Jump to content

When do you need a CDL Heavy (heavy equipment, Tractors ?)


dale560
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just reading through the cdl requirements and this popped in my head. A lot of people up here do snow removal with payloaders. While they operate on private driveways or parking lots they have to travel streets between jobs. The law is any vehicle over 26001 lbs, you need a cdl. Most medium size 544 or 624k jds up here are right above that or heavier. So what do you guys think? I know farm equipment is exempt but that isn’t used for hire on duty streets and if it was it isn’t exempted operations. I will post the statutes and law here what do you guys think. I know years ago a big 988 size loader got a overweight ticket driving on the Street in Minot during weight restrictions they had tires mounted or service work were moving it back to shop and they got nabbed. These are the century codes for North Dakota as I read them then yes you would need one for anything over 26001 lb. they define vehicle as anything self propelled.

4DDDB09D-E537-4AC0-9F02-BA661752C14A.png

DF5E1808-3CDC-4C24-9A6C-3B573530A790.png

F6FE2706-3D0B-4C02-BB3D-78C78B1DA81F.png

3D8DCCD4-F321-4B2F-8881-BCD600FB8D1A.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know it's exempt in PA.Thats why so many custom manure haulers, chopping crews went away from trucks to tractors and carts. NO CDLs,no on road fuel usage,no tags, permits. Anyone can be in that tractor cab as long as they can reach the pedal and can push the throttle full bore ahead.And believe me I seen Mennonite kids 10 years old full bore in Fendt tractors pulling 3 axle manure tankers as fast as they will go with zero regard for traffic or what might happen if they can't get it stopped. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As I understand it the loader is not a commercial vehicle because it is designed for off road use.

However it might still be required to comply weight restrictions. You wouldn't want a 15 ton loader on a bridge rated for  2 ton.

Thx-Ace 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jacka said:

I know it's exempt in PA.Thats why so many custom manure haulers, chopping crews went away from trucks to tractors and carts. NO CDLs,no on road fuel usage,no tags, permits. Anyone can be in that tractor cab as long as they can reach the pedal and can push the throttle full bore ahead.And believe me I seen Mennonite kids 10 years old full bore in Fendt tractors pulling 3 axle manure tankers as fast as they will go with zero regard for traffic or what might happen if they can't get it stopped. 

That's a scary picture

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Truck cranes are a good example for your question. If they have a boom dolly, they are considered part of the crane and you still don’t need a class a cdl, but they will most likely have air brakes and then you have to have air brake endorsement.  
Wheel loaders are considered off road equipment here, and if being driven on the road, they will need an SMV and flashers. But I would call your state highway patrol to verify your state’s laws.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it is going to be state specific.  I have seen a lot of those on the road going lot to lot and done it myself a bunch of times and never had anyone hassle one.  Those instances were in NY and Ohio.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You need a "hydraulic" license to operate any equipment off your own property here.

Then a loader would need to be registered with a transport plate to be operated on a public road and falls under the CDL weight guidelines.

So basically you need two license here       

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, jeeper61 said:

Oh and with the transport plate you need to have a safety inspection sticker also 

soooo.  while going for inspection.....(no certified inspectors /credentialed )do you swing by the the DVM test track for the license?  would you need to bring a long a full bucket also?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, mmi said:

soooo.  while going for inspection.....(no certified inspectors /credentialed )do you swing by the the DVM test track for the license?  would you need to bring a long a full bucket also?

It is actually called a Excavator and Hoisting License there is written and a behind the controls exam.

You can go the the state's site or they can come to your yard or job site 

They would make it mandatory to be a union member also if they could get it passed by the legislators

They passed a law now that will require you to go to a truck driving school to get a CDL.

And I believe that is going to be nation wide.

They just want to get their hands in your wallet anytime they can and of course it is all about making you conform.

Put your mask on and study for the test  

 

Material covered in this course:

Proper equipment setup

Jobsite safety

Component recognition

Introduction to Hydraulic Theory

Inspection parameters

Standard hand signals

Safety standards wisdom

Introduction to excavators

Excavator safety

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found the answers to my question just a bit ago. Under the FMSCa site. It explains most of the common questions. These are rules that almost every state follows.

