7.3 HEUI fixed

midnightman

9BD64FD4-AB4F-45DC-91E3-82CE97B43A8E.thumb.jpeg.5e7afe5e1c1f3681d2962c9c4d22c315.jpegPretty sure I found the problem with losing the high pressure oil in the 7.3 in “ole smoky”.  This is a new one for me. Between the brothers and Dad, we’ve had 9 7.3s, plus I’ve looked after a few other ones for guys. Have never had to do injector o rings in one yet. Just when you think you’ve pretty much learned everything you can, there’s something new. DC0FC2E9-4D48-4DFA-B645-94ED48A03897.thumb.jpeg.8b3a92832f3876b141dd19ee15f13f06.jpegThat looks better!

• Like 2

My junk 7.3 has been sitting for a year now----cant get anybody to work on 7.3's around here! I need the truck and right now cant find a gas truck to replace it. 97 F-350, great truck, just dont have decent motor or transmission in it.  Found a couple more 350's,--- same deal they dont run. Mine has 118,000 miles on it and the last 6 years has cost me several thousand dollars because it was always broke down. Its been towed more miles than its been driven. Neighbor says the 7'3 is a 60,000 mile throw away motor and I am about believing him now!

I am not able to work on this thing since I dont have all that special testing crap needed to work on them.

Glad you are able to work on your own!

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, SONNY said:

My junk 7.3 has been sitting for a year now----cant get anybody to work on 7.3's around here! I need the truck and right now cant find a gas truck to replace it. 97 F-350, great truck, just dont have decent motor or transmission in it.  Found a couple more 350's,--- same deal they dont run. Mine has 118,000 miles on it and the last 6 years has cost me several thousand dollars because it was always broke down. Its been towed more miles than its been driven. Neighbor says the 7'3 is a 60,000 mile throw away motor and I am about believing him now!

I am not able to work on this thing since I dont have all that special testing crap needed to work on them.

Had to learn them! Once you learn the intricacies of how everything works together on them they’re relatively simple. Have been able to diagnose most issues with out any special tools. Only have borrowed my neighbor’s snap on scanner a couple times over the years to check some parameters. Don’t really know anybody nearby that knows them very well. Even the diesel specialty shops prefer working on 6.0 and 6.4s because they know them better.

2 hours ago, SONNY said:

Sonny; I think you made a comment on 7.3's once before. I find it interesting as the 94.5 to 2003 PSD has to be one of the most reliable engines put in a truck. I've known several with over 500K miles and one over 700K. My 95 F350 was at 290K when rust said it was done, never had any major issues. That said; I did hear of a fellow who left his sit because it wouldn't start. No matter what it wouldn't run, just died on him one day.  He was done trying to make it run, was told the oil pump and fuel injectors all needed to be replaced. He sold to a guy  I know for a low price,   he dropped in a cam sensor and away he went...Truck was ran fine.

• Like 1

Mine has over 160k miles on it but the odometer hasn’t worked in years so I’m sure it’s well over 200k. It starts and feeds everyday and I find it’s more reliable when the temps get extremely cold than my 6.4. It doesn’t gel up.
 10mm wrench and a spare cam sensor but I haven’t had to replace that in years either. 

7.3 PSD is one of the most reliable engines out there.  But like anything else you gotta know a few things about them or know someone who does. 

I’d like to find a nice 6.4 truck with a blown engine to play with.  The more I learn about the 6.4 the more I think one could be made to be reliable and run really well.

3 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Cam sensors have always been a weak point in them. most owners carried a spare in the glovebox.   They weren't hard to replace.

First  time mine went out on my '97, I popped the glovebox...previous owner had me one waiting there!  Plug the harness, 2 10mm bolts, ready to go!

1 hour ago, B.B. said:

7.3 PSD is one of the most reliable engines out there.  But like anything else you gotta know a few things about them or know someone who does. 

I’d like to find a nice 6.4 truck with a blown engine to play with.  The more I learn about the 6.4 the more I think one could be made to be reliable and run really well.

That’ what I have as a replacement for the 99 I sold. Had been deleted for quite some time when I bought it. It has over 300000km on it. No major issues with it so far. Hopefully that luck continues. Definitely no room to work on anything under the hood. Know now why they lift the cabs off

15 minutes ago, brahamfireman said:

I've owned 3, All 250K plus miles, All 3 needed orings. The 96 crew cab really needs them, maybe this summer when it gets some 160cc injectors. Not a fun job in the truck.

