Anyone know anything about cat breeds?

vtfireman85

My mother showed my old Sunday school teacher a picture of my fat useless cat, she said Oh! Thats a Bombay! 
i looked them up, the description sure fits… I always thought cats were pretty much just cats , different colors and such… I know there are special breeds but for the most part they’re pretty much all mixed together. 
i keep trying to give him

to @1586 Jeff, so far no dice. 

https://www.aspcapetinsurance.com/resources/bombay-cat/

56E71E6E-0CAA-4D50-AE39-1200E2B16CF1.jpeg

FD3ABE4D-ECB2-4833-8483-49A10FA8534C.jpeg

25DDFD3C-0BD9-43E5-9F78-D3626F5E9375.jpeg

4CF280C3-887A-4C82-B2B0-D5E8026FFA10.jpeg

AE48F291-C879-4883-BE75-ACF3507CE3A3.jpeg

AEDAF633-87DB-4423-8C85-45C62CC95EE0.jpeg

• Like 5

My thoughts are along the same lines as yours.  The only cat breed I know of is a Manx cat.  One of those showed up at my grandparents farm when I was young.  There were all different versions of knarly looking tails on the barn cats for many generations afterwards.

• Haha 1

There are several kinds of cats

1- good cats

2- bad cats

3- free cats

4- dead cats

5- barn cats

6- house cats

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

short hair or long hair - siamese - we rescued a manx - tabby are my experience - manx, dont get one of those suckers!!! he has been a menace - they have a spinal issue with their vertebra that causes them to not have a tail, its very common for them to be incontinent. Ours will jsut be walking along and drop a pellet out the rear hatch and has no idea what happened. THey also tinkle and dont realize it either and will lay right in the mess, at least ours does. Last winter he got up under the dash of my boat and up into the front compartment from below and we had no idea. It almost ruined things. We had to air it out, throw away 4 life jackets all the while he was still using the litter box so we thot nothing of it. 

We didnt realize the problems brewing so with lots of chemicals, scrubbing, sunshine, bleach, ammonia, pinesol, some carpet stuff for pets, baking soad and some other online concoctions we got it cleaned out and tolerable. 

Cat has been kicked out of the barn. He sleeps with the dog now in the garage and hasnt been a problem there outside of walking all over our vehicles and leaving tracks. We find an errant dropping here or there but he hasnt been spraying in teh garage. 

All our cats growing up were outdoor tabbys. Short hair like the famous oranger tiger striped  morris the 9lives cat. They come in gray and orange mostly. 

siamese, my aunt/uncle had one, outside male, when i lived with them while attending DeVry, any cat in the neighborhood that came over was in for a fight, that was the meanest sucker i ever saw, not much of a lover, just down right in a pissy mood all the time, not saying they are all like that but i have heard siamese are fighters and he was. We would get woke up at night to the most awful screaming hissing growling fight you ever could imagine. 

we name all our cats walter, we are currently on walter 3.0

• Haha 3

Siamese cats are another breed. Besides the color of the full blooded they have a kink in the tail out at the last inch. The last 40 years all cats are strays my wife and kids have taken in.

My wife commented to somebody about more than one of the current cats had got there tail broke or smashed. They knew about the Siamese tail.

We had several very overfeed worthless cats. One ran away from a mouse that came to his dry food dish. We where down to 2 wild cats that where old, only hunted a little. Then a skinny momma cat showed up. Mice have gone away gophers too.   

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

There are several kinds of cats

1- good cats

2- bad cats

3- free cats

4- dead cats

5- barn cats

6- house cats

This one is a good pet, lousy cat.. lazy to the bone, when the squirrel was in the Christmas tree this year he was laying sprawled out 5’ away, no interest, only thing he wants to hunt is the other cat, and the only thing he eats is dry kibble, no treats, no hotdogs no wet food, nuthin. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fasttommy said:

My daughter has one that looks a lot like that. It’s a really good cat except it meows a lot at night. 

FC6E2A5E-5B5F-4271-B319-F346776FABE9.jpeg

That looks familiar, likes belly rubs? Weird behavior for a cat. This one wants in your face ALL THE TIME. We have to keep the bedroom door shut or he’s doing that ^^^ all night in shifting positions on the bed… enough to drive a body nuts. 
we take him places, he goes to my folks for the day on holidays, gets along well with the 5-7 dogs that are always there too. He also comes when called, quickly and reliably. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

fyi, if they get hungry enough they will catch something 😉

Wife and i are going away for a couple days shortly, maybe I forget to feed him? 

12 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

This one is a good pet, lousy cat.. lazy to the bone, when the squirrel was in the Christmas tree this year he was laying sprawled out 5’ away, no interest, only thing he wants to hunt is the other cat, and the only thing he eats is dry kibble, no treats, no hotdogs no wet food, nuthin. 

Got two barn cats here. They get a little food and all the mice they can eat. 

We had a calico for a few years right after we got married.  She just showed up one day and acted like she was at home.

She actually had a good temperament - didn't have that typical cat attitude (catitude?) that some of your more uppity cats have been known to exhibit - acted more like a loyal dog.  Died of infectious anemia a few years after she showed up.

We adopted a Tuxedo cat from the animal shelter and named him Mr. Trickey. He was a very special cat, he'd follow me every where which was not always a good thing. Even out in the woods while logging fire wood. One day I went out back of the shop to take a whiz, when I finished he looked up at me and then went and covered the spot ! THAT WAS DEFINATLY MY CAT !!!!

• Haha 6

My mom always had cats. They were all pretty loving. One was an exceptional hunter - always bringing home what he caught. He used to bring home bats and I had a hard time figuring out how he was getting them until I saw him get a bird. He'd let them fly overhead then jump high in the air and get them from behind. It amazing how high they can jump up, and down, without getting hurt.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I've had pretty good luck with cats historically.  Had various kinds including a Maine Coon.  The best one ever was a black and white female.  She passed within the last few months and I still miss her badly.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Rusty shackleford said:

All my cats are inbread and every once and a while have a few extra toes and act kinda derpy

My Mom and Dad had about 20 of those that lived under the deck at one point! Mom fed them, they never caught a mouse.

Saw a 'Bengal' kitten on the list this week, asking price, $1100!

• Haha 1