 1 You do need a cdl for a crane if it is transported on roads between jobs. 

  2  there is no air brake endorsement just a restriction. You can drive a truck under 26001 lb with air brakes and a class D license.

  3. There is a ag exemption for most of the cdl requirements. There is also a exemption of custom harvesting that is where the kids driving tractors and hauling ag products are exempt.

   4. There are very limited exemptions for firefighters and emergency personnel. And a specific snow removal exemption for municipalities.

  5. One of the questions they answered was mine . Heavy equipment as long as it is being transported to site or driven you are okay. You can’t use it for transportation or engage in commerce with it then you do.

DCF2CEC1-BD15-442D-851D-65D8FA10AF19.png

A25C6B8E-DFB2-46AA-9910-9264471B32AB.png

5FC1980F-3944-4C5F-9557-5C9FF1A359B3.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its area specific! ---around here you have to have CDL for most anything operated for pay.  In this area you have to have to have CDL to drive for the township, county, and state, even if its just their pickup or small skidloader. -- check your LOCAL laws first and see what they recommend  to be safe!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

It is actually called a Excavator and Hoisting License there is written and a behind the controls exam.

You can go the the state's site or they can come to your yard or job site 

They would make it mandatory to be a union member also if they could get it passed by the legislators

They passed a law now that will require you to go to a truck driving school to get a CDL.

And I believe that is going to be nation wide.

They just want to get their hands in your wallet anytime they can and of course it is all about making you conform.

Put your mask on and study for the test  

 

Material covered in this course:

Proper equipment setup

Jobsite safety

Component recognition

Introduction to Hydraulic Theory

Inspection parameters

Standard hand signals

Safety standards wisdom

Introduction to excavators

Excavator safety

Good lord.  So if I run my loader down the road to pickup bales on a property I own I need a license, a plate, etc?  What is next?  They forgot the license to move in together or pro create.  I would say get married but many just shack up anymore.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Jacka said:

I know it's exempt in PA.Thats why so many custom manure haulers, chopping crews went away from trucks to tractors and carts. NO CDLs,no on road fuel usage,no tags, permits. Anyone can be in that tractor cab as long as they can reach the pedal and can push the throttle full bore ahead.And believe me I seen Mennonite kids 10 years old full bore in Fendt tractors pulling 3 axle manure tankers as fast as they will go with zero regard for traffic or what might happen if they can't get it stopped. 

There are definitely some kids operating this equipment that shouldn't be, at least out on the road anyway.

There was a fatal accident last year where someone fell asleep in a car and ran into a fendt tanker tractor head on.  The tractor operator reacted appropriately and wasn't at fault.  Im not so sure an inexperienced operator would have had the same outcome.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SONNY said:

Its area specific! ---around here you have to have CDL for most anything operated for pay.  In this area you have to have to have CDL to drive for the township, county, and state, even if its just their pickup or small skidloader. -- check your LOCAL laws first and see what they recommend  to be safe!

I believe our laws are al ost the same as yours. There is a set of guidelines the federal government has and only a few exemptions vary state to state. And as I read it we would need a cdl in town or for the county. The point that sets this apart is we are operating on the streets all the time not moving from job to job. Here at the city they will let you take the cdl test while clocked in so I went and got mine and are working on all the endorsements except for bus driving. I figure why not if it is on work time. The other fellows are griping because they had their CDLs before and one guy can’t because of lifetime alcohol suspension. When I started at city they said you don’t need cdl but that is as our supervisors not the mayor or city attorney and as it turns out you definitely do for trucks and I would say the loader , blade and such also. One of our public works committee man is a just retired patrolman / truck inspector from ND hiway patrol. He will know or have access to the right answers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

Good lord.  So if I run my loader down the road to pickup bales on a property I own I need a license, a plate, etc?  What is next?  They forgot the license to move in together or pro create.  I would say get married but many just shack up anymore.

If you are a registered farm then you can operate on the road with out the license, plate and inspection for agricultural reasons i.e. going between fields, hauling crop etc.....    