Didn’t find it too bad. About 2 1/2 hours per side.

8 hours ago, Binderoid said:

I got glow plugs that old... l

I put 250000 on a 95 and 97 pulling 28 foot cattle trailer put one alternator on 97 only thing ever did except wear items.

My neighbor has owned 6 of them over the years and had from 250 to 450,000 miles on them but he bought them new! Cam sensor is good on this one since the tach hand starts moving with the starter running.

6,000 miles ago a guy that SAID he could fix it put all new Ford parts on it.

Turbo

turbo pedistal

glow plugs and harness

high pressure oil pump and drive gear

several sensors

At that time he found the high pressure oil pump drive gear broke and laying in the bottom somewhere. ---- well it acts the same way now so who knows what is wrong!

Oh and after all of this it cost $5,000! and only ran 6,000 miles!

Another guy says that 1 injector miss fires on the idle but picks up under load. That is the knocking that I heard when it idled.

I checked the simple wire unplug tests that was suggested and no go on them. I dont have testers/scanners that will work on diesel motors.---mine are only for gas motors.

as for power,---nothing to write home about but I got along with it. On my general tri-axle trailer it would run about 30 mph tops with my skidloader on it.-- 14,000 pound dump trailer we could sneak 35 to 45 depending on the road. Truck by itself would run anywhere from 40 to 70 depending on how it felt. Foot to the floor made no difference.

I love the truck but its doing me no good sitting here in the way. What I need is a 350 Chevy motor, 5 speed dump truck transmission and my 3 speed aux transmission to put in this truck, THEN I would have a real truck. BUT since the money is not available to put in the truck anymore  sadly its junk. Still looking for somebody to at least look at it with testers and see if it shows anything so I would know where to start.

Last problem is that I cant get up on the motor to do much. Old health problems getting to the point that I have to be able to stand to work on stuff, cant lay over fenders anymore!

Sorry for the long post and if any of you have suggestions of how to test anything else on it,--please let me know and thanks for bearing with me!!

24 minutes ago, SONNY said:

My neighbor has owned 6 of them over the years and had from 250 to 450,000 miles on them but he bought them new! Cam sensor is good on this one since the tach hand starts moving with the starter running.

6,000 miles ago a guy that SAID he could fix it put all new Ford parts on it.

Turbo

turbo pedistal

glow plugs and harness

high pressure oil pump and drive gear

several sensors

At that time he found the high pressure oil pump drive gear broke and laying in the bottom somewhere. ---- well it acts the same way now so who knows what is wrong!

Oh and after all of this it cost $5,000! and only ran 6,000 miles!

Another guy says that 1 injector miss fires on the idle but picks up under load. That is the knocking that I heard when it idled.

I checked the simple wire unplug tests that was suggested and no go on them. I dont have testers/scanners that will work on diesel motors.---mine are only for gas motors.

as for power,---nothing to write home about but I got along with it. On my general tri-axle trailer it would run about 30 mph tops with my skidloader on it.-- 14,000 pound dump trailer we could sneak 35 to 45 depending on the road. Truck by itself would run anywhere from 40 to 70 depending on how it felt. Foot to the floor made no difference.

I love the truck but its doing me no good sitting here in the way. What I need is a 350 Chevy motor, 5 speed dump truck transmission and my 3 speed aux transmission to put in this truck, THEN I would have a real truck. BUT since the money is not available to put in the truck anymore  sadly its junk. Still looking for somebody to at least look at it with testers and see if it shows anything so I would know where to start.

Last problem is that I cant get up on the motor to do much. Old health problems getting to the point that I have to be able to stand to work on stuff, cant lay over fenders anymore!

Sorry for the long post and if any of you have suggestions of how to test anything else on it,--please let me know and thanks for bearing with me!!

The problem is still not the motor. It is the imbeciles you have selected to work on it. You spent $ 5000 and still have nothing, that is a shame. Now you’re about to do a non-Ford drive train swap, how much will that cost? Can you even use a diesel PCM with a gas motor? Are you doing the fab work to move the transmission and motor mounts, alter the driveshaft, etc., or pay someone to do it? If you’re willing to spend that kind of scratch, have it towed to someone who knows what they’re doing; or, take the hit and sell it as is. Only 6000 miles you should at least break even. Only problem with that suggestion is people that know that motor will suddenly come out of the woodwork. They’ll hand you the cash, drop in a fuel filter and drive it out of there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SONNY said:

I love the truck but its doing me no good sitting here in the way. What I need is a 350 Chevy motor, 5 speed dump truck transmission and my 3 speed aux transmission to put in this truck, THEN I would have a real truck.

