My county is banned from using enlist.

acem

So my county is banned from using enlist. This sucks.

My neighbors will have to go back to using dicamba... dicamba drift is much more dangerous here. We have vineyards and orchards about 5 miles from the bottomland where soybeans are grown. Im very concerned...

Maybe I should just go back to cultivating...

Thx-Ace 

5 hours ago, acem said:

So my county is banned from using enlist. This sucks.

My neighbors will have to go back to using dicamba... dicamba drift is much more dangerous here. We have vineyards and orchards about 5 miles from the bottomland where soybeans are grown. Im very concerned...

Maybe I should just go back to cultivating...

Thx-Ace 

Dicamba is only legal to apply here in NY until June 30 which makes it quite ineffective when most of the spray season post emergence is July and sometimes into August.  It would not surprise me if Enlist undergoes a similar fate or is more restricted.  I think at some point Dicamba will become entirely illegal here.  Probably wind up going back to pre-emergence products such as Dual/Sencor-Metribuzin.  It was said that the chemical companies were under pressure to get rid of those because the soil residual was to the point where it was entering the ground water hence Roundup Ready.  It would not surprise me that it will come down to cultivation or give up.  

7 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

Just use Liberty. No way on earth I would be spraying dicamba. Liberty worked good for us, but we’re using Enlist now. 

Can't get it. Been a problem for over a year now. Its worse than getting roundup

2 hours ago, 766 Man said:

Dicamba is only legal to apply here in NY until June 30 which makes it quite ineffective when most of the spray season post emergence is July and sometimes into August.  It would not surprise me if Enlist undergoes a similar fate or is more restricted.  I think at some point Dicamba will become entirely illegal here.  Probably wind up going back to pre-emergence products such as Dual/Sencor-Metribuzin.  It was said that the chemical companies were under pressure to get rid of those because the soil residual was to the point where it was entering the ground water hence Roundup Ready.  It would not surprise me that it will come down to cultivation or give up.  

Having to cultivate beans around here would end raising beans in our area. Cultivator would root up all the rocks that we have pushed down into the ground with our packers and rollers during planting and you couldn't run the head in float to get all the beans for all the rocks on top.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Michigan No Till said:

766 man, is spot on, pre plant residuals.

Cleaned up the weed mess on my Bean acres, 3 pre program.

Last spring, dual 2 Magnum, metribuzin, sharpen, glyphosate, methylated seed oil and spray grade AMS.

Post application was dual, gly, and liberty, and.

Clean beans.

Pretty much our spray program but we use Zidua pro.

44 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

Having to cultivate beans around here would end raising beans in our area. Cultivator would root up all the rocks that we have pushed down into the ground with our packers and rollers during planting and you couldn't run the head in float to get all the beans for all the rocks on top.

It's funny now or ironic that someone complains about rocks in beans,I never gave a thought to how many don't pick rocks in soybeans untill now.I know that rock picking beans on thousands of acres is impossible but as a kid in eastern Pennsylvania in the 70's ,we and I mostly picked rocks in beans.We raised couple hundred acres of beans every year,some fields had rocks,parts of fields,big rocks and little. In beans rocks were picked if they were fist sized or bigger.I would harrow the fields with a 12 ' spring tooth harrow pulled with the old M with a loader on front. Drive till I seen a family of stones start picking.The woods at the ends would be dumping ground. You had to think when you pulled in, because there was no backing up hardly at all with that old drag harrow, just kinda maneuvered your way forward and out.I even did the majority of combining as a teenager so if I broke a blade dad didn't holler I just fixed it.But no till has eliminated that rock picking in  beans and that's one thing I wouldn't want to start again. It was the job regulated to the lowest man or boy on the totem pole.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jacka said:

It's funny now or ironic that someone complains about rocks in beans,I never gave a thought to how many don't pick rocks in soybeans untill now.I know that rock picking beans on thousands of acres is impossible but as a kid in eastern Pennsylvania in the 70's ,we and I mostly picked rocks in beans.We raised couple hundred acres of beans every year,some fields had rocks,parts of fields,big rocks and little. In beans rocks were picked if they were fist sized or bigger.I would harrow the fields with a 12 ' spring tooth harrow pulled with the old M with a loader on front. Drive till I seen a family of stones start picking.The woods at the ends would be dumping ground. You had to think when you pulled in, because there was no backing up hardly at all with that old drag harrow, just kinda maneuvered your way forward and out.I even did the majority of combining as a teenager so if I broke a blade dad didn't holler I just fixed it.But no till has eliminated that rock picking in  beans and that's one thing I wouldn't want to start again. It was the job regulated to the lowest man or boy on the totem pole.

If we we picked every rock from fist size up. That would be the rest of our lives on the ground we own. Not counting the rented ground. We pick the bigger rocks and stamp down the smaller rocks. The small rocks can do damage too but rolling the field takes care of that. Everyone rolls their bean fields around here.

And yes. Rock picking is the most hated job on this place. Bar none. Most other jobs when you get done you can tell you made a difference. Rock picking here you know that as soon as you stir some dirt again. You can't hardly tell where you picked. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Michigan No Till said:

Same here Reichow 7120, reason I no till.

I'm trying to get my custom spray man to use prowl H2O this spring with sulftrazone and metribuzin.

Any experience with the Yellows?

