was going on there.  No vehicles parked there and the lights off.  In any event I wonder 

I did not know that about the Woodhull store. I have never been to that one it’s the farthest one from me or at least most out of the way for convenience. 

4 minutes ago, 1256pickett said:

I did not know that about the Woodhull store. I have never been to that one it’s the farthest one from me or at least most out of the way for convenience. 

Woodhull originally was a Ford and Hesston dealer that eventually took on New Holland during the 1970's I believe.  There was IH in Addison and Hornell in Steuben County plus a very popular IH dealer just across the county line in Dansville, NY.  The Dansville dealer KG Richmond went out during 1984 and it took a very long time for Case IH to recover the lost business from that.  Probably a big reason business was poor over at Hornell.  Without inside knowledge but the speculation has been L & W was forced to expand to fend off the chains such as Monroe Tractor.

42 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

Woodhull originally was a Ford and Hesston dealer that eventually took on New Holland during the 1970's I believe.  There was IH in Addison and Hornell in Steuben County plus a very popular IH dealer just across the county line in Dansville, NY.  The Dansville dealer KG Richmond went out during 1984 and it took a very long time for Case IH to recover the lost business from that.  Probably a big reason business was poor over at Hornell.  Without inside knowledge but the speculation has been L & W was forced to expand to fend off the chains such as Monroe Tractor.

I heard someone say that the previous owner of Woodhull was a good personal friend of Ev Lamb. When he passed away Ev bought it to help out the family?  I think there grove city store was pressured by cih because there was a void and it was to keep jd & Agco at bay in western pa. 

27 minutes ago, 1256pickett said:

I heard someone say that the previous owner of Woodhull was a good personal friend of Ev Lamb. When he passed away Ev bought it to help out the family?  I think there grove city store was pressured by cih because there was a void and it was to keep jd & Agco at bay in western pa. 

I can't speak as to who knows who or who is friends with who.  But Monroe Tractor being an aggressive entity is a known quantity.  What I had heard which fits MT's strategy is that Case IH needed somebody to take over in W PA and MT was mentioned as a dealer that would be willing and have the financial muscle to buy up a location.  If MT went into Grove City that would have L & W surrounded more or less by MT.  Not a place a small dealer wants to be.  You mention LaPorte and it will be a race when that goes up for sale as I would bet MT would be interested in buying if L & W does not jump first.  I'll tell you the following.  A few years following the merger the surviving single location Case IH dealers watched their cost structure shift to the point where their cost on parts was approaching MT's retail price.  How long can you survive like that?

Here in North Dakota they made the last three independent case ih dealers sell a couple years ago. I think the JD dealers are all corporate. RDO has half then our local dealer has 10 or more I think 13 locations. But the are co owned by another store cluster. Gooseneck and Green Iron of southern ND and South Dakota. RDO and his son in law had another chain of stores that are in mn and North Dakota. There is a 3 store jd dealer 60 miles away.  As far as caseih goes Titan and plains equipment are the big two. Our local is a 3 store chain . I think some of the new Holland dealers might be single store but new Holland is few up here.

2 hours ago, dale560 said:

Here in North Dakota they made the last three independent case ih dealers sell a couple years ago. I think the JD dealers are all corporate. RDO has half then our local dealer has 10 or more I think 13 locations. But the are co owned by another store cluster. Gooseneck and Green Iron of southern ND and South Dakota. RDO and his son in law had another chain of stores that are in mn and North Dakota. There is a 3 store jd dealer 60 miles away.  As far as caseih goes Titan and plains equipment are the big two. Our local is a 3 store chain . I think some of the new Holland dealers might be single store but new Holland is few up here.

The last I knew RDO(R. Offut) and his son-in-law Ace Brandt aren't even on speaking terms, are they? I remember the Deere dealer in Huron, SD, was named Brandt Equipment about 20 years ago...the story I heard was that RDO was who bought the store, but Deere wouldn't let him have anymore Deere dealerships, so he put it in his son-in-law's name to get around that. Someway, somehow, there was a falling out between them so they went their separate ways. I think Ace Brandt is affiliated with the Kibble Equipment John Deere stores now. 

Jewel Implement in Jewel Kansas is a red single dealer. I don’t think they are tied in with anyone else. Lots of new equipment sitting there this morning. 

Seems CNH is more flexible with dealers than Deere. I’ve heard numerous stories of Deere pushing for the big guys whenever they should remember it was them small family owned dealers that built the company. They don’t realize that sometimes its not always brand loyalty that sells the product it’s the customer support. Things I’ve heard from the green guys that got pushed out or were forced to sellout was being able to stay price competitive whenever the big guys needed oil or common parts was they could buy them buy the truckload therefore getting a better price or the fact Deere would demand payment whenever the order was placed before delivery/they cut out the floor plan. One guy got told his software system wasn’t up to par and Deere quoted over 6 figures to upgrade it wasn’t long before he sold out. To me this is the kicker it’s about that jumping deer on that green and yellow plastic whenever they took the dealer away the owners were forced to destroy the sign told them to take a hammer to it and we all know the dealer paid for it. 

