64 years old TD14 dozer still pulling the Giant logs. Unbelievable......

Several giant digger pine trees that I needed to cut down due to the tilt.

It could fall down very soon and be dangerous to our family.

I have had this dozer for more than 15 years and cleared my 80 acres property.

This is a 1958 International Harvester TD 14 142 Series. It is 64 years old and made in the USA.

This is probably my last mission with this dozer in my life.

Sooo,, Sad...ūüėĘūüėĘūüėĘ

• Like 2

142 the last and best of the 14's, exhaust looks nice and clear, runs great, love the period correct era styling, why the last time?

You would have some good firewood there or cut for lumber, have you tried pulling with the hitch? Which way was easier?

• Haha 1

I am so glad you are still in here  Hardtail...

I am getting old and no longer need this big toy in my property.

Other young man who has some acreage near by needs this dozer.

So I will let him take care it.

The rear hitch never been working and never tried to fix it ūü§£ūü§£ūü§£

• Like 1

My 80 year old TD-14, the one that has plowed my 1/2 mile steep driveway for the last 20 years has allowed me to live in the mountains all those years.

Vic

• Like 3

Glad both of you were temporary guardians of these wonderful now historic machines, proof using them can be much kinder, I'm sure it will be sad to see leave, hopefully to another appreciative owner¬†ūüė䬆Jkk I do remember you and your 14 from years ago, what state do you live in, almost looks like CA?

Hello, Thebunns.
Would you please share some pictures or video for your 80 years old TD14?
I am very interested to see your very old toy which is older than meūüėāūüėā

Hi, Hardtail

I have lived in Northern CA near Sacramento for more than 40 years.

Now I just enjoy living in the country and doing small gardening.

I remember you are living in Albert, Canada.

There was so much rain last month that it caused a big flood.
Is everything ok with you?

Just living the dream up here in our frozen wonderland going to -30C again tonight...lol

8 hours ago, jkk04 said:
Hello, Thebunns.
Would you please share some pictures or video for your 80 years old TD14?
I am very interested to see your very old toy which is older than meūüėāūüėā

Here are a couple of shots I took this afternoon on my way to plow out a shed that stores equipment.

Vic

322.JPG

323.JPG

324.JPG

• Like 6

OMG..

It looks much newer than mine but smaller . ūüėäūüėä

I'm sure you have done really well maintenance on it.
Also, a lot of snow in the pictures makes me remember my childhood in S. Korea.
Thank you for sharing.
Jkk

If one of my employees hitched on to a tree that large and pulled in reverse, I would fire them on the spot.

It is really bad time to fire me Boss.ūü§£ūü§£

I could¬†get a lot more money than you paid me from the Dem government.ūüėčūüėč

It caused whole country economic collapse as you have seen now,¬†ūüėíūüėí

22.thumb.jpg.32829a8b8959188b591625cd8b886d92.jpg
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, supermechanic said:

If one of my employees hitched on to a tree that large and pulled in reverse, I would fire them on the spot.

That seems a bit harsh, unless they had been told specifically not to do it.... perhaps a "teaching opportunity" instead ?? 

• Haha 1

I had a bit of a deal getting them to track the excavators the correct way until I solved it by installing a small strobe on the dash, it is connected to the reverse alarm.

Seams like pushing the sticks away from you to travel forward was not intuitive enough.

• Thanks 1

Not many months back a good video on track ware showed up on Antique Caterpillar Owners Club site. I forget all the whys and where for but going in reverse causes much more track ware than going forward. The faster you go in reverse also increases ware.

They had slow motion video and as it was explained you could see the sprocket tooth in contact with the bushing longer in reverse. So the tractor was built with a drawbar on the back use it for towing things, it was made for it. Spreads the load around the frame better than the blade.

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2022 at 9:00 AM, jkk04 said:

If one of my employees hitched on to a tree that large and pulled in reverse, I would fire them on the spot.

It is really bad time to fire me Boss.ūü§£ūü§£

I could¬†get a lot more money than you paid me from the Dem government.ūüėčūüėč

It caused whole country economic collapse as you have seen now,¬†ūüėíūüėí

22.thumb.jpg.32829a8b8959188b591625cd8b886d92.jpg

Seriously, don't ruin what works.

reverse is designed to maneuver the dozer into position for the next push.

pulling backwards kills the idlers, track adjusters, puts undue strain on the track chains and is avoidable.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, supermechanic said:

Seriously, don't ruin what works.

reverse is designed to maneuver the dozer into position for the next push.

pulling backwards kills the idlers, track adjusters, puts undue strain on the track chains and is avoidable.

