Found some nostalgia.

DT Fan

Since Mom's passing I've been working on cleaning out her apartment, this is a rather daunting task! I found this newspaper clipping, from 1964 My Grandfather, sitting on his WD when it was only 12 years old! He would have been 55 at the time, same age as me now, weird. I think you will be able to read the print, hopefully. Anyway, it talks about planting a couple of acres of trees. Those are the pine trees that I remember in my earliest recollections. They just have always been there as long as I've been here. When I was young, Dad would cut a small one for a Christmas tree.

Grandpa.jpg

• Like 16

9 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Let's make it a party!  

Not to hijack the post, but us forum members should have, stop in anytime parties!! Of course they would have to be more of a scheduled event, but show your place, and toys, fire up the grill, have a few adult beverages, and lots of IH bs!!! I’d travel to Iowa to meet some of you’s guys! I’d travel a few states if time allowed!! 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

Not to hijack the post, but us forum members should have, stop in anytime parties!! Of course they would have to be more of a scheduled event, but show your place, and toys, fire up the grill, have a few adult beverages, and lots of IH bs!!! I’d travel to Iowa to meet some of you’s guys! I’d travel a few states if time allowed!! 

That's a great idea! I basically have an open door policy for any of you guys. If you're near the 159 on I-80, give me a shout. If I'm not out-of-town, (not that common) or at work, tours on.

• Like 3

The most humbling part of going through your parents papers and possessions after their passing is that YOU are seeing what THEY considered some of the most treasured and important pieces of not only their lives, but of their parents lives, and so on down the line.

This is why you can NEVER ask enough questions about their memories while they are there to answer.

I sincerely regret NOT asking my Mom about her family history, and I am constantly amazed at the differences between what my Dad told me, and what my cousin's Dad told him (and I imagine his brothers and sister, would have some different memories of the same facts).

Even my sister's memories of life at "good ol' DHS" is 180 degrees different from the H3LL I remember it being.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1