Scrap metal rack from scrap metal.

Missouri Mule

Its ugly and kinda a morphadite looking thing, but functional. I salvaged a couple pallet rack vertical pieces, and some I beams, and a couple pieces of rebar along with a handful of washers.... and voila.  I have a bunch of scrap steel to move home, and would like a place to actually put it somewhat organized. I've got a bunch of channel, angle, and various tubing. You know handy stuff around a farm.  I'm considering welding some square tube uprights and throwing a couple sheets of tin above it just to keep the rain/snow off of it all. The washers are just some cheap insurance because I have 2 boys that scare me everytime I turn around. Rebar sticking out just makes me cringe. 

I beam was salvaged off a job and my Hope's are that it will keep it sitting good, and I can stack channel iron on top of the feet sticking out. This will set outside somewhere mama cant see it from the house. 😎

20220205_144933.jpg

20220205_144921.jpg

• Like 12

The washers were a good idea in my opinion, not only for the safety of your kids but those types of things like to reach out and grab your shirt or jacket sleeve as you walk by.

• Like 2

I have a set of shelves for storing drop pieces for future Bitty Built projects. The biggest problem I have is keeping it organized well enough to find exactly what I need to make something

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was lucky and my buddy called me and asked if I wanted one for free, he worked for the city and when the ground thawed in the spring it started to lean over and was deemed unsafe, probably had been used for decades previously 😲 I just need to add some framework for sheeting and plate off the back, it's inside which is great and handy but I need to put up a lean to off one side of the shop, I have a lot of stuff that should be covered but doesn't need inside storage, pallet racking will come into play also

• Like 1

Perfect, spray it red and call it finished!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, oleman said:

Looking good! You must have a lot of material to work with to require all that storage area.

This wont even begin to hold what I have. I had ideas of building a nice larger A frame one. But this was already somewhat built. Should beat the heck out of throwing it in a pile like it is now. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hardtail said:

I was lucky and my buddy called me and asked if I wanted one for free, he worked for the city and when the ground thawed in the spring it started to lean over and was deemed unsafe, probably had been used for decades previously 😲 I just need to add some framework for sheeting and plate off the back, it's inside which is great and handy but I need to put up a lean to off one side of the shop, I have a lot of stuff that should be covered but doesn't need inside storage, pallet racking will come into play also

Yah you got lucky. I've been scouring marketplace for a while for something, but just never really found anything that wasnt 5 hrs away and for a reasonable price. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fred B said:

looks good    Just for a little extra safety for the kids, I would torch the top corners (round) off those I beams, they could do a number on a kids foot, or a tractor tire.

Good point

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bitty said:

I have a set of shelves for storing drop pieces for future Bitty Built projects. The biggest problem I have is keeping it organized well enough to find exactly what I need to make something

I know the feeling sometimes you spend more looking for what you need than a hole stick would cost, when we had a full crew here, we scraped anything under 5 feet long it just took up too much time and space

I'm an old man and I could pull myself up from the floor with out it moving.😁

On 2/5/2022 at 5:49 PM, bitty said:

I have the same issue with scrap lumber, drywall, and schedule 40 PVC.  Still haven't figured out how to store cardboard, which I use often, without building a brown recluse resort.

On 2/6/2022 at 6:41 PM, Steve C. said:

I have the same issue with scrap lumber, drywall, and schedule 40 PVC.  Still haven't figured out how to store cardboard, which I use often, without building a brown recluse resort.

Wonder what it is about cardboard they like?? That and scrap wood they scour around in. When I bought my place the guy left a whole barn stall full of scrap lumber. Mostly all short boards and plywood. Them suckers was everywhere. I threw some gloves on and got crazy. Never got bit by one. 

Alright I added some pieces. Thinking about it I figured a roof over the whole mess would be good. I scabbed on some square tubing and figure 3 sheets of metal (which I have around) will be just right. Now I'm going to extend the last legs up to match the others, add another perlin if you can call it that and add more pegs. Then it will look like I planned it instead of a heap of scrap.  One more evening after work and it should be done enough.yet again. 

20220207_193304.jpg

Much better. Just had to find the time. I envy anyone who can work on a project for hours. Seems like i get an hour here and half hour there in between "cow tastrophies" as i call them, work, kids, and whatever else. Probably no different than most of you all too. 

20220215_194223.jpg

20220215_194235.jpg

• Like 2