Case 1270

1 hour ago, Solocam8925 said:

Ive own the 1066 for 3yrs... it's got 1 12v battery and my solution to start it is to hook up jumper cables and spray a crap of ether to get it fully running. It's really Cold blooded compared to my 1270...

Face Palm Shake My Head GIF - Face Palm Shake My Head Smdh GIFsDonald Trump Ugh Head Shake GIF - Ugh Donald Trump Head Shake GIFsErnie Sesame Street GIF - Ernie Sesame Street Smh GIFsPlease Stop Please God GIF - Please Stop Please God Just Sayin GIFsObama What GIF - Obama What Seriously GIFs

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

8 hours ago, hillman said:

1066 cold blooded!!!!!!!!!!!??????? something wrong with it but don't try  to fix it 👌

No. I figured the tractors like that. For some reason my 1st cousins 1066 with a cab can start without ether.

Does the 1066 start without ether on a mildly warm day of about 40 degrees? 50?  
does the starter turn the motor quickly? It should turn over almost as fast as a pickup truck engine.  
We would hate to see you keep feeding the engine cans of ether when all you might  have is a battery issue.
At least there is no neutral safety switch on the red tractor

6 hours ago, Solocam8925 said:

Did I talk too much on this topic??? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I will explain.  It is widely accepted that IH engines, specifically the 400 series engines in the '66, '86, and '88 series start a lot better than the Case engines.  So when you say that they 1270 starts better than the 1066, its a red flag.  About the only thing worse would be if you would have said, a 4020 or 4430 started better than your 1066.  Again, widely accepted that IH start better than JD engines of this era.  Other aspects of the tractors are debatable, but starting ability really isn't.  Just shows that there is something off with the 1066.

Also just for a note, next time you say the tractor won't start, you need to specify if it is turning over or not.  That was the key detail that was missing from your description.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Sounds like the 10 could use some help. They are usually pretty good starters. Shouldn't need any ether neither. Nor jumper cables for that matter......🤔

Last winter, I started the Hydro 100 to blow snow.  12 below zero and I had not plugged it in.   That 1066 should start easilly.  

4 hours ago, Mudfly said:

I will explain.  It is widely accepted that IH engines, specifically the 400 series engines in the '66, '86, and '88 series start a lot better than the Case engines.  So when you say that they 1270 starts better than the 1066, its a red flag.

I'll argue that all day!!!!

Have 2 504 Case motors here, 1 turbo 175hp, 1 NA 90hp. Both with readily start down to 30 no heater or ether. The big one sat 4 months and on Sunday I hooked up the battery's and hit the key. It was 20-35 for the week prior and it took off like it had ran yesterday.

Our 5088, not a good starter, it'll start but definitely takes longer to get going. I don't think I'd even try the 5088 below 30 without plugging it in. All tractors have 2 batteries, all spin right over. If you try to start the 5088 on 1 battery, it better be warm like summer otherwise it'll just spin and smoke.

The 466 in my 1480 would start in any weather that thing was crazy good. I attribute most starting problems to poor injection pumps and injectors. 

I was too young to remember the 1066 but I vividly remember the block heater cord being found burnt off 1 morning so it obviously was plugged in alot.

6 minutes ago, brahamfireman said:

I'll argue that all day!!!!

Have 2 504 Case motors here, 1 turbo 175hp, 1 NA 90hp. Both with readily start down to 30 no heater or ether. The big one sat 4 months and on Sunday I hooked up the battery's and hit the key. It was 20-35 for the week prior and it took off like it had ran yesterday.

Our 5088, not a good starter, it'll start but definitely takes longer to get going. I don't think I'd even try the 5088 below 30 without plugging it in. All tractors have 2 batteries, all spin right over. If you try to start the 5088 on 1 battery, it better be warm like summer otherwise it'll just spin and smoke.

The 466 in my 1480 would start in any weather that thing was crazy good. I attribute most starting problems to poor injection pumps and injectors. 

I was too young to remember the 1066 but I vividly remember the block heater cord being found burnt off 1 morning so it obviously was plugged in alot.

Would you agree that what I wrote is 'generally accepted' and may not apply to specific engines?

1 minute ago, Mudfly said:

Would you agree that what I wrote is 'generally accepted' and may not apply to specific engines?

I'll argue the general accepted part the most. I think both start fairly good.

JD, not so much.

13 hours ago, Solocam8925 said:

No. I figured the tractors like that. For some reason my 1st cousins 1066 with a cab can start without ether.

Ether is not your friend

that is a quote from me use  it often🤓

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, brahamfireman said:

I'll argue that all 

My 5088 will start no problem at 0 F. Not plugged in, no either. It’s probably the best cold weather starting tractor I’ve ever dealt with. Neighbor that I bought it from hinted he might consider buying it back just for the fact it was so much better than the brand new loader tractor that replaced it

• Like 1