shifting rebuild question

pt756

Hello there, i have the transmission cover off the 856, and i also want to replace the part where all the collars rotate on, did one a few years ago on a different tractor, helped a lot, so i looked at hy capacity and they offer the kit, 3 collars and the shaft, where do you get the bushing? i remember replacing that also. who else sells the kit? thanks

I assume that you are referring to the shift kit that the High/Low/Reverse shift lever hooks to. Last week I installed the shift kit, the bushing inside the hollow shaft that the shift levers rotate on, and the vertical shaft and neutral shift plate that hooks to the linkage that goes to the range cover. 

I got all of the parts from A&I and it was a disaster!!   The ID of the bushing that goes into the hollow shaft was too small so I had to have it honed.  The vertical shaft, and the lower plate that engages into the park lock was mis-timed so I had to cut the top off of the vertical shaft and weld it back on after positioning it correctly so the little adjustable turnbuckle could be hooked up. 

After I got that all reinstalled for the 2nd time, I found that I could not shift the linkage all of the way into high.  Further inspection revealed that the center shift collar that connects to the High/Low/reverse shift lever,AND the shift collar that is used for shifting into reverse were both make incorrectly so I had to do some serious grinding on them to make them work.   AND, in addition to all of the above, I had to grind on the casting of the shift console because the arm on the shift collar that is used for reverse was a little out of time so it would hit the casting that holds the right-hand temp/fuel gauge plate. 

if I could give this junk a negative 5 Stars, I would.

The previous kit that I had installed, I had gotten from Hy-Capacity and it fit great — lesson learned. 

I hope this long text helps someone to avoid all the grief and wasted labor that I incurred. 

10 hours ago, Red Tech said:

I assume that you are referring to the shift kit that the High/Low/Reverse shift lever hooks to. Last week I installed the shift kit, the bushing inside the hollow shaft that the shift levers rotate on, and the vertical shaft and neutral shift plate that hooks to the linkage that goes to the range cover. 

I got all of the parts from A&I and it was a disaster!!   The ID of the bushing that goes into the hollow shaft was too small so I had to have it honed.  The vertical shaft, and the lower plate that engages into the park lock was mis-timed so I had to cut the top off of the vertical shaft and weld it back on after positioning it correctly so the little adjustable turnbuckle could be hooked up. 

After I got that all reinstalled for the 2nd time, I found that I could not shift the linkage all of the way into high.  Further inspection revealed that the center shift collar that connects to the High/Low/reverse shift lever,AND the shift collar that is used for shifting into reverse were both make incorrectly so I had to do some serious grinding on them to make them work.   AND, in addition to all of the above, I had to grind on the casting of the shift console because the arm on the shift collar that is used for reverse was a little out of time so it would hit the casting that holds the right-hand temp/fuel gauge plate. 

if I could give this junk a negative 5 Stars, I would.

The previous kit that I had installed, I had gotten from Hy-Capacity and it fit great — lesson learned. 

I hope this long text helps someone to avoid all the grief and wasted labor that I incurred. 

I know exactly what you mean!

I had conversation with them about this issue.  They couldn't send me new parts because they checked the ones on hand, and they were wrong also!

This was summer of 2020.

Guess they still have some left yet!  

That kit is tagged by customer service that there are issues!

Mine were credited to my account,  didnt want them back. So I had to have them machined and  massaged to work.

I think I had a thread on this back when I had issues. 

• Confused 1

question on the new shaft for the shifting rebuild kit, so after milking last night i installed the new shaft for the shifters to rotate on, earlier in the day when i oicked up the kit the guy didnt have the bushing in the kit. he knew that and said the little bushing that goes on the end of the shaft is crazy price, instead he uses a bushing meant for a combine that did have a ih part number on ,the only difference i can see is a little bit shorter, otherwise shaft when in nicely, second time i have done this rebuild, all parts from hy-capacity, and the repair guy is going to go thru the cover , we a;so are going to replace the large bolt also,