3788 TA suddenly quit. Here's why

Oil holes disappeared. The lube hole is still there, but apparently when remanufacturing these the seal ring area is renewed by machining off the area and replacing with a sleeve with new ring grooves. And when the sleeve decides to rotate on the shaft there goes the oil holes and TA no longer works. It ran for maybe 25 hours  before doing this. Anybody no any more about the rebuilding process?

IMG_20220128_104911190_HDR.jpg

• Sad 1

Frankly expect to see more of this in the future. You can't keep rebuilding the same cores over and over and over and over and not run into situations where the wear in some area is just too great. The options are machine a whole new part, or try and patch it with a band-aid. Guess which one costs less.

You are correct in the process used by some of the re builders,  Machined and a thin sleeve pressed on. Never saw that happen without the center part of the shaft (inside the sleeve) taking a twist and only remember two twisted in the ring area in my time of being around Ta's. This one appears to have been improperly fitted and it  probably turned when scrubbed against the bushing wall. Wonder what the bushing that it rides in shows for clues?  In defense of the re-builder's, the reusable cores for 13 spline (larger shafts) have gotten real hard to find.  And Matt is correct in the cost assessment,  But I would say that there are lots of TA Shafts out there wearing that fix with out causing any troubles, it has been used for a few years now, and most have been successful.  There are a few places building new shafts but they are spendy!

ed

Are they iron sealing rings ?

• Thanks 1

The bushing we need to see is the one in the "red" cast housing that actually surrounds those cast rings. it will have 2 circles of holes that direct oil to the clutch pacs by forcing it between those rings. in to the shaft and endways through the shaft to the clutch pacs.

Oh, I should have known which bushing. And responded sooner. TA came from A & I, and guess what, they aren't interested in the deal because they don't have a warranty card on fie for this T.A. We are thinking about staking the holes to the inner shaft (to prevent more turning)  and reopening the holes in the sleeve in the right place. Crazy or not?

IMG_20220205_213209848.jpg

So they need warranty card prolly, because that is a Hi- Capacity TA.  A&I needs to cover their end, why no card? If only 25 hours? 

5 year warranty if I remember correctly.

Nothing worse than getting inferrior parts , Last T/A I installed was a mechanical diode version from Case-IH it also had a 5 yr warranty with out stupid warranty cards to send back I never had any problems with it 

1 hour ago, ksfarmdude said:

Nothing worse than getting inferrior parts , Last T/A I installed was a mechanical diode version from Case-IH it also had a 5 yr warranty with out stupid warranty cards to send back I never had any problems with it 

Same here no problem with caseih mechanical diode in my 1466 put it in around 10 years ago 

11 minutes ago, redpower123 said:

Same here no problem with caseih mechanical diode in my 1466 put it in around 10 years ago 

On the early ones the diode wasn't hardened enough and we did a fair share of warranty. After they got that fixed they seamed to be ok

On 2/5/2022 at 10:46 PM, oldiron user said:

Oh, I should have known which bushing. And responded sooner. TA came from A & I, and guess what, they aren't interested in the deal because they don't have a warranty card on fie for this T.A. We are thinking about staking the holes to the inner shaft (to prevent more turning)  and reopening the holes in the sleeve in the right place. Crazy or not?

IMG_20220205_213209848.jpg

Don't think thats the best answer. I would just find a shaft and put it in there, If you need help locating one pm me or find my cell number or try (888-Lea-mans) 

Can you post a picture of the sprag?  I assume its the one with the big brass bushing used to keep things straight?  On this picture here whats the reason for the rust around the bushing?

Is definitely a Hy cap TA, I was looking for the sprag to be like BMD sold. But that sprag is what HYCap sells.

1 hour ago, Ed Leaman said:

Is definitely a Hy cap TA, I was looking for the sprag to be like BMD sold. But that sprag is what HYCap sells.

Ed, I'm thinking 2015 or before was the last year,  of the BMD/A&I style TA.   I know in 2016 A&I was for sure sourcing  them from Hi-Capacity.

BMD & Allied  both used a sleeved input shaft also if needed.

Mark

I liked the BMD style sprag better (was actually a Dana product and promoted through Aer-Vac) than anything built until the wider Renoud came out in the late 80's  And I still have some of them running in places where nothing else would have stayed.

17 hours ago, Ed Leaman said:

I liked the BMD style sprag better (was actually a Dana product and promoted through Aer-Vac) than anything built until the wider Renoud came out in the late 

Back in the day Aer-Vac  had the sprag gear assembly machined and set up for their Ta by the same place Chuck Butler  had Reman their BMD Ta. 

I never learned who Mr. Boykin had doing his work but we sold a ton of his sprag kits in our ta's back in the 70's, and 80's