Wood planers

mader656

My FIL bought one, he was happy, dad has a Rigid 13” that I have used. Biggest issue i found was that you really need to spend time setting up on and off feed tables or you end up with barrel staves instead of nice flat boards because they taper going in and taper going out. A 12’ board might only have 9 usable feet. They do not take a big cut, but they do work well. 

I had a dewalt and liked it for small projects. Would have like to see what it could do with a helical head. 

Now i have a 15" delta from the 80s..way bigger capacity. Ive done a lot of flooring with this unit.

40 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

My FIL bought one, he was happy, dad has a Rigid 13” that I have used. Biggest issue i found was that you really need to spend time setting up on and off feed tables or you end up with barrel staves instead of nice flat boards because they taper going in and taper going out. A 12’ board might only have 9 usable feet. They do not take a big cut, but they do work well. 

Had one in the middle school shop class when I taught that.  Had the same problem, never could get it resolved.

I think the small portable planers work well for what they are meant for - resizing small stock. I had a Ryobi and later a Dewalt that I was trying to smooth rough sawn oak lumber. Neither one survived. Both failed pretty catastrophically. Thankfully I was able to return them both for refund. I bought a "real" planer. It is an old Delta and probably out-weighs both portables combined a couple times over. No regrets but it isn't portable. 

new is all china and not that great

friend had either delta or dewalt usa...would take full 12" on light cuts

have a blue jet 12" (220) japan early china does well ,father makes alot of toothpicks out of 6-4/4 walnut.....then paints it!!

but first and last 2" ++_ are always off some due to compression/flex,they tell you to count as scrap or precede/exit with scrap (carefully)

better built than this current china

JWP-208-1, 20" 3HP, 1Ph Planer

I have a 12" craftsmen, probably 15 years old. I have put lots of rough ash, oak, pine and birch through it. Light cuts on the full width stuff, but does beautiful work. I usually run the smaller stuff staggered, starting the next piece before the first is out. Planed a bunch of 2x10 ash for FIL bench top and he was happy as a clam. If it failed tomorrow, I wouldnt think badly of it. 

I have a DeWalt from when they first came out back around 2000. I ran a bunch of siding through it to remove the old paint as well as surfacing a lot of smaller wood. When I decided to rebuild my old barn and put an apartment upstairs I bought a grizzly 15 inch planer. I planned a lot of the old barn wood and used it as trim in the apartment. Well the DeWalt was nothing great, it did serve its purpose. That 15-in grizzly was a beast though. That was built in taiwan. I still have it, a grizzly 10 inch left tilting table saw in a 8-in jointer that bought for that project.

I've had a  Dewalt DW735 planer for a number of years and have planed a lot of wood. Works great. 

1 hour ago, JaredT said:

I have a 12" craftsmen, probably 15 years old. I have put lots of rough ash, oak, pine and birch through it. Light cuts on the full width stuff, but does beautiful work. I usually run the smaller stuff staggered, starting the next piece before the first is out. Planed a bunch of 2x10 ash for FIL bench top and he was happy as a clam. If it failed tomorrow, I wouldnt think badly of it. 

Belsaw built? 
That’s what I have- 12” Belsaw capable of doing moulding work. It’s old, looks like crap but works fine for me 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cedar farm said:

I've had a  Dewalt DW735 planer for a number of years and have planed a lot of wood. Works great. 

I also have had a DW735 for several years , it has been a very good machine. Kind of an in between from the typical 12” portable and the big heavy stand alone machines. 

With sharp knives it can handle a 1/16” pass on a foot wide hardwood board without issue. 

A builder we had used a Makita of about 10 or 12 inch capability IIRC.  He had frames for feed in and out to keep the boards level.  Did a lot of 6 x 1 " cypress pine floor boards here and that wasn't its first job.

I have a 15" Grizzly and my buddy has one also. His has a retro fit spiral cutter head and is much easier to change cutters. They are very good machines. You must tune them up when you first get them.

I have a Delta 12", similar to Dewalt- love it!  Put A LOT of boards through it over the years.  Heck of a work horse for a 12" planner.  Be surprised what they will tackle.

• Like 1

Always wanted one but never took the plunge. I only use my Delta table saw about once a year ........

2 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Always wanted one but never took the plunge. I only use my Delta table saw about once a year ........

However,  I bet you wouldn't get rid of it.  May collect dust but when ya need it, its as great as sliced bread.

I have a lot of tools like that, drives my son crazy.  Guess when your tool supply is still growing, its hard to understand those who have a few things that in their eyes never get used a lot, until the day they say "I  need you to cut, or router this...."

• Like 1

when it comes to wood working or machining I like the old stuff it was built to last I have an old monarch 8 x 20 and you need a tractor to move it

I know a lot of guys that have dewalt planers and love them they do a good job

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Mountain Heritage said:

I have a Delta 12", similar to Dewalt- love it!  Put A LOT of boards through it over the years.  Heck of a work horse for a 12" planner.  Be surprised what they will tackle.

I found a 12 inch delta in the scrap pile at work. I dug it out and found the drive pulley was loose and the belt kept running off. So I put a little loctite on it and it works like a champ. Best part was the guy who trashed it walked up after I fixed it and wanted to know why the belt wasn't flying off.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, 885 said:

I found a 12 inch delta in the scrap pile at work. I dug it out and found the drive pulley was loose and the belt kept running off. So I put a little loctite on it and it works like a champ. Best part was the guy who trashed it walked up after I fixed it and wanted to know why the belt wasn't flying off.

It is so dumb what people throw away. My boys and I go to a couple local towns that have scavenger day in the spring. They put stuff out by the street and people have a couple days to look and pick. Then the city comes by and picks everything up that's left. We have got a lot of good stuff thru the years. Good for you!

I've got an old Delta commercial planer. Not portable. Took the tractor and loader to unload it. It is on wheels so it is movable. I wish it had a helical head. But....the helical head alone costs more than I paid for the planer.

Yup ive been looking at the head for mine....1250$ i paid 100$ for the planer.

Yup ive been looking at the head for mine....1250$ i paid 100$ for the planer.

12 hours ago, dads706 said:

I've got an old Delta commercial planer. Not portable. Took the tractor and loader to unload it. It is on wheels so it is movable. I wish it had a helical head. But....the helical head alone costs more than I paid for the planer.

They are great to have, but way more expensive to have blades sharpened too.  Do a great job on that crappy to plain wood.  A lot less chipping out on hard maple too.  They had one in college, it was a beast!  30 or 32 inches wide, sounded like a Hercules when they fired it up with the suction of the dust collector running too 

• Like 1