ud18a fire rings

hosmercattle

2 hours ago, hosmercattle said:

Has anybody reused fire rings before with any luck or used new ones every time? I read somewhere about annealing them but wanted others opinions before i attempt anything.  thanks a lot

i have the heads off my 18 and just plan on reusing the fire rings as they are. they look good to me. i also heard of annealing them.

44 minutes ago, hosmercattle said:

what about the head gasket? reuse that as well or put anything on it? Im trying to put this ud18a back together and also have a ud14 as well that needs some work. Thanks 

my head gaskets look pretty good so i even thought of reusing them.  i always use permatex high tack spray on my head gaskets, and all gaskets.

I reused fire rings on a Lamberdini? ( Italian two cylinder diesel ) and that went OK and or maybe a Deutz. That is a bit sketchy but was in a bind. 

Reusing head gaskets is double sketchy but I have seen it done. The company I saw do that had a large auction buy sell retail kind of deal. They would mix and match heads to different engines. They used silicone on them. Sold as is where is. They worked long enough to sell and I would not do that.

• Sad 1

yes i know but a real mechanic will know what he can get away with and what will and what wont work. i would want to actually see the gasket.

ok thanks a lot for the advice. We got the engine apart today and we have bigger problems then i first thought. 3 out of the 6 liners we got out of a spare engine are cracked so I guess i am now on the hunt for parts. Was hoping just had to replace the liner o-rings but looking to be a bigger project.Oh well that's how it goes. If anyone has any ideas where to get parts would be much appreciated. Thanks again

There were 2 materials used for fire rings, copper and I believe iron, only the copper are recommended to be re annealed, The UD or other model 14 engines used the same liners, rods, pistons, just a 4 cylinder version of the 691. You mentioned you have a 14 project if you have spares they can be a source 

• Like 1

I have another question regarding that ud14 engine. We got it from a neighbour as a non runner. Was told it had a bent push rod. after taking valve cover off discovered that 3 out of the 4 exhaust valve pushrods were bent. What would cause this? Seems odd to me that just the exhaust pushrods would bend. Is it possible that it got out of time somehow or something wrong with cam? Looking for possible ideas where to start looking 

1 hour ago, hosmercattle said:

I have another question regarding that ud14 engine. We got it from a neighbour as a non runner. Was told it had a bent push rod. after taking valve cover off discovered that 3 out of the 4 exhaust valve pushrods were bent. What would cause this? Seems odd to me that just the exhaust pushrods would bend. Is it possible that it got out of time somehow or something wrong with cam? Looking for possible ideas where to start looking 

well have u checked the valves? if they are stuck that will bend the rods. happens every time.

21 hours ago, hosmercattle said:

all valves seem to be ok 

dont know what that means,... " seam ok"   . get your self a hammer handle or what ever and push down on each rocker. if they push down and snap back up they are not stuck. if they push down and stay down or cant push them down that is the problem. have you  checked them like that?  not going to tell a thing just to look at them. same with the gas starting valves under the caps,... push on each cap and it should snap back up.