Does Treflan, Sonalan and prowl stain the sprayer up bad?

Have read about prowl and bean stem cracking?

I use Teflan in my pre program, I spray it with nozzles on my field cultivator.  The dust and spray builds up a yellow glob of goo on everything but after 3 years it has always come off with the pressure washer after spring dirt work.

2 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

Can't get it. Been a problem for over a year now. Its worse than getting roundup

I sprayed some last summer. It was higher priced, but I could have gotten more of if I wanted it. It was more expensive compared to Enlist was the reason I wasn’t using much.

If you don’t no till here, all the top soil will be at the bottom of the river. It’s funny how the NRCS “police” will show up if your land is out of compliance for erosion control and then they ban chemicals that will almost force you back to some kind of tillage program. There are many hill farms here that were completely destroyed from tillage programs from the 1950s-1970s. 

No rocks here, just 20 to 50 feet of mostly black clay that washed in from the great plains. Very low, wet and muddy.

Liberty is not available...

I can handle my weeds. It's my neighbors that are the problem. They will switch to dicamba and I will get drift damage like before unless I switch too. We all shifted to enlist last year and it was great. Now...

My place is closest to the vineyards, about 5 miles. If I spray dicamba I expect I will get blamed even though my neighbors are the ones who use banvil on 100F days...

Thx-Ace 

Dicamba should be banned, not enlist!!! If enlist gets banned in my area, we will be done growing beans! 
It amazes me how many neighbors around us brag about how their farm doesn’t have water hemp, until July when the water hemp is 3 feet taller than their beans, then they don’t talk about it! And we are down wind of one of those guys, so we are screwed if enlist goes away!! 

Banning the use of these chemicals, especially in those states where the cidiots control the legislature, is just an attempt to get every farmer to go organic, fertilizer will come under fire at some point.

Oh,  wait, it already has, a few years ago, the "experts" from the Associated Press, did a study, and put the blame on the weed population along the creeks and ditches on fertilizer contained in the run off from the adjacent fields.

https://apnews.com/article/mi-state-wire-id-state-wire-algae-or-state-wire-ut-state-wire-75bf271825224ccf909271b4c7575f5f

"AP Explains", which shows us the arrogance and stupidity that these self-annointed "Experts on Everything", have.  Although they think they are "experts", reality shows us that they are "Knowledgeable About NOTHING"

AP Explains: Farm runoff and the worsening algae plague

And we have all heard about the YUGE 'red' (NOT wet) spot that appears off the mouth of the Mississippi River, that is blamed on the overuse of fertilizer.

https://www.venicegov.com/residents/red-tide-fact-sheet#:~:text=Data from Mote has suggested,ponds and ultimately the Gulf.

Data from Mote has suggested that nutrients that runoff the land into the sea may contribute to red tide. These nutrients can include natural (animal waste) and human-contributed (fertilizer) sources. These sources can runoff in stormwater into storm drains, rivers, and ponds and ultimately the Gulf. These nutrients can serve as “food” for Karenia brevis algae and contribute to red tide blooms once the algae are close to shore.   

Just one more reason to be extremely wary of vehicles with out of state/out of area plates, when they show up in your area, especially if they are on the backroads.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, catman13 said:

no body mentions all of the fertilizers them dumb city people dump on their lawns, just easier to blame the out numbered farmers

City people fertilizing lawns should have to attend the same chemical classes we do to keep our spray licenses. The custom lawn care guys are in the class , I see them every time I go for my renew. In Ohio we have The Lake Erie Bill Of Rights. That gives the city of Toledo the right to litigate anybody...ANYBODY ..... whose water drains to the western basin. That’s most of northern Ohio. Farm Bureau is of course on top of this, but just goes to show what environmentalist whackos can accomplish when left unsupervised.

• Like 2

I was disappointed when my chemical guy told me getting Liberty was a problem. I had been using a Liberty/Roundup mixture for years. Combined with the the pre-emerge program the only thing down the rows was dirt and a few cottontails looking for food. I live on a hard surface road and I shouldn't have let him hang those Liberty signs on my fence all these years. Cooked my own goose.

2 hours ago, cjf711 said:

https://www.dtnpf.com/agriculture/web/ag/crops/article/2021/11/10/dicamba-resistant-waterhemp-illinois

Going to have problems when everyone wants to do the exact same thing as a cure.

Lets remember that Dicamba has been around as the feature ingredient in Banvel which has been available for nearly four decades.  It took not as long for Trizine resistant weeds to appear after Atrazine hit the market.  As I said earlier groundwater issues were one of the drivers to produce Roundup Ready technology but Trizine resistant weeds is a close number two.  Funny with all the stink over Dicamba here not much has been said about Banvel but it is still fairly early in the game at this point in time.

I’ve been using Dual & Sonic as a pre for a couple years now, followed with Liberty and Select as a post.  Last year I added Enlist and Outlook to the post. I also went to 20” beans. Cleanest beans I’ve had in several years. With the 20” beans I added Delaro fungicide to the post mix and came back later with fungicide near the end of July. Had a disaster a couple years ago with white mold. 

Trivence, Dual II Magnum, glyphosate, AMS- Pre

Enlist- post

Cereal Rye and then burned it down with Sharpen and Glyphosate.  1 post of Liberty and it stayed clean on my beans last year.