806 no steering

brewcrew

I ran my 806 all spring summer and fall without issue. Last winter I used it a couple times without issue. Yesterday I started it to grind feed but it wouldn’t steer. It would move just a little with chattering, and the brakes (although soft) would pull it around a little more. A couple times I lost all movement through the clutch. My first thought was water in the hydraulic fluid frozen up. I got it in an insulated building with a torpedo heater on it. Today’s temps are around 40, and I probably had close to 50 inside, but it still won’t steer. The wheel spins mostly free, but acts like you are winding up a rubber band by the fourth revolution. Would it take longer to thaw the oil inside? Am I looking at a bad mcv pump? It doesn’t seem to get better after the tractor has run a while.

15 hours ago, stronger800 said:

Worth a shot to remove that 5/8” hex plug on the rear of the mcv, and see if it fires out air when you start it 

X2 on this. My 806 sat for a year on a slight incline and I had no steering when I started it up. Did this and fixed my problem. Be aware, it will most assuredly spurt a good bit of fluid out when it picks up!

1 hour ago, Redpower1256 said:

X2 on this. My 806 sat for a year on a slight incline and I had no steering when I started it up. Did this and fixed my problem. Be aware, it will most assuredly spurt a good bit of fluid out when it picks up!

We have a lot of IH tractors that are transported nose up on a step deck trailer.  Often, they need the air purged for steering, etc. to work after unloading. 

2 hours ago, stronger800 said:

Good deal. It look pretty bad? 

There were a few flakes of something in the filter housing, and the filter was visibly stressed. It was definitely good to change it!