4 hours ago, SDman said:

The last I knew RDO(R. Offut) and his son-in-law Ace Brandt aren't even on speaking terms, are they? I remember the Deere dealer in Huron, SD, was named Brandt Equipment about 20 years ago...the story I heard was that RDO was who bought the store, but Deere wouldn't let him have anymore Deere dealerships, so he put it in his son-in-law's name to get around that. Someway, somehow, there was a falling out between them so they went their separate ways. I think Ace Brandt is affiliated with the Kibble Equipment John Deere stores now. 

Yes the kibble and the stores up around crookston.  Brandt passed away I think this fall.  Thought they said he had  15 or so dealers .

2 hours ago, dale560 said:

Yes the kibble and the stores up around crookston.  Brandt passed away I think this fall.  Thought they said he had  15 or so dealers .

Oh wow. I didn't realize he passed away. I see his obituary, though.

3 hours ago, IHHarvester886 said:

Seems CNH is more flexible with dealers than Deere. I’ve heard numerous stories of Deere pushing for the big guys whenever they should remember it was them small family owned dealers that built the company. They don’t realize that sometimes its not always brand loyalty that sells the product it’s the customer support. Things I’ve heard from the green guys that got pushed out or were forced to sellout was being able to stay price competitive whenever the big guys needed oil or common parts was they could buy them buy the truckload therefore getting a better price or the fact Deere would demand payment whenever the order was placed before delivery/they cut out the floor plan. One guy got told his software system wasn’t up to par and Deere quoted over 6 figures to upgrade it wasn’t long before he sold out. To me this is the kicker it’s about that jumping deer on that green and yellow plastic whenever they took the dealer away the owners were forced to destroy the sign told them to take a hammer to it and we all know the dealer paid for it. 

Great point.  My loyalty on most anything is to the customer service with the places I do business with as much as the products they sell.

My hometown of Grinnell had a single location private ownership dealership.  Grinnell Implement.   I was a partsman there years ago. The Urfer family had it since the 40's.  Might have been one of the last ones in Iowa.  Heard today that it sold to JJ Nichting.  End of an era. 

17 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

My hometown of Grinnell had a single location private ownership dealership.  Grinnell Implement.   I was a partsman there years ago. The Urfer family had it since the 40's.  Might have been one of the last ones in Iowa.  Heard today that it sold to JJ Nichting.  End of an era. 

That would explain a lot about the inventory situation there. I asked one of the guys at the parts counter about this last summer, he said they wouldn't even tell the employees what was going on.

7 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

That would explain a lot about the inventory situation there. I asked one of the guys at the parts counter about this last summer, he said they wouldn't even tell the employees what was going on.

They probably wanted to keep any negotiations quiet.  You know Titan and the other big outfits would be all over that territory.   

They did not hand out calendars this year.... Makes sense now!

1 minute ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Grinnell Implement is coming out to pick up my 1206 for a rear main seal and a rockshaft seal.  Scott never said a word to Dad on the phone yesterday. 

Will be interesting to see how things change, better/worse.

6 hours ago, DT Fan said:

I asked one of the guys at the parts counter about this last summer, he said they wouldn't even tell the employees what was going on.

Pretty much par for the course it seems like when something like that happens in our business. We were the last to know when my old boss sold to Titan back in 2008. Looking back, we noticed a lot of strange happenings around our dealership in the 3-6 months before the announcement of the sale that should have made us more aware that something was going on behind the scenes. Still, its a big shock when it happens. Hopefully everything works out for the employees.

As someone who has worked for 3 dealerships over the course of 30+ years(2 family-owned and 1 big company), I could give you a lot of insight working for any and all of them. All I will say is....working for a big corporation isn't the worst thing in the world...and working for a family-owned dealership isn't always the best thing in the world.

28 minutes ago, SDman said:

Pretty much par for the course it seems like when something like that happens in our business. We were the last to know when my old boss sold to Titan back in 2008. Looking back, we noticed a lot of strange happenings around our dealership in the 3-6 months before the announcement of the sale that should have made us more aware that something was going on behind the scenes. Still, its a big shock when it happens. Hopefully everything works out for the employees.

As someone who has worked for 3 dealerships over the course of 30+ years(2 family-owned and 1 big company), I could give you a lot of insight working for any and all of them. All I will say is....working for a big corporation isn't the worst thing in the world...and working for a family-owned dealership isn't always the best thing in the world.

I worked for a family dealership briefly and the term mentally erratic barely began to describe the owner.  

14 hours ago, SDman said:

I left there because of the small family atmosphere..... I was not family......

22 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

I left there because of the small family atmosphere..... I was not family......

I've wondered about this in the past as it is way closer than your current employer. CTP seems to be a good fit for you though. If I find myself needing work in the future I might just inquire there myself.

8 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

I've wondered about this in the past as it is way closer than your current employer. CTP seems to be a good fit for you though. If I find myself needing work in the future I might just inquire there myself.

We need another man. 

45 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

We need another man. 

Interesting, I would like to stay where I am for about 4 more years or so, if things stay like they are now. I just loathe the drive is all. Part time at the 'yard' after that would be great.

Archived