Got a spun bearing causing a rod knock on cylinder 5. Crank shaft is out of round over .004 so it’s gonna take a new crank. I’m only 28 and this is my first time replacing a crankshaft, didn’t know if there was a trick to getting it out other than splitting the tractor 

It's not as bad as it looks. If you're somewhat mechanically inclined, buy the service manuals and jump in. It's built with nuts and bolts. Or do as much as you feel comfortable with and enlist help when you get stuck.     It's a good time to evaluate the clutch and ipto. No fuel tank to work around on an 86. 

• Like 1

I made a set of splitting stands similar to the ones pictured in the link from above.  Just build them right on the tractor for the width.  We also had a bar that went from the bottom of the roller stand up to the bottom front cover bolt for stability (when you remove the engine just stick the bolt through the empty hole).

Also placed blocks on each side of the front nose to keep it going from side to side.

9F48E911-AF13-4F0F-93A9-BFA70379DCFB.webp

On 1/23/2022 at 3:46 PM, SeanP said:

Got a spun bearing causing a rod knock on cylinder 5. Crank shaft is out of round over .004 so it’s gonna take a new crank. I’m only 28 and this is my first time replacing a crankshaft, didn’t know if there was a trick to getting it out other than splitting the tractor 

You are going to know a lot more after you get this job done?

It is a fair sized project but doable.

Good Luck and send some pics our way as you go along.

On 1/23/2022 at 5:48 PM, Super A_sepa said:

It's a good time to drop a 466 crank and pistons in while you're in there... 

:)  Sorry couldn't help myself :)