Cold weather forge project

Sledgehammer

Cold days are good for forging. Cold days that I’m not at work or busy are even better. Decided to take on a project I have wanted to mess with for a while. The Chevron or Wheat twist is a semi-decorative way of twisting bars together to make a pattern. In this case, the product looks like a head of wheat or chevron when completed. These two will be fire poker handles since I want one and I am making one for a gift to someone who kindly gifted me something. I’ve never done one before and am not done currently so here it goes...

Started with 4 pieces of 1/4” round stock cut at 16” long. Any excess can be trimmed later. Fold in half.  2 pieces will make one handle. I decided to work on both at the same time to save a little on propane cost.  The forge is a thirsty beast. 

576F08F5-C7F5-40EF-A7E8-4911FEF2E917.jpeg

64105801-7E1C-433E-A049-1BC8EE4D9F5D.jpeg

Using the striking anvil with vise for holding things. The second pic has the temp in it at that time inside the forge.  Third pic shows something you can’t afford to forget. A pair of safety glasses and gloves are pretty much a must.

B848E06E-EA6B-4C76-B6B6-89E0AC35BE31.jpeg

652A29F6-F5B2-4338-BE5A-A2D22D5ACEFD.jpeg

FD0F18BB-2724-4DB7-A858-CC1632B91719.jpeg

Heat up and twist one piece clockwise. Twist the other piece the same amount of turns counter clockwise. Then, forge weld or mig weld the ends together. Either way will work. Just depends whether you want faster or more authenticity. I actually tacked these together and then forge welded the rest of the way.  

Next will be to draw out the ends. One end will see a handle forge welded to it and the other I will draw out and make into a ring hook to hang it up. 

975D42C1-C988-4380-A47F-E7249C2AED5A.jpeg

B91BDF7F-189D-41C7-9B98-3B4E33CA42F2.jpeg

I see better with the last pics, you turn one SET then the other SET, then weld  together, two make one then you finish, is that a 100# bottle you use? Are you going to paint for a final finish? Do any of this type of job ever go chrome or brass finish? Looks good.

12 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

I see better with the last pics, you turn one SET then the other SET, then weld  together, two make one then you finish, is that a 100# bottle you use? Are you going to paint for a final finish? Do any of this type of job ever go chrome or brass finish? Looks good.

100# bottle runs the forge for 8hrs. Natural finish with oil. Protects and looks natural. Maybe Johnson’s paste wax finish for some shine. Never done any chrome or brass. Like it natural in this case. 

The handle twist does have the look of a head of wheat. Little better pic. 

Still have another handle ready to go.  Pulled off of two at a time to pay attention to forge welds and some of the more detailed aspects. Ended up at 31” long which is plenty long but should still work. Maybe keep a guy from burning his whiskers off stoking a hot fire?  

Now I guess I need a fire place.... talk about getting the cart ahead of the horse...😊

EA6F8339-8FF1-40AD-972B-A20764410F91.jpeg

1 hour ago, Sledgehammer said:

The handle twist does have the look of a head of wheat. Little better pic. 

Still have another handle ready to go.  Pulled off of two at a time to pay attention to forge welds and some of the more detailed aspects. Ended up at 31” long which is plenty long but should still work. Maybe keep a guy from burning his whiskers off stoking a hot fire?  

Now I guess I need a fire place.... talk about getting the cart ahead of the horse...😊

EA6F8339-8FF1-40AD-972B-A20764410F91.jpeg

Seeing your toes in this pick reminds me of the Mr Deeds adam Sandler movie when they stick that fire poker in his foot lol

Turned out great Todd!! 
I use a piece of 1/2 rebar about 5’ long for my poker. Sometimes it’s too short, I have a wagon rod that came off of an wagon of grandpa’s, it pulled the wood sides tight to the end gate. I think that will be my next poker.

That poker is great.

My BIL made this for his pizza.

You got fire, he has the pizza so who is brewing the beer?

image.thumb.png.a54dd64867ec74cf706549c002e9a7f4.png

Archived