almost another oil thread - grease gun

searcyfarms

i saw a thread a while ago about grease guns but searched the archives and coulding find it for some reason i think it was a topic that got off on a rabbit trail maybe - do any of you use or have used battery powered grease guns? do you like them? descent luck? how about the lock on type tip? are those a joke or do they really work and not spew grease all over ? 

i have the pistol grip one hander, rubber hose type and rigid tube type but boy on the disc last yr i work myself out LOL and that kubota skid steer is about as bad 

4 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

18 volt Milwaukee with a Lock N Lube coupler.  Hands down the best setup that I have ever used!!!

thanks jeff can you get the tip into most places or did you get the long lock n lube tip?  

I have a Dewalt and I do not have the lock in lube, but I want to upgrade to that.  I didn't even know they made an electric grease gun till a couple years ago, but after using one I ponied up the 200 bucks to have one of my own.  

It's hands down one of the best tools I've ever bought.   The Milwaukee may be better IDK, but you definitely want a quality electric grease gun I do know that! :)

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

thanks jeff can you get the tip into most places or did you get the long lock n lube tip?  

I have only run into LESS THAN half of a dozen fittings that the standard coupler will not connect to.  Changing the grease zerk to a 45 degree zerk took care of most of those.

There are some fittings (Ford Super Duty upper ball joints) that a right angle coupler is necessary regardless of the tip on the grease gun.

I have never tried the Lock N Lube XL long reach tip so I cannot comment upon it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1586 Jeff said:

18 volt Milwaukee with a Lock N Lube coupler.  Hands down the best setup that I have ever used!!!

8 minutes ago, junkandcattle said:

I liked my Lincoln but I LOVE the Milwaukee. It will push grease it one handed with that locking coupler where the Lincoln would stall out or blow grease

I started out with a Lincoln too. It was fine until it quit. 

The Milwaukee I have now will run circles around it. 

Puts the "ease" in grease............ing😜😄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve always made jokes about guys using cordless grease guns. Never used an one until today, greasing a skid steer and mounted snow blower. It was a Dewalt. I think I need one of those in my life 😂 and maybe another for my Dad. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

We run lock-n-lube tips and we have an 18" long grease gun hose with a non lock-n-lube tip and a grease zerk on the second end to clip on to do anything that the lock n-lube won't fit on 

• Like 1

20 volt Dewalt with Lock N Lube. I keep a hand gun with a narrow tip for the odd fitting that the Lock N Lube won't fit. I also keep a long needle point for the ones the even a narrow tip can't get - occasional U-Joint or similar.

Dewalt uses the same 20 volt as the rest of my cordless. Buy one that uses the same batteries as the rest of your tools. They all seem to work well. I've got one machine that will take 90% of a tube so the battery gun is worth it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1586 Jeff said:

X2.  We use an alemite tip.  We grease a lot.  
2 cases a week min.  We have Milwaukee tools so that helps.  IMHO Milwaukee gun seems more balanced than dewalt.  

• Thanks 1

My boss has a Milwaukee with a Lock-n-lube...Best tool ever besides the 1/2 inch impact except that we are constantly wearing out the tips.

1 hour ago, bitty said:

We run lock-n-lube tips and we have an 18" long grease gun hose with a non lock-n-lube tip and a grease zerk on the second end to clip on to do anything that the lock n-lube won't fit on 

We have an air greaser for 115 lb tubs , one in the shop and one on the service truck. Run about a 4' hose between the trigger and the lock-n-lube . I will probably eventually get a cordless for at home. 

IMG_20220114_201043741.jpg

IMG_20220114_201048303.jpg

I do the same as bitty with the adapter hose. I have a Milwaukee m18 with the lock n lube coupler. Works great. It’s really nice on the heavy equipment that takes lots of grease. Hook it on set the grease counter and walk away to check other stuff while it pumps.  You may find yourself going through more grease as a result if it being so easy to use though. 

We have a Milwaukee with a lock n lube. It’s enough of a PITA for automotive stuff that i take a pistol grip gun into the grease pit. That said the Milwaukee grease gun is an animal. With the locking coupler you can take advantage of low gear for tough fittings. 
the gun is tough too, dad ran it over 8-10 times with the backhoe the other day in semi frozen ground. Cleaned it out carefully to get grit out and it was off to the races again. 

I'll be that guy that throws water on a party. With powered grease guns, make sure not to inject grease under your skin. It ain't purty and it could cost you. With grease, there could be three days that everything seems fine, then complications set in. A guy I barely know almost lost his hand.

Injection Injuries

• Like 1