FLEETGUARD LF3316 Oil Filters

twp460

Son was changing his oil filters on his 1066 today and he told me the oil filter wouldn't go on and the hole was wrong size.  I went to look figuring he was having an issue starting the threads and told him there is no way a 3316 filter could have the wrong hole.  Well this is a first for me, 2 brand new 3316s straight from the dealer last Tuesday have 3/4" threaded holes in them rather that the 1" hole that it should have.

Anyone else ever seen this?

IMG_20220116_151035427.jpg

IMG_20220116_151017420.jpg

IMG_20220116_151044738.jpg

IMG_20220116_151107457.jpg

They look correct to me ,  hold up the old filter  next to a new filter so we can see both

I'm guessing thats what happened.  Oil filter housing on IH 400 series is 1"-12 thread.  

I'm wondering how many cases of these filters got these wrong thread base plates.  

Your right I checked the spec's on them they are " 1 holes Hope that's all they messed up wonder if it even has the paper element inside Those were probably made in mexico I've seen all kinds of inferior parts made or rebulit there

35 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

Your right I checked the spec's on them they are " 1 holes Hope that's all they messed up wonder if it even has the paper element inside Those were probably made in mexico I've seen all kinds of inferior parts made or rebulit there

...still better than NAPA or baldwin.. haha

• Like 2

I just got two cases of them last fall and we installed two last week on a 1566 and they where ok , I better check the rest of them 😳

Danny

I hate that CNH changes their filter part numbers so hap hazardly.  We have only two “newer” tractors (only 13 years old) and I’m certain the numbers have changed 3x.  And I always keep sets on hand, then they get pushed to the back of the shelf, and newer ones set in front that get used first….so then I’ve got sets of mis matched numbers..drives me nuts.  And oh, it’s nice that they make them physically smaller/cheaper (yet charge more) every so often too 

Been my experience that plants from companies in the USA built in Mexico are normally pretty good  on quality. The companies normally train their south of the border employees pretty well, but absenteeism for them is terrible, even worse than in the USA, but I'd still take a "Hecho en Mexico" filter over anything made in China. I'd have to double-check but I have 3-4 Milwaukee corded power tools, all are great, all made in Mexico.

Last company I worked at had a plant south of the border. They did the absolute stupidest thing, like buy parts from local Wisconsin suppliers, ship them to Mexico, and the plant down there in Mexico with all the hardware, seals, gaskets, o-rings, screws, nuts and bolts and they would make subassembles for us.  IF we captured an accurate freight cost on shipping everything across the border there's NO WAY that pencil's out.  But there's HUNDREDS of manufacturing plants 10 to 20 years old south of the border employing Mexican workers making stuff to ship to the USA.

I'm hesitant to buy anything anymore coming out of mexico or china for that matter I'm tired of these companies outsourcing parts  its ridiculous 

It was always my impression that CaseIH wasn't changing the numbers, it's just that there are several different Fleetguard filters all with the same thread and gasket diameter that fit. You can purchase any of the several numbers listed.

Here I suspect a simple mistake in production. Someone either put the wrong end caps in the line for 3316's or they mislabeled a batch of filters outwardly identical to 3316's, just with a 3/4" thread. It happens. Inconvenient, but he who has never made a mistake cast the first stone...

Oh gosh it has been 15 years ago my son got some filters at CaseIH for the autos and when he changed the filter on his 95 suburban there was NO threads in the filter. It was a fleet guard. Another time we changed the oil on the 7210 and the filter would not quit leaking around the gasket and we changed it and returned it and the new one didn't leak. This stuff is man made

Was helping my brother in law last night try to replace 4 u joints in the back of his kubota rtv. Got to the last u joint and it didn't fit. Sure enough it was bigger by I think 20mm both ways. Someone packaged the wrong u joint in that bag. 3 out of 4 ain't bad. 🤦‍♂️

Seems to be happening more and more. 

I've been getting the Fleetguard 3316's from A&I. Their website also lists the LF 3420 for 66 86 and 88 series tractors.,  They both have standpipes but one is 6.8" tall and the other is 8.06 " tall. Both are 30 micron.  ny other differences or are they interchangeable? 

When case moved filter production to mexico I started getting made in USA filters thru Hy-Capacity they are Baldwin. no problems good price.

10 minutes ago, randy hall said:

When case moved filter production to mexico I started getting made in USA filters thru Hy-Capacity they are Baldwin. no problems good price.

Oh no not Baldwin filter debate.  I personally think Baldwin are good filters but you will find out what everybody else thinks.

21 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Oh no not Baldwin filter debate.  I personally think Baldwin are good filters but you will find out what everybody else thinks.

2x but......... we have had issues