Farm land and fish

806 man

Are there other agriculture areas which do this kind of stuff?

Seems to be a consensus at a high level the fish can't survive without farmland, Not sure how a man made ditch qualifies as fish habitat but whatever. So I fired up google earth today and measured all the ditches on my property and rented ground. I have 164,076 lineal feet X 150' (which is a minimum buffer) 565 acres of farm ground. Just under $7M valuation. No plans to pay for it, mentioned a $10,000/day penalty per field if you don't follow the kings orders. Would have to pay 30% of planting cost, would get paid a small amount to maintain the acres for 5 years then nothing,  Thinking of this as a going out of business proposal. What more could a guy want at age 65 but to give your property away.

Here is the measured mark out of Drainage District ditches on land i farm. 164,000  LF x 150’ 

14787287-D8FD-4185-9D96-6735DFCF3E6E.jpeg

• Confused 3
  • Sad 3

I'm a Board Member of the "Eaton Conservation District", Eaton County, Charlotte Michigan, DNR information for Michigan shows most folks Residing in Michigan are a with in 3 miles of a body of Water. Creek, Pond, River, Gravel pit, Lake, 99% of these Bodies of water have "Fish" living & surviving in the Water.

Was the 160-year-old DNR Information the Result of Michigan Great Lakes Inquiry, By the residents in Michigan??

Local County Drain Commision, DNR & Great Lakes Commission Departments Maps are Full of 150-year-old, Drawings of Farm Drains & Ponds.

Perhaps some Agricultural communities have had this information available, and we took it for granted.

Jim Droscha

• Like 1

I feel like I've missed something here.... Are you saying that the Gov't is mandating that you make fish habitat on your farm? If so, why? Something about this is a bit "fishy" (see what I did there? 🤣) Please share some details if you can, because I have some "ditches" too and don't want to have to make fish ponds out of them!

Mac

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DT Fan said:

Fish can not survive without farmland is a ridiculous statement. There were fish here (and in much greater numbers) long before we started farming!

I'm a bit confused but reading between the lines think he is talking gov mandated buffer strips along water ways? I agree a man made ditch shouldn't qualify, imo, as fish habitat. Tho if it does drain into a natural waterway pollution of natural waterway Is a concern i suppose. But whose definition of pollution are we gonna use? Is it truly harmful and by whose definition is it harmful.  Ask most of us and our personal thoughts on pollution are probably way different than say someone with no connection to the land and no clue on what it takes to make a living and grow food.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

man made ditch shouldn't qualify, imo, as fish habitat.

I have a man made retention pond on my property.

It is more like a swap or bog was made about 150 years ago for water storage for a mill that was powered by a water wheel.

Its considered a wet land now and the set back requirements on it are 150 feet must be left natural in the 150 foot zone.

BTW the mill burned down 125 years ago 

• Sad 2

I've been working with the creek police. If you take government money for projects here you must fence out or buffer stream/wet lands by 30 ft.  I said we are under 30ft at some places but close.  They said they don't think anyone will be out here with a tape measure to split hairs.  150ft on a ditch is rediculous.

With the current state of uncertainty we don't need to be squeezing agriculture, transportation, or manufacturing.

13 hours ago, 806 man said:

I have 164,076 lineal feet X 150' (which is a minimum buffer)

So is it 150' on each side? That seems like an awful lot. Or is it 150' total, like 75' on each side, measured from the center of the water way? That sounds a lot closer to normal.

19 hours ago, 806 man said:

Are there other agriculture areas which do this kind of stuff?

Seems to be a consensus at a high level the fish can't survive without farmland, Not sure how a man made ditch qualifies as fish habitat but whatever. So I fired up google earth today and measured all the ditches on my property and rented ground. I have 164,076 lineal feet X 150' (which is a minimum buffer) 565 acres of farm ground. Just under $7M valuation. No plans to pay for it, mentioned a $10,000/day penalty per field if you don't follow the kings orders. Would have to pay 30% of planting cost, would get paid a small amount to maintain the acres for 5 years then nothing,  Thinking of this as a going out of business proposal. What more could a guy want at age 65 but to give your property away.

