5488 axle seal leaking

I have a bad leak on the furrow side axle so I thought I would try to change both seals and bearings while I’m in there,does anyone have any pictures of what this animal look like when you tear into it and any advice appreciated thanks.

I wasn't comfortable changing mine with the bearing pre-load and everything so I pulled the axle housing and brought it to the IH dealer. They treated me fair with labor since I pulled the housing and they didn't have a tractor in their shop. If you don't have any axle play you can just change the seal.

On the 2nd picture, circled in red, it talks about wicking compound.  There is a sleeve on the axle with an O-ring under it.  If that O-ring is leaking, be aware that it is the FIRST thing installed on the axle—from the inside. That means a complete teardown.  If it is the seal leaking and not the O-ring, you apply the wicking compound (it’s like the green creeping LocTite that you use on already tightened bolts) to the sleeve to seal the sleeve to the axle and prevent that O-ring from becoming a problem in the future. 

Edited by ihrondiesel
Spelling
  • Like 1

I’m not really sure what the point is of the whole ritual with the porta power and hydraulically calculating the preload.  In the end the preload is specified by rolling torque.  

• Like 1

Fwiw. A few years back and 1000 hours ago. I put bearings in my 5488. 

Put the axle in the housing and stood it on the end of the axle. It stood well. It  looks precarious but stood well we had the bearing on the outside end of the axle on and seal in. We heated the bearing in oil that goes on the planetary end of axle and had a variety of shims ready to set the preload. We put the shims in that provided the tightest fit for the snapring that we could and still get snapring in groove.

Havent had a bit of trouble and put in on a 600 bushel cart for 5 years now. My bearings had play in them or I wouldnt have changed them at all. I put a magnum type seal in it.

All the pictures in this thread are great but without an explanation of whats going on in them wouldnt do me much good. 

By the way. I think the weight of the axle housing balanced on the axle helps get the preload pretty close. It was a redneck way of doing it but so far its been successful. 

When you drop that hot bearing on there work fast you dont have much time to set that snap ring

3 hours ago, tractorholic said:

By the way. I think the weight of the axle housing balanced on the axle helps get the preload pretty close. It was a redneck way of doing it but so far its been successful. 

I would bet your preload is way low.  That said, you will probably be fine that way for a long time.  I pulled the axles on this tractor to replace the seals as one leaked substantially and one slowly.  There was no play in the bearings yet but the preload was gone completely, plus the inner bearings looked slightly questionable.  There’s too many dollars of parts that would get trashed in the event of a full bearing failure, so it is kind of a no brainer to spend the roughly $800 in parts and replace all the bearings and the seals.  I had to sleeve the axles on this one as the seal wear surface was grooved.