Evaporust on a shotgun?

vtfireman85

I got this 12ga from a friend. No sentimental value and virtually no monetary value. Wondering about an evaporust bath to clean it up. I do t really care about the bluing. 

EC8D0826-3153-4952-8A90-5858A48848FC.jpeg

7BFF6679-1DA8-4C05-8800-62354BDB80CC.jpeg

A9AFF13D-3EDA-44FB-B7AC-F808FF014D77.jpeg

B284BD07-5559-4A2E-95A7-8D31BF14564F.jpeg

18CDFD83-5822-4E20-81DC-AD7C0C54078F.jpeg

FDE53DCA-1230-4285-8639-E73E1CC2FE0B.jpeg

9BA9D54E-F30D-48D4-B739-7B437F932EDE.jpeg

61132054-41D1-42C1-A9A0-26FD92C1EA2C.jpeg

21503ECA-D9AB-4174-B39F-90D3B80CF24D.jpeg

360FC010-1E0E-4016-8E84-783240C23080.jpeg

BA2667F6-67DD-4D0E-BFF9-D3D556E77958.jpeg

FCD02B25-CF32-4B6D-BD40-1462A17BE0A4.jpeg

C98129A1-6777-48D2-838A-CD80C8FAAC71.jpeg

@Rawleigh99 has used it quite a bit maybe he can chime in, doesn't look too bad yet, barring that there are some YouTube gunsmithing videos that cover this

I’ve had good experience with evaporust on tractor stuff like carb parts and nuts/bolts. The procedure I’ve had the best luck with is:

1. letting parts soak fully submerged for 12+ hours

2. Clean off with water and old toothbrush 

4. Blow dry with compressed air 

3. Dampen cloth in clean evaporust and lightly wipe parts down to prevent flash rusting 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, acem said:

Your wearing crocks. Real men don't wear crocks.

Tell me where to send it and ill send in my card, i am not giving up my crocs. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Tell me where to send it and ill send in my card, i am not giving up my crocs. 

I stand with you 

This is where your generation chooses to take a stand🤔😁crocs?

In a restoration video I watched a long time ago on something infinitely worse he started with a very fine steel wool to remove the rust, being this is kind of in the early stages you might even get by with a toothbrush, I would try evaporust and something soft and not very aggressive maybe even a cloth, soaking may help

• Haha 2

I use OOOO steel wool and gun oil.

The light rust comes right off and the other you need to get more aggressive with.

• Like 2

So,  you said it really dosent have any value to speak of . For me, its the perfect gun to just leave it as is. Clean it with Kroil or your favorite gun cleaner/oil , make sure it functions and be done. 
Ideal gun to leave out in the machine shed up above a door or hidden behind a feed sack or whatever rather then leaving a nice valuable one out in that ( not so nice environment.)

• Like 3

29CD2B9E-825C-44C0-AE74-73147CC7823A.thumb.jpeg.440ed3e557377a7229b94089f4e98bcf.jpegAs you may have noticed , i dont post pictures of guns but this one pertains to your story.  
   My brother in law found this old 870 while he was outfitting in Yellowstone back in the 70’s . The wood was rotted off and the whole  thing was pretty much a rusted worthless piece of junk   He submerged it in some Diesel fuel and forgot about it for an extended period of time. He never really did anything with it for about ten years so i took it completely apart , meticulously cleaned each part and put it back together. After testing it  I shortened the barrel and had it magnaported, bought aftermarket forearm and pistol grip , and a magazine extension , did my own trigger enhancement , added a surefire with thumb switch and it has worked perfectally every since. I even won a ( from the hip) shooting competition with it. I dont care if it gets wet, scratched, dropped, kicked, spilled on, tossed behind a tractor seat, ect…. 

