Wanted IH Low Ash oil.

Red Tech

I went to the Case IH dealer a couple of days ago to pick up a pail of IH Low Ash #30 oil for my 560 gas tractor.  I have had this tractor for 25 years and have only used the genuine IH oil in it.  I have never had the head off of it since I have owned it, although I only put on about 40 hours a year. 

I was told that it is no longer available and they don’t know of a comparable alternative which meets the specs of having no more than .5 ash content. 

I am now very concerned about developing valve troubles if I use any of the higher ash content oils. Have any of you Forum members actually found an alternative that meets the IH low ash specs?  

Thanks,
Red Tech. 

Since CNH changed oil supplier's, some dealers no longer carry it. Messick's still is a Viscosity oil dealer, the maker of "Low ash". This is probably the closest to the original. For 40 hours a year a good 30wt like Pennzoil or something is probably fine. Its all better stuff than when your 560 was new!😎

UNITEK™ MG Gasoline and Diesel Engine Oil SAE 30 - Viscosity Oil

I found this on the Chat side. May be of interest to you.

• Members
  •  

Looking at the tests the Syn - Blend has 200 PPM more Zinc 

Rotella T4 15W-40 Dino

Zinc - 1,070 PPM

Rotella T5 15W-40 Syn-Blend 

Zinc - 1,267 PPM 

And apparently it is Low Ash

"The low ash formulation in our synthetic diesel oil helps protect the exhaust catalysts and particulate filters found on the latest low emission vehicles"

Low Ash is still available from Viscosity oil dealers. The challenge is, how do you find Viscosity oil dealers?

Viscosity Oil does not have any sort of dealer locator facility that I have been able to find.

Yes, I am aware that some members here are Viscosity Oil dealers, but what good does that do me if you're in Wisconsin or Virginia, and I'm in New York? Oil has to be shipped HAZMAT which is a huge surcharge. If you think the "exact right" oil is too expensive now, see how much it will cost after adding in shipping. It also does not help me if I need a bucket of Ultraction TODAY, not a week from now.

Yes, I am aware you can CALL them and they will put you in touch with a "territory manager" who will then find you a local dealer, but that is unacceptably inefficient. You're going to have to handle 10's of thousands of calls. Why not just have a map where you can find the local dealer, and go there?

• Like 1

Sounds like there are alternatives at least for you.  Word is that in light of recent production and shipping issues manufacturers are revisiting what they feel are necessary parts for the majority of their customers.  This is to mean that parts for older equipment are at risk of being discontinued that previously were readily available to order.  Further, with the push back into purchasing what are now decades old tractors the by product will be reduced parts availability at the salvage yards as fewer units head there plus manufacturers will cut offerings to force customers back into purchasing new units to keep expensive factories open.  

I'm not a big fan of Cenex oil but several farmers near me here run Irriflex low ash. 

On my own 756 gas I'm using 10w 30 Valvoline since it was overhauled 800 hours ago. No issues. Fire away guys!😀

334d72c1161041a895d0b8d11b9a7d32VCoIvyw0ekMPVl0b-0.thumb.jpg.1b1edd989c33cf0e6d41eb1ffe1dd796.jpg334d72c1161041a895d0b8d11b9a7d32VCoIvyw0ekMPVl0b-1.thumb.jpg.9b86ec5341f77854b7663f1cc25cd457.jpg

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Low Ash is still available from Viscosity oil dealers. The challenge is, how do you find Viscosity oil dealers?

Viscosity Oil does not have any sort of dealer locator facility that I have been able to find.

Yes, I am aware that some members here are Viscosity Oil dealers, but what good does that do me if you're in Wisconsin or Virginia, and I'm in New York? Oil has to be shipped HAZMAT which is a huge surcharge. If you think the "exact right" oil is too expensive now, see how much it will cost after adding in shipping. It also does not help me if I need a bucket of Ultraction TODAY, not a week from now.

Yes, I am aware you can CALL them and they will put you in touch with a "territory manager" who will then find you a local dealer, but that is unacceptably inefficient. You're going to have to handle 10's of thousands of calls. Why not just have a map where you can find the local dealer, and go there?

9 Quarts of Oil can be shipped easily. https://www.messicks.com/part/74633dx6us/unitek-diesel-engine-oil-sae-30-quart

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Heck Vanilla extract has to be labeled as haz mat when shipped. See boxes of it on my trailer all the time.

56 minutes ago, FarmallFan said:

Quarts can be shipped without hazmat but anything larger has to be shipped as hazmat.

There aren't many tractors out there that 9 quarts is enough for an oil change... Who would want to change the oil in a 1086 using quarts?

14 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Heck Vanilla extract has to be labeled as haz mat when shipped. See boxes of it on my trailer all the time.

I'm talking about shipping, not trucking. Most UPS and Fedex are not placarded, so they have to send a special truck with your oil if it's in containers any bigger than a quart, and they charge a pretty premium for that service.

I'm sure with trucking you have to have the hazmat endorsement and placard the truck when hauling vanilla extract.

2 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

I'm talking about shipping, not trucking. Most UPS and Fedex are not placarded, so they have to send a special truck with your oil if it's in containers any bigger than a quart, and they charge a pretty premium for that service.

I'm sure with trucking you have to have the hazmat endorsement and placard the truck when hauling vanilla extract.

If you haul less than 1000 pounds of haz no placards or endorsement needed. I have 5 gallon buckets of all types of engine and hydraulic oil on the trailer everyday.

5 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

If you haul less than 1000 pounds of haz no placards or endorsement needed. I have 5 gallon buckets of all types of engine and hydraulic oil on the trailer everyday.

All I know is Fedex and UPS nail you to the wall for hazmat on flammable liquids in containers larger than quarts. Unless something has changed.

I got ahead of the curve on this. When first discussed here I basically cleaned out the local dealer. They do have some 10 weight left but I got all the 30.

Edit; I'd still like to drop a diesel in that 756. Pretty sure there will always be a need for low ash at my place. Just dreaming about the future!

Went to my local dealer today and he had none. Looked in his network of 15 other stores and only one had two 5 gallon pails in stock. I told him to have it transferred to the store and I’d take both. He says they ordered some and they got Pennzoil straight 30 weight instead. Says they’re not sure what they’re going to do for replacement. 

What you need to do is go to your oreillys or napa  store and get some oil that is speced for a detroit diesel. They called for low ash oil in their two cycle diesels.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

All I know is Fedex and UPS nail you to the wall for hazmat on flammable liquids in containers larger than quarts. Unless something has changed.

I get gallons jugs delivered every 3 months with free shipping.

I have heard this for years and never understood it. I would like to know what phenomenon occurs when a C-282 is run with any oil other than low-ash.   It’s a steel valve running in an iron guide like most other engines, yet the 263-282s turn into grenades soon as one switches lubricants. Why?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Binderoid said:

I have heard this for years and never understood it. I would like to know what phenomenon occurs when a C-282 is run with any oil other than low-ash.   It’s a steel valve running in an iron guide like most other engines, yet the 263-282s turn into grenades soon as one switches lubricants. Why?

It doesn't turn them into grenades. It does greatly enhance the likelihood of a burnt valve. Ash deposits can break loose and get caught on valve face between valve and seat. Result is valve that looks like it was cut with torch. Had two or three tractors do that hooked to dyno. Happens instantly. Low ash oil and improved intake guide seals were the prescribed cure.