Duals for my IH 1066

The offset (where the center is mounted in the dual rim) will determine how much space you will have between the primary and dual tires.  A positive offset (center extends out past the bead of the tire) will allow more space between your tires.  This will allow more of the hub to slide onto the axle without the tires touching each other.   The style of the hub: wedgelock, 2, 3 or 4 U bolt style will determine how the hub must be installed on the axle.  Take some measurements of your axle and tire clearance before you go shopping for hubs and dual rims.  You should find something that will work for you.   Good luck!

I happen to find a picture of this 1066.. the dual hubs are far in the axle same tire size 18.4.38. I figured if it's My 1066. I figured i should be able to mount the hubs and 9 bolt duals especially the offset of the outside rim sticks outside of the tires. I'd like to get some views and opinions. See what's possible.

20220121_131231.jpg

2 hours ago, Solocam8925 said:

9 bolt duals and hubs. I happen to order my hubs from SD and I found some nice john deere 9bolt duals 18-4-38. 

I assume you don't have the sockets yet.

There isn't just one set of hubs so bolt head sizes can be different. You're best off waiting until the hubs show up and then get the sockets, or get a whole set.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

I assume you don't have the sockets yet.

There isn't just one set of hubs so bolt head sizes can be different. You're best off waiting until the hubs show up and then get the sockets, or get a whole set.

No. But am buying a Milwaukee high impact gun, and a 50 inch 600+lbs torque wrench. Got a 20ton jack. I'll use logs to bring it up to fit the duals. 

36 minutes ago, Solocam8925 said:

No. But am buying a Milwaukee high impact gun, and a 50 inch 600+lbs torque wrench. Got a 20ton jack. I'll use logs to bring it up to fit the duals. 

Impact wrenches and torque wrenches are good tools to have, but they aren’t really necessary for this install. They make it easier for sure, but that’s going to be some $$$ just for bolting the hubs on. 

Factory dual hubs use 1 5/16 sockets. The lug bolts are normally 15/16 but I have some 7/8. Aftermarket hubs may be different.

A strong cordless impact may strip the threads on the lug bolts. Be careful.

I like duals mounted at the end of long axles. I can run them in 36 in rows and they shed mud great!

Thx-Ace 

• Like 1

Just now, acem said:

Factory dual hubs use 1 5/16 sockets. The lug bolts are normally 15/16 but I have some 7/8. Aftermarket hubs may be different.

A strong cordless impact may strip the threads on the lug bolts. Be careful.

I like duals mounted at the end of long axles. I can run them in 36 in rows and they shed mud great!

Thx-Ace 

Only if they are 10 bolt are they 1 5/16 . Nine bolt hubs use smaller lug bolts by a ways 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Solocam8925 said:

Here's a picture of my 1066. Is it possible to mount the hubs and duals with the axle bar at this length

IMG_20211006_152134012_HDR.jpg

It doesn't look like there is alot of axle there but may be enough to mount hubs. But depending on the dish of the dual you might have to move your wheels in to make room. 

3 hours ago, hippy5488 said:

if the dual fits on axle all the way dont really have to worry about dish in daul rim. they make all kinds of different length 9 bolt 

Thanks. I have a little more confidence mounting the hubs and duals with no regrets. My 1066 has the rings on the rim for the rods to fit for rim duals.  But it's even harder to find decent rim duals with good tires compared to hub duals..

7 hours ago, tractorholic said:

It doesn't look like there is alot of axle there but may be enough to mount hubs. But depending on the dish of the dual you might have to move your wheels in to make room. 

These are the actual wheels I'm Shipping. They stick out. I'm guessing couple inches between both sides of the tires..12535556_1.jpg.5b5a8702de9446801d1ed51c4933634a.jpg

• Like 4