Good, Bad, and Ugly

CowboyRam

Well we upped the ante again.  Now we are looking at a 2007 MXU 125 with 3400 hrs, a 2008 Maxxum 120 with 4400 hrs, and a 2007 Maxxum 125 with 4500 hrs.  All are priced close to $65000.  We are also still thing about the 2015 Massey 6615 with 5400 hrs for $59000.  I think they are all overpriced, but what can you do.  With this supply chain thing, there is just not much you can do about it.  The local New Holland dealer had a brand spanking new Workmaster 120 for $65000, but I just think that tractor is going to be a bit light for moving those big bales.  I think I am going to need a stiff drink before all this is done.  

I've always heard to stay away from the MXM series . (Corrected) 

Is that Massey a CVT transmission or their dynashift ? If cvt that's what I would lean towards

5 minutes ago, bitty said:

I've always heard to stay away from the MXU series . 

Is that Massey a CVT transmission or their dynashift ? If cvt that's what I would lean towards

I think it is the dynashift.  

I have a daughter that lives in Montana and I understand you guys out there don't have the luxury of being hours away from multiple sources of whatever you need. But you ever think from buying online without physically driving it first might give you more or better options.I have been following this thread and in the Lancaster Farming alone I thought I seen better deals than you have been quoting.I might not be comparing apples to apples though. Just a thought. I know I wouldn't have a problem buying a tractor over the phone bought many that way and never seen them until they were delivered and it was way before the internet took off.

12 minutes ago, Jacka said:

I have a daughter that lives in Montana and I understand you guys out there don't have the luxury of being hours away from multiple sources of whatever you need. But you ever think from buying online without physically driving it first might give you more or better options.I have been following this thread and in the Lancaster Farming alone I thought I seen better deals than you have been quoting.I might not be comparing apples to apples though. Just a thought. I know I wouldn't have a problem buying a tractor over the phone bought many that way and never seen them until they were delivered and it was way before the internet took off.

That is how I bought my 7130 about three years ago.  It looks like the MXU has sold, as it is no longer on their website; must have just been taken off this evening, because I was looking at this afternoon.  

Nephew bought a 2007, I think, Maxxum 125 about a year ago. 18 x 38, bar axle, MFD, 750 loader, 3 manual remotes, 2700 hrs. Beautiful tractor with like new rubber. Bought over the phone from dealer in eastern Penn 500 mile away. 58K delivered. What a difference a year makes.  I don't know what trans were available, but his has a high/low requiring the clutch with a 4 speed ps by a toggle on the throttle. Plus another high/low lever too. 16 speeds. Left hand reverser with a neutral. 

• Like 1

the mxu tractors were pretty reliable tractors basically the same as the newer maxxum.  The mxm series is the series to stay away from

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, maxxum 140 said:

the mxu tractors were pretty reliable tractors basically the same as the newer maxxum.  The mxm series is the series to stay away from

The MXM isn't that bad. The problem with the MXM was that is was a complete new tractor for the CIH dealerships. Over here the blue TM version are really wanted and a red MXM is not at all wanted and it's the same tractor. We have several TM 115's in service with 12.000 to 15.000 hours. The TM 175 and TM 190 have got some problems and more than anywhere else in our region because of the use as transport vehicule.

around us the mxmm tractors had alot of electrical gremlins when they came out.  After a couple of years they got alot better for reliability but their name had already been tarnished.

I know nothing about it but looked reasonable enough compared to the other ones you've found, certainly more of a tractor. Not local, not sure if that's a deal breaker or if you needed MFWD but just seen it tonight.

Its seemed like lately if you want something you gotta be on the ball quickly.

Already has a loader but no joystick that I saw.

https://www.tractorhouse.com/listing/for-sale/211451891/1991-case-ih-7120-100-hp-to-174-hp-tractors

There is a 2004 MXM140 down in Arizona with about 5400 hrs for $34,500.  I would have to have a loaded put on it.  I am not sure how much a loader would cost, but I am going to guess I could probably get a loader and install for somewhere near $20,000.  It would probably cost me a couple grand to go down to Arizona to pick it up.  Maybe I would be better off buying that 2015 6615 Massey Ferguson down in Colorado for $59,000.  That would only be a four hour haul.  The other advantage is I would not have to put a loader on the Massey.  

Now if I can get my trailer fix.  We took it down the have brakes fixed on it, as they were not working.  When they jacked it up it had a broken spring.  On Monday we hauled our 1135 back home from Worland.  I'm thinking we are lucky we got home with it.  

5 hours ago, CowboyRam said:

There is a 2004 MXM140 down in Arizona with about 5400 hrs for $34,500.  I would have to have a loaded put on it.  I am not sure how much a loader would cost, but I am going to guess I could probably get a loader and install for somewhere near $20,000.  It would probably cost me a couple grand to go down to Arizona to pick it up.  Maybe I would be better off buying that 2015 6615 Massey Ferguson down in Colorado for $59,000.  That would only be a four hour haul.  The other advantage is I would not have to put a loader on the Massey.  

Now if I can get my trailer fix.  We took it down the have brakes fixed on it, as they were not working.  When they jacked it up it had a broken spring.  On Monday we hauled our 1135 back home from Worland.  I'm thinking we are lucky we got home with it.  

$20000 for the loader.  Are you thinking a new one?  Local shop sourced a loader for me on my 5250 for $5000 with the joystick brackets etc.  I know it is a wild goose chase for a loader to fit a certain tractor series.  This is actually a woods loader.

KIMG0036.JPG

I

39 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

$20000 for the loader.  Are you thinking a new one?  Local shop sourced a loader for me on my 5250 for $5000 with the joystick brackets etc.  I know it is a wild goose chase for a loader to fit a certain tractor series.  This is actually a woods loader.

KIMG0036.JPG

Yes I was thinking a new one.  Beside I want to have my budget high enough so that I don't get caught with my pants down if I do buy a tractor without a loader.  I most likely would not spend that much.  

1 hour ago, nomorejohndeere said:

They are a good looking red tractor

What ya goin to do with the 1135?

Probably list it on Big iron.  

I thought long and hard about the CaseIH MXM140, but with all I read about it I was afraid to buy it.  I love my 7130, and I would have considered getting a 7110; I really wanted a left hand reverse for a loader tractor.  I hope this Massey works out well for us.  

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry but there is no way I would own a Massey. My son had one about that size, I can't recall the number. It really was bad, traded for a Farmall 95. Better but not the best. Now got a 120. Much better.

On 2/4/2022 at 12:13 AM, ihrondiesel said:

I’ll sell you a 5488 MFD with loader for $40,000. Even deliver it for a little more. Just sayin’…..

I have a trade. How much difference on a 5088 with a loader? For some reason there aren’t any 88 series mfds up here, or the early Magnums.