No you won't, you'll still have a truck that will only go 30 mph with a bobcat on a triple axle. 

Sounds to me like you've been completely scammed by poor mechanics. If the hpop drive gear splits in half there is LITERALLY  no where for it to go. It'll ball up in the timing cover and mass disaster will follow. I'm willing to bet no HPOP gear has ever broke in half.....

You also need to realize it's a diesel V8's,  you don’t drive them around at 1500 rpm expecting them to make 190 hp. They make 190-210 at 3,000 rpm.

As for diagnostics, there's very little to the diagnostics on them, but it takes a competent mechanic to read the scanner. I can't see outside of a full rebuild how you spent 5K.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2022 at 12:33 PM, SONNY said:

How much ya asking for it?   Got any pics? 

2 NEW  fuel filters were tried---STILL no go. Fuel pump working, so ruled that out. Could be the main brainbox itself! No way for me to test that.

as for the chevy motor setup----all I need right now is a good motor! -- and yes I have put chevy motors in fords and internationals, so cuttin/welding is no problem.

I never run any more than 1750 on the tach. on this one. My 94 chevy with the 350 only had to run 1500 and yes it pulled the tri-axle trailer at 50 with no problem.

My 300 in the 150 will out pull this 7.3 but the truck wont hold up the big trailer.

neighbor says its still worth $5,000 the way it sits. the cab is good since it was never ran much in the winter.

20 minutes ago, SONNY said:

I never run any more than 1750 on the tach. on this one. My 94 chevy with the 350 only had to run 1500 and yes it pulled the tri-axle trailer at 50 with no problem.

Why????? Red line is 3250 for a reason.......

I'll NEVER believe a 350 chevy could pull a tri axle with a bobcat, while being restricted to 1500 rpm.

• Like 2

Sonny, I wasn’t suggesting that the fuel filter was the problem. I was using it as an example of quirk of fate. Someone, somewhere knows what’s wrong with your truck, and when you give up and sell is usually when the answer surfaces.
   I recently sold a Cat 950 W/ a 3304, which my father bought new in ‘74. Unless the tank was kept full, it would have a fuel drain-back problem. In the winter it was a headache cuz it took one guy to run the hand pump and another to crank the engine. I explained all this to the guy who was looking to purchase it, and he said others have had this problem and solved it with a ball valve right before the fuel filter, which was closed when the machine was parked for the day. This intrigued me, so I went one better and installed an electric fuel pump. After 30 years of on and off fiddling with this thing, both me and Caterpillar, it was cured. It started so good that I really didn’t want to sell it.

1 hour ago, SONNY said:

2 NEW  fuel filters were tried---STILL no go. Fuel pump working, so ruled that out. Could be the main brainbox itself! No way for me to test that.

as for the chevy motor setup----all I need right now is a good motor! -- and yes I have put chevy motors in fords and internationals, so cuttin/welding is no problem.

My 300 in the 150 will out pull this 7.3 but the truck wont hold up the big trailer.

neighbor says its still worth $5,000 the way it sits. the cab is good since it was never ran much in the winter.

2 totaly different engines with totally different operating designs. If your never running it over 1750 no wonder it seems like it's gutless. 

As for nobody wanting to work on it I'm guessing what you really mean is you nor any of your buddies know much about them so you can't get any.free/cheap shade tree help. Pony up and take it to a reputable shop that works on them everyday. The 7.3 has an excellent reputation.

Buddy that does landscaping and snow removal has had 4 or 5 over the years. Usually start pretty good and run pretty good too. One like a raped ape. All had 300,000 plus miles on them.

• Like 2

there is no money to pony up,-- so its starting year 2 with no 1 ton truck. right now I have to concentrate on these health problems so the truck is the last thing to get fixed.

As for "FREE FIX" , the truck was at a CERTIFIED shop and they looked at it and said junk the motor,---WHY I dont know,-- they said it has so much wrong that it needs a new motor. That dont surprise me either! Any way IF I ever start taking out bolts,--I wont quit till all I have left is the driveshaft! LOL!

And YES my 350 did pull the big trailer with no problems.