Probably the very last one i would ever get rid of.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lorenzo said:

29CD2B9E-825C-44C0-AE74-73147CC7823A.thumb.jpeg.440ed3e557377a7229b94089f4e98bcf.jpegAs you may have noticed , i dont post pictures of guns but this one pertains to your story.  
   My brother in law found this old 870 while he was outfitting in Yellowstone back in the 70’s . The wood was rotted off and the whole  thing was pretty much a rusted worthless piece of junk   He submerged it in some Diesel fuel and forgot about it for an extended period of time. He never really did anything with it for about ten years so i took it completely apart , meticulously cleaned each part and put it back together. After testing it  I shortened the barrel and had it magnaported, bought aftermarket forearm and pistol grip , and a magazine extension , did my own trigger enhancement , added a surefire with thumb switch and it has worked perfectally every since. I even won a ( from the hip) shooting competition with it. I dont care if it gets wet, scratched, dropped, kicked, spilled on, tossed behind a tractor seat, ect…. 

Probably the very last one i would ever get rid of.

Thats cool, one of the reasons I really don't care is that i foresee a date with a bandsaw in its future anyway 

Try 0000 steel wool and penetrating oil first......PB Blaster.....see how it cleans up.

PB makes a decent cutting fluid...

• Like 1

Marvel mystery oil

or just gun oil

soft 0000 steel wool, brass detail brush for hard to reach, copper penny/pipe for scraping

scrub a dub

won't harm what's left of bluing with oil

electrolysis would prolly work good, vinegar, molasses, soda blasting

Seth:  No on using Evaporust on the gun unless you want to refinish it.  It will remove all of the bluing, since it is a form of oxidation.  Also do not use any abrasive or steel wool to remove the rust or you will have a bright spot where the rust was.   

Get a length of aluminum gutter that will fit the barrel, seal the ends of the gutter with something that will withstand boiling.  Remove the furniture and boil the gun parts in distilled water.  Also boil some 0000 steel wool with the parts to remove any oil.  Once you have removed them from the water, go over them with the 0000 steel wool to card the surface and remove the dull black areas where the rust was..  This will convert the iron oxide to a different chemical state which will basically make them rust bluing.  Once you have gone over it well with the steel wool, lightly oil it. 

Brownells has special carding brushes and wire wheels, but degreased 0000 steel wool will suffice.

Search for "Anvil" or Mark Novak in Youtube for further details on conserving the gun's finish.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, hardtail said:

This is where your generation chooses to take a stand🤔😁crocs?

Look, i spend all day on my feet and crocs feel good, i got nothing to prove… the only reason @acem is making a deal about it is because he has a hard time not peeing on his own shoes, so he doesn’t like the holes… i have no such issues.

ahhh youth😘

• Haha 5

36 minutes ago, acem said:

Dad used to use naval jelly to remove rust. But he didn't wear crocks!

Because he didn’t have them

23 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Look, i spend all day on my feet and crocs feel good, i got nothing to prove… the only reason @acem is making a deal about it is because he has a hard time not peeing on his own shoes, so he doesn’t like the holes… i have no such issues.

ahhh youth😘

Has nothing to do with age!!!

ol adage of 2” of this and 4” of coveralls is true this time of year!!!

• Haha 6

I go bear foot around the house. I wear boots outside. I do have a pair of water shoes for watersports( canoing, sailing, wade fishing, etc). 

I won't let our scouts wear crocks to water activities. They always come off and get lost in the water before the weekend is over. They sink in the water.

BTW, I have no problem getting pee on my feet and no need for little blue pills!

I hope your shotgun comes out good for you. I have refinished several guns with engine paint. It's resistant to many solvents and heat and easy to work with.  Think hard before choping the barrel, it's hard to weld it back!

Thx-Ace 

8 minutes ago, acem said:

I won't let our scouts wear crocks to water activities. They always come off and get lost in the water before the weekend is over. They sink in the water.

What kinda crocs do you have down there?? Or what kinda water? Locked into sport mode they wont come off and mine float any i have had float. 

im just teasing about the peeing 

I don't know what kind they have or how theywear them. It's just that at every water event several boys would loose them. We wasted alot of time looking for crocks when we should be doing something fun.

If it wasn't leave no trace it wouldn't be so bad...

Of course some of these boys could break an anvil with rubber hammer!

Thx-Ace