If you are going down the road to do work for money like loading gravel etc.... you need them all 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The other requirement in our state is you need a medical card just like CDL 

IMO its just gone to far

As I see it you need the license to mow lawns for money 

And some urban cities have made the requirement for all operation so you technically you can't operate on your own property unless you have a farm classification. 

Below is the requirement for the need of the license 

"An Excavator and Hoisting License is required to operate power construction equipment that uses steam, internal combustion engines, electric or compressed air of five (5) horsepower or more and/or lift more than 500 pounds. Hoisting Engineers also use machinery to move construction materials, excavate earth and other heavy materials and to apply asphalt and concrete to roads and other structures."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another place people don’t realize you need a cdl. Is pulling trailer behind a pickup. If it is over 10,000 lbs you need a license. That is trailer and load being 10,000 lbs or more. If it is legitimate ag related you can be exempt but hauling your tractor to a show doesn’t fly. That and gooseneck trailer. If pickup , trailer are gvwr combined over 26000 you need a cdl. So unless it is legitimate to raising or selling ag produce you need a cdl. Also campers or motor homes are exempt even a semi pulling a 45 ft camper would be exempt if not used for business just a personal camper.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jeeper61 said:

The other requirement in our state is you need a medical card just like CDL 

IMO its just gone to far

As I see it you need the license to mow lawns for money 

And some urban cities have made the requirement for all operation so you technically you can't operate on your own property unless you have a farm classification. 

Below is the requirement for the need of the license 

"An Excavator and Hoisting License is required to operate power construction equipment that uses steam, internal combustion engines, electric or compressed air of five (5) horsepower or more and/or lift more than 500 pounds. Hoisting Engineers also use machinery to move construction materials, excavate earth and other heavy materials and to apply asphalt and concrete to roads and other structures."

With all the regulations how is the equipment rental business?  It is pretty big here for both homeowner and contractors renting from a rental yard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dale560 said:

Another place people don’t realize you need a cdl. Is pulling trailer behind a pickup. If it is over 10,000 lbs you need a license. That is trailer and load being 10,000 lbs or more. If it is legitimate ag related you can be exempt but hauling your tractor to a show doesn’t fly. That and gooseneck trailer. If pickup , trailer are gvwr combined over 26000 you need a cdl. So unless it is legitimate to raising or selling ag produce you need a cdl. Also campers or motor homes are exempt even a semi pulling a 45 ft camper would be exempt if not used for business just a personal camper.

2 comments

The camper exemption is a loophole for sure.  Not that I want retired guys to get a cdl for their motorhome but I've seen a lot of incompetent travel trailer drivers etc.  I worked at a campground in my youth.  

I think the pickup and 10k trailer weight is pretty misunderstood.  With all the mini excavators and skid loaders being hauled around I suspect there are some illegal loads.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

how is the equipment rental business? 

Good

A lot of contractors rent but you need the license to rent anything bigger than a compact tractor   

The other business doing well is equipment transportation   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hobbyfarm said:

2 comments

The camper exemption is a loophole for sure.  Not that I want retired guys to get a cdl for their motorhome but I've seen a lot of incompetent travel trailer drivers etc.  I worked at a campground in my youth.  

I think the pickup and 10k trailer weight is pretty misunderstood.  With all the mini excavators and skid loaders being hauled around I suspect there are some illegal loads.

Most of them are illegal. I didn’t know about the 10,000 lb trailer either until researching law. Makes any hobbiest pulling a medium size tractor around need a cdl.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And to add a little smoke to the fire....

When the regulation came out here a few years ago. 

Language stated pulling a GN trailer (can't remember all the language) over I think 100 miles from home with the intent of making money required a CDL

This put most the ropers on the CDL list. 

Raised quite a ruckus. 

Pretty sure most didn't bother and never heard of any of 'em getting cited for it. 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mader656 said:

Currently working toward the cdl. It doesn't take much trailer with a 5500 to hit that 26000 mark...

Hope you get it done before feb. 7. If you have a permit now you are good. But after feb you need training.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...