Need a rotator?

jeeper61

25 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Who doesn't and agreed that won't last long at that price

ad says it was listed 18 weeks ago, so it lasted that long, at least....

Local tow company has 2 of those. 

agree on the good price.

top speed is too slow to be safe in todays traffic.

gas motor gets about 3 miles to the gallon.

a few big towing outfits around me got their start with these, as soon as they can get something more modern, they do.

army wrecker then goes to the back lot, and sits. can't sell them, somebody will then be looking for a slice of your business.

Was around them a bit when I was in the USAF, or at least the current model at the time, M936A2.

I’m not sure I would want to climb on and off them anymore, my knees twinge just thinking about it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, supermechanic said:

agree on the good price.

top speed is too slow to be safe in todays traffic.

gas motor gets about 3 miles to the gallon.

a few big towing outfits around me got their start with these, as soon as they can get something more modern, they do.

army wrecker then goes to the back lot, and sits. can't sell them, somebody will then be looking for a slice of your business.

I feel that way about post drivers

Our VFD has three 5t 6x6's.

The oldest being a 1972 AM General M818.

It is a tough old campaigner. 

BUT, it is small in the cab. 

I can only imagine the '55 is even smaller yet. 

I'm thinking it is governed at 59mph. Doubt the '55 will do much better than 45. 

off road is where it shines. It will run away from the one ton grass rigs. 

Jeeper mentioned "on site" and I agree. It would be cool to have around the ranch but I would hate to have to road it anywhere very far. 

There are companies that are supporting these old military trucks with parts so that may or may not be an issue. 

The young guys all want to get rid of "C44" but it was the first truck I had control of the build and holds a place in my heart. We have fought a lot of fire together and I use to keep it out at the ranch. I will make sure it stays around as long as it is capable of going to fires. 

5t6x6_1036.jpg.80c9138e304b03b51db7cc77394fd403.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg.31740c959664bbb47757d25d89f8488a.jpg

IMG_0786.jpg.90d8496cead471754089c6e64c80376e.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Farmall Doctor said:

Why does it have a Continental engine? If it’s an IHtruck, why wasn’t a Red Diamond used? 

IH was one of a few manufacturers that built trucks for the us govt.

All of the manufacturers build to the same plan.

If it was made by Kaiser, it had a 6602.

If it was made by Mack, it had a 6602.

If it was made by Studebaker, it had a 6602.

if it was made by Oshkosh, it had a 6602. 

And so on.

Can you imagine the confusion if you were the manager of the government motor pool, and in your inventory were parts for a dozen different versions of the same vehicle?

How about if you were the mechanic and you needed to 'borrow' a carburetor from a shot-up or otherwise damaged truck to repair another?

How many hoods would you lift to find the same engine?

Government issue is just that, all built to the same plan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

when the gov started to phase out the 900 series I bought 11, 5 tons at gov auction and stretched them to be used for potato bulk trucks farmers up here like them for digging in wet weather, 900's had better brakes but the 800's where a better truck all around 

14 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Our VFD has three 5t 6x6's.

The oldest being a 1972 AM General M818.

It is a tough old campaigner. 

BUT, it is small in the cab. 

I can only imagine the '55 is even smaller yet. 

I'm thinking it is governed at 59mph. Doubt the '55 will do much better than 45. 

off road is where it shines. It will run away from the one ton grass rigs. 

Jeeper mentioned "on site" and I agree. It would be cool to have around the ranch but I would hate to have to road it anywhere very far. 

There are companies that are supporting these old military trucks with parts so that may or may not be an issue. 

The young guys all want to get rid of "C44" but it was the first truck I had control of the build and holds a place in my heart. We have fought a lot of fire together and I use to keep it out at the ranch. I will make sure it stays around as long as it is capable of going to fires. 

5t6x6_1036.jpg.80c9138e304b03b51db7cc77394fd403.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg.31740c959664bbb47757d25d89f8488a.jpg

IMG_0786.jpg.90d8496cead471754089c6e64c80376e.jpg

2 1/2 ton and 5 tons had the same cabs for years, nose and front fenders changed with each series to accommodate changes in engines we had a few duce's with the muilti-fuel engines sometimes we would go down to the flight line and fill them with JP-4 that would make fly!

On 2/5/2022 at 7:56 AM, jeeper61 said:

certainly looks like it could be handy 

M62 of the 587th Eng Co., ca 1959

that is a nice photo, But if he was in my section, I would have busted him for not having his outriggers down 

2 minutes ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

2 1/2 ton and 5 tons had the same cabs for years, nose and front fenders changed with each series to accommodate changes in engines we had a few duce's with the muilti-fuel engines sometimes we would go down to the flight line and fill them with JP-4 that would make fly!

When the FD told me to go get a truck for myself I thought I wanted a duece and a half. 

But after comparing, the 5 ton won out. 

Looking back, I am glad we went that way. 

We now have a M1078A which is technically a 2 1/2t but way better than the old ones. 

This beast will go anywhere and is pretty comfortable to drive.

178917651_1078firstfire.thumb.jpg.a62764495605dd50a01408a9dda110c9.jpg

• Like 1

they also made a version with a fifth wheel plate and no rear winch we had one in my section with a step deck for pickin up pieces of downed aircraft it was ok on good going but most of the time we just hauled the step with a tractor

4 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

When the FD told me to go get a truck for myself I thought I wanted a duece and a half. 

But after comparing, the 5 ton won out. 

Looking back, I am glad we went that way. 

We now have a M1078A which is technically a 2 1/2t but way better than the old ones. 

This beast will go anywhere and is pretty comfortable to drive.

178917651_1078firstfire.thumb.jpg.a62764495605dd50a01408a9dda110c9.jpg

I had a chance to buy a few of them but heard the had a lot of problems a buddy bought 2 and wished he'd bought none 

8 minutes ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

I had a chance to buy a few of them but heard the had a lot of problems a buddy bought 2 and wished he'd bought none 

Ours has been trouble free. 

We get a shot at them before the public does. 

The Forest Service retains ownership, we pay a one time lease pmt. Can have it for as long as we want it. 

We have had our M818 for sixteen years on a $5000 one time lease payment.

The FS is real good with parts support also. 

But........ I am hyjacking this thread so will shut up now.........sorry jeeper!

• Like 1