Tires for Ram Dually

TriStripe1086

1 minute ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

You guys that put a lot of miles on crushed rock roads don't stand a chance at getting a lot of miles on truck tires.  I got 127,000 miles on four Firestone WILDERNESS AT's,  all highway miles, 255R85-16. They still had 3/16inch of tread left but winter was coming and I had one or two tires getting out of balance and didn't want to pay to have all 4 balanced.  They did have pretty good traction on snow.

And I'm not a fan of tire rotation. These guys that rotate tires every oil change are just wearing their tires out faster.  I ONLY rotate front to back so the tires always rotate the same direction.  NEVER rotate side-to-side, the tires run "BACKWARDS" that way.  In those 127,000 miles I rotated tires only 3 times,  when I could measure an 1/8th inch difference in tread depth frt to back I'd rotate tires frt to back.  The rear tires actually seemed to wear faster than the fronts.

Your rear tires get more torque than steers, you need to rotate and change direction as tires develop heel to toe wear from torque and changing direction helps to curb some of it and extend tire life.

Just an aside to those of us running dually's all winter; cause of the nature of dually's and not always having much if anything in the bed, no tire of any makeup is going to perform well on the backside on snow, ice, compact snow/ice,  @ 28-32 deg. You got two choices to get traction. Haul 1,000 pounds of concrete or rocks around all winter or get used to slapping on a set of chains. And even with chains, in deep snow even they are a bit high on leaving you short in the traction dept side of things. Been there done that, ran out of fingers and toes. Is it spring yet? 

• Like 1

Last Transforce ATs I ran only got 45,000 miles.  They used to do better.

Last 2 sets for me have been Continentals on my 3/4 at work.  Very happy with them, but they are unavailable at the moment, or I'd buy another set right now.

Does anyone else run Nokian Tyres??

And I did not misspell tire!!

Must be a Norwegian thing.

I'm so impressed with them, bought a used set of rims and run their winter only rubber when the temps drop and the snow starts here in Michigan.

In the spring the winter tires come off and their all seasons go back on.

22 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Everyone and their brother around here has Goodyear DuraTrac , I put a set on my utility truck and it is the LAST set i will ever own, they are wretched, i put tire chains on 6-8 times a year with them when before I would sometimes not use chains for years at a time, they look like the old dunlop radial rovers, but they sure don’t perform like them.  

I got a set that came on my ZR2 from the factory and want to get some thing more aggressive I have to run a lot of muddy roads up north.

But I think the DuraTracs are gonna go 75K I am at 50K and and they still have 1/2 the tread.

49 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

I got a set that came on my ZR2 from the factory and want to get some thing more aggressive I have to run a lot of muddy roads up north.

But I think the DuraTracs are gonna go 75K I am at 50K and and they still have 1/2 the tread.

They are HARD, if they had a softer compound they would have something. My next set of summers for my wife’s car will be Cooper Rugged Trek, i run Hakkapalita in the winter. Ive been pulling them off her car at about 50% and selling them, ive found them to be worth a little more than half at half wear, and then she’s always got something good on, my own i tend to run to the wear bars.

https://coopertire.com/en-us/find-tires/all-tires/discoverer-rugged-trek

3 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

Those look nice another Goodyear product now 

I want to bump up one size in height I think choices might be limited  

Go 10 ply, whatever you do. 

43 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Go 10 ply, whatever you do. 

Its got P265/65R17 on it now I want a 255/75R17 when I replace

That is taller and narrower that will make it better in the deep snow and I should be able to run down the muddy roads with out getting covered in mud  

Holy cow I wish I could get the miles out of my tires like some of you. I've never had a set last more than 40k and I drive with a light foot. Gravel just eats tires up. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, ZG6E said:

Holy cow I wish I could get the miles out of my tires like some of you. I've never had a set last more than 40k and I drive with a light foot. Gravel just eats tires up. 

I honestly don’t know how many miles i get out of tires, I know some seem to wear fast, some slow, but i switch to winters for my wife's car and my pickup so it all gets lost in the shuffle, the utility truck and the van get them when they need them, it is more important to have the right tire than worry about getting 5k more out of them. I think it is like diesel fuel economy and fish stories, they get bigger every time. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Michigan No Till said:

Does anyone else run Nokian Tyres??

And I did not misspell tire!!

Must be a Norwegian thing.

I'm so impressed with them, bought a used set of rims and run their winter only rubber when the temps drop and the snow starts here in Michigan.

In the spring the winter tires come off and their all seasons go back on.

Never run them but they are popular here for passenger winter tires. Never really noticed much in the LT, but probably are too.

I change enough tires here the last thing I want to do is change winter and summer tires. I run all seasons that are snow rated and have had good luck. I hate to say it but the best tires so far I've got are made in China. For the price and how well they have performed for me it would be pretty hard to get me to switch

On 1/29/2022 at 5:39 AM, ZG6E said:

Yeah me to.  All these hard tires going many thousands of miles, it would never happen here.  Last pair of “Hard” tires I had I got out of the truck at the church, slammed the door and watched my truck slide down the hill and into the ditch, sigh

Currently have a set of Yokohama Geolanders on the Tacoma.  Not great for cold weather and ice so I won’t buy another set.

The Michelin on the diesel are at 45k and done(past the wear bars by a few years), then the flatbed has 6 that are mismatched and suspect, and the RV has the same set from 2002.  Guess we are buying tires this summer

After having owned 5 Cummins dually pickups and trying lots of tires I settled on Michelin LTX tires.  Long wearing and better handling while towing heavy loads.than the other tires I have tried.  More expensive but considering that I have been getting lots more tread life its well worth the extra cost to me. 

19.5s i would get 20,000 out of a set on my old pickup....

ive put 45000 on these and ill put at least 20k more. On but the best part is I went from one flat a month to zero all summer