I have no knowledge about bulldozers in my life even now.
The reason I bought this toy 15 years ago was that I got some estimates from a local professional land clearing company that I couldn't afford.
I paid a small amount with some problems.
Both side steering clutch is not working well, and the right-side brake is not working properly due to the oil leaking caused by a soak brake pad.
So, it only works left side steering, which is not really convenient.
Also, water gets in the transmission housing when raining.
Therefore, I have to drain the transmission oil after each use during the raining season.
The problems above to repair are beyond my ability.
Of course, I replaced the left side idler, restored the gasoline starting mechanism, and repaired the hydraulic pump yoke and all hoses etc..
Nonetheless, it still pushes the dirt so well and has been used as is for 15 years.
And has cleared my 80 acres of heavy brush and wood property completely.
Now, looking to the person who needs to clear his land like I did.
If I can't find any person then I will keep it forever.
Thank you for your input.
Jkk

2007 my property from google earth view.
56.thumb.jpg.4be2e8f3871b7eacac4ffb4d37ac078a.jpg

2021 view
55.thumb.jpg.10f104e5f3ec6d87682674ad85fc7a50.jpg

idler2.thumb.jpg.ac439ff203f3b27300feb730954e0e9e.jpg
33.thumb.jpg.33507b0c5fe778b2a6a949024d91fd25.jpg
S6300043.thumb.JPG.c99ff0faef0c3290250b14899a3c49b9.JPG
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 3:22 PM, thebunns said:

Here are a couple of shots I took this afternoon on my way to plow out a shed that stores equipment.

Vic

322.JPG

323.JPG

324.JPG

Looks just like my machine I left mine original yellow looks like someone tried to make it red power.

Think most were red and dealers repainted at some point up to this era probably most were A to__2 series, once the B series came out IH yellow was coming out of the factory that way, I have similar 181 series but there is red underneath, prior to A series seems all were red and many stayed that way

37 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Think most were red and dealers repainted at some point up to this era probably most were A to__2 series, once the B series came out IH yellow was coming out of the factory that way, I have similar 181 series but there is red underneath, prior to A series seems all were red and many stayed that way

My dozer's original color is red. 
I thoughtr.thumb.jpg.63cea0c93c68d701ebcee8b1aa5d41e6.jpgw.thumb.jpg.88321dd696606471f22627ba4e54acf4.jpg one of the previous owners repainted it to yellow.
Here are some pictures.
e.thumb.jpg.6aea9c77a6c03f0aa9191a2f05b72299.jpg
r.thumb.jpg.63cea0c93c68d701ebcee8b1aa5d41e6.jpg
w.thumb.jpg.88321dd696606471f22627ba4e54acf4.jpg

• Like 1

IH crawlers all left the factor red until very, very late 1950's maybe even 60, or 61 before yellow from the factory.

Some where trying to fool people into thinking tractor was newer by painting it yellow. Others had had head cracking from not being careful with engine cool down before shutting engine down and called them "Red head cracking junk", so they painted it yellow so not everybody knew it was a IH. As well as other reasons yellow seems the color used on most old crawler.

• Like 2

On 1/21/2022 at 2:11 PM, supermechanic said:

If one of my employees hitched on to a tree that large and pulled in reverse, I would fire them on the spot.

.......we always figured  when backing up ...for another push with the Crawler (s_).......was the only time we ever made money with them ....!!!!!!!

....we are talking    ''earthworks''    , of course...not logging....incidently ..on rootraking , only the long frame crawlers could back up ....short frames had to do

..180 degrees and  drive back up....

...there were many idiosyncratic  operators back in the day..like the bs  of covering the exhaust because of a turbo ...and blokes not wanting their Caterpillars backed off   to a  free fall of 10/12 inches  ..off the back of a low bed....some would avoid   'rippers''   at any cost...possibly justified , anyway....and so on....

Good video of the ol'14  !!!.......albeit  very ''unconventional ''  way of shifting that log.......

Mike 

• Like 2

I am so sad that my dozer is sold today 

But I am happy because a very young farmer bought it and will take care of it very well.

The reason to sell my lovely big toy was because I am losing strong confidence and strength by the age.
 Also, I am afraid to repair the dozer again once it is broken due to the age.
Additionally, I really don't want my toy to go to a graveyard for scrap metal.

I already introduced this club website and recommend joining in.
Hope to help him from you guys here whenever he needs to repair. 

Thank you so much to all members here, especially to Hardtill, Mike newman.
Jkk

Here is the picture of him with a dozer that I had permission to upload.

00.thumb.jpg.9b641a68774e52227961f08f53c4d60e.jpg

• Like 4

That's great, you seemed to jump off the blade ok, you might be more spry that you take credit for

Yes the enthusiastic new owner we shall welcome, armed with hope, happiness and enthusiasm, might be a different look on his face when he comes for help but let's not ruin today...lol

Best of luck JKKūüėä

• Haha 1