4800 field cultivtor

b&c farms

what causes the shovels to crack between the two bolt holes on my field cultivator ive had both the 7in and 9 in do it is there supposed to be a spacer between the shovel and the shank or i'm i tighten them to tight I'm in the process of putting new 9 in shovels o and I would like them to last awhile I only get about 500 to 6oo acres before they start to break any help would be greatly appreciated

Betting its a supplier issue. I've never even broken a shovel on mine and we have football sized rocks. I've broken bolts from hammering them with the impact too hard, never cracked a shovel.  What are you pulling it with and how fast? What type of dirt do you have, how deep are you going?

They are probably CaseIH shovels, they are junk. I have lost 40-50 of them, the dealer replaced them for a while then said no more, said I was putting them too tight. I started putting them on with a 3/8" ratchet, they still break and fall off.

CaseIH had a problem with the Earth Metal sweeps being to hard. It was in the early 2000's Maybe 2002-2005. It was a bad problem. I talked my CIH parts rep about it and replacing sweeps vs tractor tires and he agreed to CIH paying for replacements. I looked at thru sales history and pretty much contacted all my customers who had bought sweeps in a certain time frame. I swapped out 1000's of sweeps. I do think some issue is using an impact and over tightening.

2 hours ago, cedar farm said:

CaseIH had a problem with the Earth Metal sweeps being to hard. It was in the early 2000's Maybe 2002-2005. It was a bad problem. I talked my CIH parts rep about it and replacing sweeps vs tractor tires and he agreed to CIH paying for replacements. I looked at thru sales history and pretty much contacted all my customers who had bought sweeps in a certain time frame. I swapped out 1000's of sweeps. I do think some issue is using an impact and over tightening.

They had to screw that up huh? I sold thousands of those in the 90's without issues. I know a friend who had opener problems and press wheel bearing problems around that 2005 time frame his dealer told him everything out of tillage plant was getting bad.

Doesnt everyone use knock on shovels? Locally everyone got rid of bolt on shovels 20+years ago. We have had excellent luck with them and never lose them, but the cultivator gets lifted out of the ground on every headland turn.

About 2015, I bought a whole set of earth metal sweeps for my row crop cultivator, and every shovel on the front shanks has now cracked and broken off, usually up thru the bolts and across below the bolts.   This started the next year, and its not rust causing it.   These are the same shanks I pump 28% on under/behind the shovels and my sidedress rig, none of the shovels on any other shank have broken.   Most of them have broken sitting in the shed, I pick up the cultivator and the shovels fall off and are left sitting there. 

I believe that the nitrogen is causing some sort of chemical reaction with the Earth metal "metallurgy", making them very brittle.   The breaks look like they are brittle fracture - almost like a safety glass window when it shatters.  My dealer "never heard of that" and "can't help".     I have a set of "cheap" shovels to put on for this coming year.

3 hours ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

About 2015, I bought a whole set of earth metal sweeps for my row crop cultivator, and every shovel on the front shanks has now cracked and broken off, usually up thru the bolts and across below the bolts.   This started the next year, and its not rust causing it.   These are the same shanks I pump 28% on under/behind the shovels and my sidedress rig, none of the shovels on any other shank have broken.   Most of them have broken sitting in the shed, I pick up the cultivator and the shovels fall off and are left sitting there. 

I believe that the nitrogen is causing some sort of chemical reaction with the Earth metal "metallurgy", making them very brittle.   The breaks look like they are brittle fracture - almost like a safety glass window when it shatters.  My dealer "never heard of that" and "can't help".     I have a set of "cheap" shovels to put on for this coming year.

That sounds like some of my luck most of the time they never heard of or seen some of the problems I have lol 😆