Case 1270

Solocam8925

Thats a hydraulic clutch pack, a bunch of steel and fiber disks splined to a hub and shaft, when oil locks everything together everything locks up and spins together when the oil is taken away the hub and shaft spin independent of each other.

PTO-Clutch-Pack.jpg

11 minutes ago, Solocam8925 said:

If I'm going gear 3 3rd powershift  discing at 2100rpms at 5mph+. I strongly agree. You'll break the tranny.....

But going gear 2 1st powershift discing at 1800rpms at 2.5-3 mph. Wouldn't that prevent the tranny from burning up fast for now???

Don't most of you guys till your fields going 5mph+???? I can really see what you meant...... 

Heck I'd be surprised if my machine survived this year of tillage......

In general if you can’t pull an implement at 5mph your tractor is overloaded. We haven’t done much tillage in about 30 years, but when we did, it was all done at 4.5-5.5mph. Gearing down to pull a big load is harder on the drive train than using higher gears. 

8 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

In general if you can’t pull an implement at 5mph your tractor is overloaded. We haven’t done much tillage in about 30 years, but when we did, it was all done at 4.5-5.5mph. Gearing down to pull a big load is harder on the drive train than using higher gears. 

X2 

Going slow loads the drive train with excessive torque loads and puts more strain than necessary on the drive line

31 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I thought you'd wear your machine faster if you go 5mph+. I was going 2.5mph on gear 2 lo on my 1066 pulling a 7 shank chisel plow. 3 lo as I dropped it. It died. 12 foot disc and 7 shank chisel. Really?? I think it's better going slow.

9 minutes ago, Solocam8925 said:

I thought you'd wear your machine faster if you go 5mph+. I was going 2.5mph on gear 2 lo on my 1066 pulling a 7 shank chisel plow. 3 lo as I dropped it. It died. 12 foot disc and 7 shank chisel. Really?? I think it's better going slow.

Man, people are trying to help here, but I don’t know what more can be said. If your plan is to put a load big enough that you can only pull it at 2.5mph with a tractor that has a transmission that is slipping, I wish you good luck. Based on this, I wouldn’t figure that tractor will be able to make one full round in that field doing your tillage, even if it is 14 acres. 

We are up to 6 pages of good knowledgeable people trying to convince you that running this tractor with the powershift slipping is a BAD idea. As has been said several times, you are going to do more damage if you keep using it no matter what gear you use or how slow you go. If you wait until you actually here a noise it's too late, may as well park it in the trees and hunt deer from inside the cab. You need to drive yourself to the dealer you bought it from and confront them in person about the problem, if you don't do business with them regularly and didn't pay much for the tractor then they are just writing you off and don't want to deal with it but you have to confront them about it. If they are worth their salt and care about their reputation they will work something out on the repairs but the longer you wait the more difficult that will be.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bitty said:

X2 

Going slow loads the drive train with excessive torque loads and puts more strain than necessary on the drive line

I think it depends on the size of the equipment. I can see putting stress on your tranny going slow pulling a 25ft disc on the 1270. Not a 12 ft disc. Honestly I'm not booksmart like you guys on the forum. 32 years growing up farming with dad. I drive and feel what works better for the tractors for what size type equipment. On our super a cultivators. I can't see myself cultivating the veggies on 4th gear.... I'd stress the tranny and engine. 

Solocam8925 fell in  LOVE with this 1270 and is now MARRIED to it and he ain't going to give it up. No matter what kind of advice. Run it until the end of time. Now I'm praying for the end of time (ML).

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, bkorth said:

We are up to 6 pages of good knowledgeable people trying to convince you that running this tractor with the powershift slipping is a BAD idea. As has been said several times, you are going to do more damage if you keep using it no matter what gear you use or how slow you go. If you wait until you actually here a noise it's too late, may as well park it in the trees and hunt deer from inside the cab. You need to drive yourself to the dealer you bought it from and confront them in person about the problem, if you don't do business with them regularly and didn't pay much for the tractor then they are just writing you off and don't want to deal with it but you have to confront them about it. If they are worth their salt and care about their reputation they will work something out on the repairs but the longer you wait the more difficult that will be.

Its getting frustrating... hoping they fix it. If not. I'll drive the 1270 till it goes.... Heck fixing it already cost an arm and a leg.. 

1 hour ago, Timothy56 said:

Solocam8925 fell in  LOVE with this 1270 and is now MARRIED to it and he ain't going to give it up. No matter what kind of advice. Run it until the end of time. Now I'm praying for the end of time (ML).

Years ago there was a local girl around here. A little younger than me. I knew she had some problems, but I liked the way she looked. I thought it might be fun. It didn’t take long to figure out the problems were much worse than I thought and that I should have run screaming in the opposite direction when I first saw her. I imagine that’s how this is going to end. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, nomorejohndeere said:

I bought a dozer a couple years ago.  It was supposed to come with a few extra parts, nothing special just part of the deal.

The guy I bought it from worked at the Dodge commercial truck dealer as there sales manager a few miles from me.

I called and left a message.  I called and left a message.  I called and left a message.

After about three months I called and left a message I was going to be at his house Sunday morning and would leave when I had my parts.

He returned my call within about 4 minutes..................

I was waiting for the dozer to do the drive in at the Dodge dealership 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Solocam8925 said:

I think it depends on the size of the equipment. I can see putting stress on your tranny going slow pulling a 25ft disc on the 1270. Not a 12 ft disc. Honestly I'm not booksmart like you guys on the forum. 32 years growing up farming with dad. I drive and feel what works better for the tractors for what size type equipment. On our super a cultivators. I can't see myself cultivating the veggies on 4th gear.... I'd stress the tranny and engine. 

One of the problems pulling heavy loads at low speeds is that the oil film on the gears isn’t sufficient to carry the load. You will gut much more rapid wear.  
a friend has run a lot of those old case tractors over the years. He’s mainly had good luck. But he said he found out early on that you needed to maintain them. Clean oil and filters. And don’t run them if there is a problem. One of his 2290 was slipping and he carried on using it for a couple of days. Heat from slipping ruined the clutch carrier and a few other parts.  Worst but was as the friction lining had worn away metal particles were everywhere. There were no obvious noises. It just quit moving after a while.  He was lucky he had several parts tractors so he got away fairly cheap.  I bought a 2294 MFD from him.  One day it suddenly decided to downshift at random on the highway from 3rd ps to 2nd.   I didn’t take the chance of driving any further.  Got it back to my yard. Bit of sludge on the trans inlet screen and filters were a little dirty cut them open found a few tiny metal particles but mainly general sludge from use and condensation.  
new oil and filters and been fine since.  I could have carried on driving but I didn’t want to pay later.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do. 

Well I guess the only question hasn't been asked in all this what did you pay for it.If you bought it real cheap then you have that going for you.I buy stuff with problems stated or not at time of purchase and always have that in back of my mind in figuring cost.Its not a big thing to fix it on your own and you know it's done verse buying a tractor,the dealer says it's been done and paying more for something that wasn't done.

10 hours ago, Jacka said:

Well I guess the only question hasn't been asked in all this what did you pay for it.If you bought it real cheap then you have that going for you.I buy stuff with problems stated or not at time of purchase and always have that in back of my mind in figuring cost.Its not a big thing to fix it on your own and you know it's done verse buying a tractor,the dealer says it's been done and paying more for something that wasn't done.

Am bringing my 1270 back to the dealer. There shipping the 1270 out of state to a case powershift repair expert.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, brahamfireman said:

So your in my back yard. I'm 1 hour north. Do you know where they're shipping it to?

Hope the trip is shorter than the one it took to get to this point.

• Haha 3