When do you need a CDL Heavy (heavy equipment, Tractors ?)

dale560

On 1/17/2022 at 8:18 AM, jeeper61 said:

That just gets you a cheaper registration fee.

The CDL requirement is still going by the manufacturer's tags.

And then do not go over the registered weight because that is what they will base the over weight limit on.

It seems to go by registered weight at least in NY.

I have a Chevy 3500HD dually with a GVWR of 12,500 IIRC. I have it registered for 10,000. Got pulled over for a BS speeding ticket (the first sign was obscured by a tree, deputy was pulled off the side of the road by the second sign with his lights on, there was a THIRD speed limit sign in that area when there are only two in every other speed zone in the state, and I was CLEARLY slowing down) with my bog standard Class D or whatever it is NY license. He didn't say boo. Just gave me a ticket for failing to follow a traffic device. Didn't want to see a CDL or logbook.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

If you have farm plates and a federal inspection sticker or your state sticker is the same as a fed sticker and you follow all the other dot regs you can go any where in the U.S.A.

California will be the exception

4 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

It seems to go by registered weight at least in NY.

I have a Chevy 3500HD dually with a GVWR of 12,500 IIRC. I have it registered for 10,000. Got pulled over for a BS speeding ticket (the first sign was obscured by a tree, deputy was pulled off the side of the road by the second sign with his lights on, there was a THIRD speed limit sign in that area when there are only two in every other speed zone in the state, and I was CLEARLY slowing down) with my bog standard Class D or whatever it is NY license. He didn't say boo. Just gave me a ticket for failing to follow a traffic device. Didn't want to see a CDL or logbook.

Registered weight in PA too.  Registering 12k and 14k trailers down to 10k to avoid cdl happens every day.  I have a 12k livestock trailer and a 12k deckover both registered at 10k.

On 1/16/2022 at 4:53 PM, hobbyfarm said:

There are definitely some kids operating this equipment that shouldn't be, at least out on the road anyway.

There was a fatal accident last year where someone fell asleep in a car and ran into a fendt tanker tractor head on.  The tractor operator reacted appropriately and wasn't at fault.  Im not so sure an inexperienced operator would have had the same outcome.

In the early 80's my cousin was taking two gravity wagons to an Agway with grain behind the 856. Car coming the other way crossed the line. Jim pulled off the road as much as he could and stopped. Guy who had fallen asleep side swiped the back wagon . I don't remember that anyone was badly hurt

On 1/17/2022 at 8:55 PM, mader656 said:

Leave tractor and trailer...get a gooseneck mover for 3pt load truck on trailer continue on your merry way....

Wouldn't fly in NY. The way it was explained to me was if it's on a ball, the laws apply. Gotta have lights and brakes and licensing even if pulled by a tractor. Put a drawpin in it and it becomes a farm trailer.

If the DOT officer let you do that though, that's proof positive they're out there to enforce the law not to d*ck over your day.

Archived