It's a great big slap in the face and  udderly disheartening if it passes !

7 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I'm a bit confused but reading between the lines think he is talking gov mandated buffer strips along water ways? I agree a man made ditch shouldn't qualify, imo, as fish habitat. Tho if it does drain into a natural waterway pollution of natural waterway Is a concern i suppose. But whose definition of pollution are we gonna use? Is it truly harmful and by whose definition is it harmful.  Ask most of us and our personal thoughts on pollution are probably way different than say someone with no connection to the land and no clue on what it takes to make a living and grow food.

I probably didn't read this enough. Some of these phrases I read just blow my mind. This was one of those!

Here in washington state looks like 30' buffer each side of a creek don't know about drainage ditches, planting what looks like willows. Small farm with less than 30 head of cows the buffer was fenced off.

2 hours ago, Jess_656D said:

Here in washington state looks like 30' buffer each side of a creek don't know about drainage ditches, planting what looks like willows. Small farm with less than 30 head of cows the buffer was fenced off.

It's going to go buy soil types some of my fields will be a 100ft buffer and some will be 225ft and a sovereign nation will be put in charge of the whole thing it's a land grab no compensation and we have to pay 30 percent of the planting of native trees and brush ! 

14 hours ago, MacAR said:

I feel like I've missed something here.... Are you saying that the Gov't is mandating that you make fish habitat on your farm? If so, why? Something about this is a bit "fishy" (see what I did there? 🤣) Please share some details if you can, because I have some "ditches" too and don't want to have to make fish ponds out of them!

Mac

I'm trying not to make this a political thing . Just the State I live in.

9 hours ago, gearheadmb said:

So is it 150' on each side? That seems like an awful lot. Or is it 150' total, like 75' on each side, measured from the center of the water way? That sounds a lot closer to normal.

If I farm both sides of the ditch then 300' I have several fields like this. Most ditches are 8-10' wide unless the ducks grub all winter then they can be 20' wide and filled in.

3 hours ago, DT Fan said:

I probably didn't read this enough. Some of these phrases I read just blow my mind. This was one of those!

Drains to salt water. when it rains the water has turbidity. This entire valley (farms, homes,business's cities are built on turbidity. The river transports 8-10 million ton a year of turbidity to the bay. Turbidity is what builds salmon habitat. River turbidity good. Farm turbidity bad. See now it's political

3 hours ago, Jess_656D said:

I'm north of you

7 hours ago, 806 man said:

I'm trying not to make this a political thing . Just the State I live in.

Not wanting to get political either. I just looked and saw that you live in Washington. Tells me all I need to know. Have a lot of family out in Wenatchee that wish they could come home. 

Mac

4 hours ago, Ian Beale said:

Interesting how the fcing FEDS have taken EVERYTHING west of the Mississippi "out of service"

Not only is this the goal of the Waters of the United States program, BUT it is also the "Popper Plan" on steroids.

AND, every cidiot, radical environmentalist, MEDIA 'personality', Hollyweird actor/actress, local tourist bureaus, and those who think that their food comes from "THE STORE" are fully supportive of this.

Remember the above when out-of-state license plates start appearing in your locality.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2022 at 1:30 PM, jeeper61 said:

I have a man made retention pond on my property.

It is more like a swap or bog was made about 150 years ago for water storage for a mill that was powered by a water wheel.

Its considered a wet land now and the set back requirements on it are 150 feet must be left natural in the 150 foot zone.

BTW the mill burned down 125 years ago 

there is a saw mill near me that has been there 170 years, it has a mill pond where they stored pine logs in the summer 40 years ago the gov. said you can't put logs in the pond any more, Now when I was a young boy mill ponds was the best place to catch broke trout , the logs kept the water cold by keeping the sunlight out and the logs was loaded with bugs that fed the trout now you can't find a fish bigger than a Mino and kids don't fish any more. we are going backwards 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1