loadstar 345 engine "what do do with governor style 2bbl??"

Casrak777

im putting in an aftermarket electronic distributor to eliminate the governered distributor, but it still has the vacuum governed carb.  Can anyone give me advice on how to make this carb work correctly on this?  I got a carb rebuild kit, and have cleaned parts thoroughly.  Can i use this carb and eliminate the vacuum governor?  Can someone also give me the base settings for the idle mixture and main throttle side adjustment screws?  I believe the base setting for the idle mix screws is, bottom ouy lightly and one complete turn out.  but not completetly sure on any of the 3 screws.  Im mainly worried about being able to use this carb at all with the vacuum governor.

20220113_162354.jpg

20220107_190241.jpg

20220107_190250.jpg

20220107_190235.jpg

yes you can do without the carb portion,simply un hook speed limiter,  as for dist,would require 1 with auto advance, beyond that it has been 44+ years............ when everyone had baskets/acres of whatever

I'm no help to you but the 345 V8 I have in an old 59 BCF-180 tandem truck is a 4 barrel Holley, I think.  Can check it out for a picture if you want but it's in back field under a snow bank!   

And nice job on the rebuild, BTW.

The easy way is to replace it with a standard carburetor without the governor. A standard holley 2300 2bbl will work as well as several others.

I have disabled the governor on the 2bbl carburetor in a 74 loadstar 345. Using some tie wire inside I modified the governor box on the carburetor. I don't remember exactly what I did but I disconnected the vacuum diaphragm and tied something together. Without modification it would stay wide open...

Thx-Ace 

• Like 1

You can snip of governor rod on other side of carb and make sure spring is tight enough to pull against throttle shaft. Problem is those carbs wear on bushings and everything gets loose. A rebuilt non gov carb probably is best bet. We used to do the elimination almost once a week but have forgotten more than I knew about them. You have to make sure diaphragm is good on governed pr they leak vacuum. Chevy 4 bbl were bad for being worn out

There is a vacuum circuit that goes through the distributor.  If you'll notice it draws clean air from the carburetor air horn and then connects to the carb near the governor diaphragm.  Just fabricate a vacuum hose that bypasses the distributor.  It draws vacuum through the distributor, when the RPM gets high enough it begins to plug that flow, as it blocks the flow it begins to pull on the diaphragm.  You cannot block or plug the vacuum, you need to just bypass the distributor.  You don't need to change anything in the distributor.  

7 hours ago, farmall57 said:

There is a vacuum circuit that goes through the distributor.  If you'll notice it draws clean air from the carburetor air horn and then connects to the carb near the governor diaphragm.  Just fabricate a vacuum hose that bypasses the distributor.  It draws vacuum through the distributor, when the RPM gets high enough it begins to plug that flow, as it blocks the flow it begins to pull on the diaphragm.  You cannot block or plug the vacuum, you need to just bypass the distributor.  You don't need to change anything in the distributor.  

If you leave diaphragm hooked up they cause all types of problems. The best thing is to snip the rod so it can’t govern but make sure it is a good diaphragm if you do it. Used to fix those carbs a lot years ago but forgot most of the tricks.The Chevy truck Holley 4 bbl were bad for wearing and letting the intake manifold vacuum overcome spring that held plates against governor actuator. You would be tootling along wide open and truck engine vacuum would pull blades back to idle with throttle wide open. If you let truck idle and shut off everything would work for a while. I used to have a different spring from a hardware set that was a bit stronger for those problems. But they all should have had major work done on throttle shaft and bushings. Back then the edelbrock 4 bbl was a good replacement but if you didn’t make the throttle rod the correct length you weren’t getting wide open. Dads 1600 loadstar were non governed from factory.